Confession Burn

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Confession Burn

Postby Daywalker » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:36 am

Is it just me or does the regular use of that power seem a little too powerful? I was working on a priest for a WW2 game a friend is running and I thought that power would be perfect. I was planning on playing a character that is using the rope Judas hung himself from as an item of power and that the power seemed appropriate.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The BLur » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:45 am

i posted this elsewhere i'll copy it here, i think this balances it more

basically you use the persons sins to hurt them

Range: normal
standard action

damage save = 15 + ....

totally innocent person = no damage ex, small child, mother teresa.
average person = PL - 5 ex, everyday man with good moral code, but nobodys perfect.

crook type = PL ex, drug dealer, small time theif, guy who cheats on his wife

murderer = PL + 5 ex, crazy postman, most villains

super evil person = PL + 10 ex, ted bundy, evil super genius bent on world domination

there is no other way to effect the DM save other than how evil the other person is.
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby The BLur » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:47 am

I would let you use this version, does it seem ok to you?
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby Daywalker » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:58 pm

Sounds better, its more along the lines of the extra that you can get with this power. Anyone else have any suggestions we could look at?
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Max_Maze » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:29 pm

You do have a Sense Effect in there I hope? Or at least a Detect(evil) Feat. Otherwise this power does double duty without paying for it.
Max_Maze
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The BLur » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:39 am

You do have a Sense Effect in there I hope? Or at least a Detect(evil) Feat. Otherwise this power does double duty without paying for it.

could you explain this?
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby DarkTouch » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:34 am

I think he's refering to the way the Trigger extra works. You pay one extra for a standard trigger and 2 extras for it to trigger on something you don't see coming or couldn't normally detect.
My Blue Rose Character Sheet - Version 0.6 (Now OGL Compliant) Feedback welcome.
DarkTouch
Booster
Booster

Postby Daywalker » Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:02 pm

Why would you need a trigger effect? This power is very similar to what Ghost Rider can do and just like him a character using this power would have a good sense of whether or not it would work on someone. You don't need a detect ability to see if someone is evil. Someoen's actions would be a good enough indicator.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby lovecraft » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:19 pm

why do you think it's to powerfull? the power cost 3 points a rank and on average does less damage then energy blast while EB cost only 2 points a rank, i think it is about right where it is, it does alittle bit less damage against mooks but does alittle bit better damage against world destroying villions
lovecraft
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:05 pm

The reason this effect is overpowered is that it's basically a PL 20 energy blast, which is just flawed to be reduced effect against some types of target you probably don't care about in the first place.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby lovecraft » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:41 pm

i don't have my book with me right now but lets say your using it on an average villian, i think it was like +10 or how ever it words it, so thats 10 plus your lvl so lets say your lvl 10 then it would be a DC of 20 while an EB would be a lvl 10 + 15 that would be 25 so it's less powerful there but against the likes of omaga i think his name is it would bc lvl 10 + 20 so a DC of 30 not to much more powerful then EB but just enough to make it cost an extra point per lvl
lovecraft
Bystander
Bystander

Postby arcady » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:45 pm

The problem is that you only need one rank in the power to get the full effect.

The same concept could be built with Energy Blast with a flaw that it only does certain fractions of it's damage against people based on their morality. Only doing it this way is balanced and doesn't violate stacking rules.
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby lovecraft » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:50 pm

well lvl does matter bc if you only have lvl one then against say omaga it would do 1 + 20 so it would bc a DC of 21 while a lvl 10 would bc a DC of 30

the lvl of the power does the same as EB the specal rule that it had mods the other number, on a normal EB the number is 15 while confession burn alters that number up and down depending on the evilness (is that even a work :P)
lovecraft
Bystander
Bystander

Postby arcady » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:09 pm

That's not what it says in the book... What are you refering to?
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kid Vorpal » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:02 pm

I seem to remember the author posting under another topic, with an impromptu errata that said the power's rank should be added to the DC of the damage check.

Not sure where it was, but you could probably track it down if you did a search.
One shot, one kill; two shots, sure thing.
Kid Vorpal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Max_Maze » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

The BLur wrote:

could you explain this?

Any power that only works (in a detectable way) if the target has some characteristic, can be used to detect that characteristic in targets. In this case you could go around using the power on people to find out if they are evil or not. This can be just as disruptive as telepathy. You cannot even get a power to counter it, or would Invisibility to Detect(evil) make you immune to the power?

I’ve had problems with powers like that, so now I rule that unless you can detect the characteristic by some other means, the power does not work at all. And, no it is usually not enough to judge people by their actions (unless the characteristic is 'having performed action X'). Powers like this removes doubt, which can be important in a scenario.
Max_Maze
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby mgg » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:45 pm

I do not own the supplement. Is the effect visibly different depending on the target? The GM could keep the damage roll secret, if there is no obvious difference. Since the effect is potentially dangerous to almost everyone, that should work fine.

That being said, it sounds like a power I wouldn't use in most games I run.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby The BLur » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:49 am

The GM could keep the damage roll secret, if there is no obvious difference. Since the effect is potentially dangerous to almost everyone, that should work fine.

excatly how i plan to handle it.

I don't see it as too dangerously unbalanced.
considering, that you can easily take suprise strike, power attack and other feats on top of EB, you cannot do this with confession burn since it isnt a physical attack in the same sense. well, i won't let it in anycase. "i use power attack to make his sins hurt him more" or "since i suprise him, his sins hurt him more" obviously not.

So EB with suprise strike lets say. PL10 would force a 30 dm save. against anyone he suprises. or uses power attack on.

with confession burn, yes against super evil people, it would force a 35, but against another superhero who is being mind controlled, it would do say a 20 or possibly nothing depending on the person. it has its ups and downs just liek anything else
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Confession Burn errata

Postby Lee Hammock » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:41 am

Sadly my wording for Confession Burn was not clear. The base damages listed for the power are added to your rank in the power for the DC of the damage save, so against most people the power is less useful or as useful as energy blast, while against really evil people it is more useful. We're going to be doing a revised version of the book in the future that will clear up similar mistakes and give more examples.

I personally would say the person using the power would have some idea of the damage it inflicted on its opponent based on the actual wounds suffered, so a person could be really evil or just have a good damage save. I would probably allow an extra that lets the user of Confession Burn know the "evil level" of their target.

Lee Hammock
Lee Hammock
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Confession Burn errata

Postby Kid Vorpal » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:43 pm

Lee Hammock wrote:We're going to be doing a revised version of the book in the future that will clear up similar mistakes and give more examples.

Is this updated version going to be a free download for people who've already purchased the first edition? I'd hate to have to shell out more money just to get the "fixes".

Just curious.
Kid Vorpal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby lovecraft » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:52 pm

i wonder that to, would the people who already payed for it have to buy it again or do we get the update for free?
lovecraft
Bystander
Bystander

Revised edition

Postby Lee Hammock » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:44 pm

As far as I know the revised edition is going to be free to people who already purchased Power Corrupts (granted, I'm only the writer, not the business guy).

Lee Hammock
Lee Hammock
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Revised edition

Postby LMPjr007 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:03 am

Lee Hammock wrote:As far as I know the revised edition is going to be free to people who already purchased Power Corrupts (granted, I'm only the writer, not the business guy).

Lee Hammock

We will be doing an update for Power Corrupts and it will be free to those who have already purchased it.
Peace,

Louis Porter, Jr.
Louis Porter, Jr. Design
www.lpjdesign.com
LMPjr007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Daywalker » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:23 pm

Thats cool to hear. I have to say that everything I've gotten from Mr. Porter has been a worthwhile purchase.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Kid Vorpal » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:55 pm

This is good news, and only adds to my satisfaction with the purchase of their book.

I'm anxiously awaiting PC2 - keep up the good work!
Kid Vorpal
Bystander
Bystander

Next

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives