New Power - Teleport Other

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

New Power - Teleport Other

Postby bcr19374 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:05 am

One of my players wants the power to Teleport Others, so here's my first crack at it:

Teleport Other
Cost: 2
Action: Half
Range: Touch
Duration: Instant

You can cause items you touch to teleport. You may teleport 50 pounds of objects or characters per rank in the power up to 5 feet per rank in the power. As a full action you may move items twice that distance but you lose any dodge bonuses to defense. You can teleport things only within sight or to place you know very well (in the GM’s judgement).

Unwilling creatures receive Will saves opposed by your power check. If the target makes the save he is not teleported but the action is used.

Power Stunts
· Precise Teleport: You are able to teleport small objects or parts of objects. You may add your power rank to Open Lock or Disable Device rolls to represent removing an integral part of the lock or device. Precise teleport is always a full round action due to the amount of focus the teleporter must use.
· Teleport Weapon: You can attempt to disarm an opponent by teleporting away his weapon. Make the opposed attack roll for disarm and if you succeed, you can teleport the weapon anywhere in range.

Extras
· Range: You can teleport anything within your teleport range anywhere else within your teleport range.
· Teleport into Objects: You can attempt to teleport an object or character into a solid object of hardness up to your power level. The target suffers lethal damage equal to the object’s hardness and saves against this damage using only his Constitution bonus. If the target is not disabled, he is ejected immediately into the nearest open space. If you are disabled, you are trapped in the object and dying.

The one thing I'm unsure about it how Teleport Weapon should work with the Range extra. Maybe a ranged touch attack? Or just a Will save?
Last edited by bcr19374 on Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:30 pm

Cool idea. Perhaps teleport with the flaw others only and the extra sight would work better. Just a thought. :)
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby bcr19374 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:13 pm

It basically works out the same. I only broke it into it's own power because of the new stunts and extras.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:33 pm

I think there is a word or two missing in the line about resisting the power.

Presumably you can't teleport people into solid objects, right?
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby bcr19374 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:45 pm

mgg wrote:I think there is a word or two missing in the line about resisting the power.

Presumably you can't teleport people into solid objects, right?

I fixed that typo, thanks. Teleport into Object is an extra. It was there before but I forgot to copy the rules from Incorporeal. They're there now.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Die Feuerschatten » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:49 pm

Cool. Now I can make Dr. Manhattan. ;) Whatcha think his PL would be anyway?
Die Feuerschatten
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby bcr19374 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:06 pm

I'd imagine he'd be a 20 at least. He could change into any substance, create objects, grow, all the immunities, etc.

Whereas nobody else in the book was probably higher than PL10. You could probably do some of the Golden Age types even lower than that. Hell, Rorschach's main power was being crazy.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Die Feuerschatten » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:18 pm

bcr19374 wrote:I'd imagine he'd be a 20 at least. He could change into any substance, create objects, grow, all the immunities, etc. Whereas nobody else in the book was probably higher than PL10. You could probably do some of the Golden Age types even lower than that. Hell, Rorschach's main power was being crazy.

Yeah, it was a group with six Punishers and one Galactus, lol.
Die Feuerschatten
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby palehorse » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:45 pm

I keep meaning to figure out what level of teleport would be necessary to make it to Mars...

Lets see...

Mean distance from Mars to Earth = 78.39 x 10^6 km

Thats about... 257,184,263,700 feet. Round it off to 260 billion to make it easier.

Assume that he has Extended Teleport and is using it for this trip.

According to my calculations, that would be PL 29:
Base teleport = 145 feet
Sprint w/ Extended TP = x 2,147,483,648
Max teleport distance = 311,385,128,960 feet

Not bad for 87 points... :)
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Ryan_Singer » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:48 pm

jesus. You're telling me that Dr. Manhattan was PL29-30?!? wow. impressive.
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby palehorse » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:54 pm

That's pretty much the bare minimum... I imagine it would be higher, in the 40's or 50's.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby horned god » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:24 pm

If you make teleport others like that almost any player alive will simply take it as an extra of Teleport and in reality he will get the power to teleport others for 1pp per rank.

would any player take this power by itself, probably not. How about 3pp per rank, this way he can teleport and teleport others at the same cost and still take teleport others as an extra. I would not allow someone to take power and then take teleport as an extra, only the reverse.

Just a thought.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bcr19374 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:57 pm

Well, I make some assumption that players won't pick a power as an extra just for the hell of it. One of my players specifically wanted a Teleport Others power without a Teleport Self power. You could basically get this by taking Teleport and Extras to increase the range.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Noob question

Postby Robert Harrison » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:43 pm

A buddy and I were running some mock combats with M&M today (I'm considering using it for an upcoming supers game). My buddy's character has Teleporation with the Range (normal) extra, and he wanted to teleport a nearby van to a spot 80' above a brick he was battling (with the idea that the van would fall on the brick).

I ruled that he could only teleport objects equal to power rank X 50 lbs, + his weight, which meant that he couldn't teleport the van (his rank was only eight). Was this a correct application of the rules? How can you build a teleport power that can move objects heavier than p.r. X 50 lbs?
Robert Harrison
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Noob question

Postby bcr19374 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:23 pm

Robert Harrison wrote:A buddy and I were running some mock combats with M&M today (I'm considering using it for an upcoming supers game). My buddy's character has Teleporation with the Range (normal) extra, and he wanted to teleport a nearby van to a spot 80' above a brick he was battling (with the idea that the van would fall on the brick).

I ruled that he could only teleport objects equal to power rank X 50 lbs, + his weight, which meant that he couldn't teleport the van (his rank was only eight). Was this a correct application of the rules? How can you build a teleport power that can move objects heavier than p.r. X 50 lbs?

Hmm, interesting question. The Teleport power in the book does 50 per rank but the Telekinesis does a base of 100 with each rank doubling it. I suppose the much lower weight on teleporting is so that you can't just teleport buildings all over the place. Of course, with Telekinesis you could just pick them up and toss them around.

My initial reaction was to allow a full action that would allow you to double the weight you could move. But at PL8 this would still only move 800 pounds which is less than an average car. Possibly a power stunt that each time you buy it, it doubles the base amount. So if you buy the stunt once to get a base of 100 pounds per rank, twice 200 pounds per rank. Alternately, get an extra that makes the weight double every rank instead of just adding 50.
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Transmit

Postby digitalRonin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:19 am

I made a teleporting power based on telekinesis, called transmit

TRANSMIT
Cost: 2
Action: Half
Range: Normal
Duration: Instant

You can cause an object to move instantly from place to place without crossing the distance in between. You can move a base 100 lbs. For each additional power rank, the weight you can transmit doubles (so 100 lbs. at rank 1, 200 lbs. at rank 2, etc.). You can use this power to move other beings. You must make a normal ranged attack roll against the target. Unwilling targets receive a Will save opposed by your power check when you try to move the target or to tear an object from the target's grasp. You cannot move yourself or directly damage objects with Transmit without the appropriate extra.

Force fields (and certain other energy fields, at the GM's discretion) block transmit. You must make a Transmit check (DC 10 + the intensity or rank of the energy field) to successfully Transmit through a force field. A failed check means the target doesn?t go anywhere.

EXTRAS

- Teleportation: You can move yourself with your Transmit, giving you Teleportation at your power rank.

- Disruption: You can inflict cellular disruption against living targets by transmitting a portion of them away. This does lethal damage equal to your power rank, and targets make a normal Damage save against it.

- Destruction: You can transmit object in pieces that never reappear, effectively destroying it like a use of Disintegrate (p. 66).

- Restoration: You can instantly restore up to all objects you have disintegrated (within range) at will, repairing all the damage done to those objects. Once a number of days equal to your power rank have passed, disintegrated objects are forever lost. You must have the Destruction extra

- Subtle: You can transmit targets without being noticed. For example removing something from someone pocket without them noticing.

FLAW

- Limited-One Material: You can transmit only a single type of material, such as wood, metal, stone, etc.
digitalRonin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives