Teen Titans Cartoon this Saturday!

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby palehorse » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:04 pm

Inazuma said:
If it was aimed at a younger audience, it'd be on earlier. But it's only on late nights (it just repeated here on Sunday night).

I beg to differ...

Cartoon Network VP Sam Register said:

"'Justice League' is awesome and 'Samurai Jack' is awesome and we buy a lot of anime shows that're great," Register said, "but those shows really are directed more towards the nine to fourteen age group and the six and seven and eight year olds, were not gelling with the 'Justice League' and some of the more of the fanboy shows.

"The main mission was making a good superhero show for kids," he continued. "Now if the fanboys happen to like the 'Teen Titans' also, that's great, but that was not our mission."

Read the whole interview here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... gi?id=2223
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:21 am

Flat out loved it.

I also didn't find it especially childish- it was just cast with a different mold than JLA and Bats/Supes adventures. I enjoyed the hybrid anime/timm styling, and the animation was soooooo smooth (hope they keep the quality up- on of my bigest peeves is slacking on the quality of the animation in a show like this).

It harkens to the basic absurdity of the source material... I mean please- the TEEN TITANS. Sounds like a website for barley legal female six footers.

-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Witchblade » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:39 am

Finally managed to catch it (missed it on Saturday). The theme song; well, it's certainly retro-ish. My wife found it nauseating, I found (much to my dismay) that it kind of grows on you (it's running through my head right now). As for the rest of the show, it wasn't what I expected, but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated, either. I found it entertaining, despite it's target audience (which seems to be those who have never read the comics and are under the age of 13). I like the anime stylings and hope they manage to keep that.

As for the characters themselves, I like Starfire's naivette and innocence (and her feelings for Robin show through nicely). Robin was played as I expected, a leader trained under the world's greatest detective. Beast Boy is, well, Beast Boy. I have to agree that they could not have chosen a better voice for Raven than Grey Delisle ("Mandy" on The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy). (Am I the only one who finds her sarcastic tone incredibly sexy?) Cyborg is about the only character than I really don't like, and it isn't the character himself, it's the stereotyping. He comes off as the all-too-typical African-American muscleman.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

One thing I can't believe that no one has mentioned is Slade. It took me until the end of the show to make the connection, but I finally did. Someone said earlier that they wished it had kept DC continuity. Well, Slade is Wilson Slade, a.k.a. Deathstroke, the Terminator! How's that for continuity?
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Fazhoul » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:39 am

Kenpo Wolf wrote:I think I'm in the minority here because I thought the show was crap, even worse then I expected. I'm glad you people liked the show but I'm one very disapointed Titan fan :(

You're not alone Kenpo. For me the TT was one of the worst things I've seen. I'm not a big anime fan and this seemed to have all the things I dislike about anime. Lot's of screaming that just goes on and on, the little tiny versions of the characters, the shots of characters leaping into action with no background except speed lines and just crappy animation. Oh, I forgot one. The shots of the Titan's Tower bouncing before basically spitting out the bad guys. I wish it would have been more in line with the Batman and Superman animated series. Oh well.
Fazhoul
"My God! You're like a trained ape! Without the training!"
Fazhoul
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Witchblade » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:42 am

Fazhoul wrote:The shots of the Titan's Tower bouncing before basically spitting out the bad guys. I wish it would have been more in line with the Batman and Superman animated series. Oh well.

Ah yes, one of my least favorite scenes as well. In fact, I felt that this one scene marred an otherwise good effort. Was it really necessary to have the tower "spit" the heroes out?
John Grigsby
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:53 am

You know what I want to know? Where is the parental supervision (no pun intended, eh?) ? Think about it. How old are these kids? 15ish? Even Anime 5-team shows with kids fighting demons and aliens have the adult mentor character hanging around... Remember- parents are the anit-drug!

These kids would be puffing weed all day, not fighting crime (though... they didn't exaclty do any crime fighting in the pilot... just sort of got attacked while having pizza).

The Hive also seemed- individually anyway- more powerful than the TTs- PL10 to their PL7 or 8 I'd say.
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Nuclear Platypus » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:27 am

Actually Raven's voice isn't Grey Delisle but Tara Strong.

She's done a DC character before with Barbara Gordon / Batgirl through most of the Batman cartoons but she may be better known as Powerpuff Girl Bubbles.
That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that! -- John Crichton
Nuclear Platypus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby palehorse » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:32 am

Witchblade said:

(Spoiler Alert!)

Well, Slade is Wilson Slade, a.k.a. Deathstroke, the Terminator! How's that for continuity?

Yep.... that was mentioned in that CBR interview I linked to.. They're not going to refer to him as Deathstroke the Terminator though, just 'Slade'. They're going to make him essentially an evil Batman.
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby The Human Pest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:39 am

I wasn't too crazy about the animation. It was, as others noted, very heavy on the anime effects: the big eyes, the stills with zip backgrounds, the spikey hair, etc.

And the story was sorta dumb.

My little nephew loved it, though.
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Witchblade » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:36 am

Nuclear Platypus wrote:Actually Raven's voice isn't Grey Delisle but Tara Strong.

She's done a DC character before with Barbara Gordon / Batgirl through most of the Batman cartoons but she may be better known as Powerpuff Girl Bubbles.

Ooops! Even better, since Bubbles in my fave PPG. Still, that voice... sends shivers down my spine.
John Grigsby
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:45 am

palehorse wrote:Inazuma said:
If it was aimed at a younger audience, it'd be on earlier. But it's only on late nights (it just repeated here on Sunday night).

I beg to differ...

Cartoon Network VP Sam Register said:

"'Justice League' is awesome and 'Samurai Jack' is awesome and we buy a lot of anime shows that're great," Register said, "but those shows really are directed more towards the nine to fourteen age group and the six and seven and eight year olds, were not gelling with the 'Justice League' and some of the more of the fanboy shows.

"The main mission was making a good superhero show for kids," he continued. "Now if the fanboys happen to like the 'Teen Titans' also, that's great, but that was not our mission."

Read the whole interview here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... gi?id=2223

And yet the show is on late at night, thus missing the intended audience, who'd be in bed by then. Apparently somebody in the CN scheduling department just decided to stick it on at a different time.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby palehorse » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:50 am

Its on at 8 here, not all that late; my 18 month old son stays up til then, so I imagine by the time he's 6 or 7 he'll be able to make til 830.

When he does, I hope that networks are still willing to put kid-safe programming on in prime time. I'd much rather have him watching Teen Titans then, say, an episode of CSI (which I can TiVo and watch after he's in bed).
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:04 pm

But CSI is SO educational! Who knew what a bullet track through the rotting tissue of a three-week old corpse looked until CSI blasted onto the screen in Squish-O-Vision?

"Daddy, why is that lady on the ground covered in red?"

"Oh dear lord... oh son, thats...er...ketchup. She's sleeping in ketchup."

"Haha! You're funny!"

-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby palehorse » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:16 pm

Heh heh! Reminds me of when I learned about maggot migration trails while watching an episode of Millennium.
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Strand0 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:07 am

I saw the Teen Titans on july 20th. I didn't like it. The way the kids were presented meant nothing to me and that they ignored the repercusions to all the beatings (taken and given).
:x Why did Robin disappear? I guess someone thought that would be dramatic. But his turning up after the second butt-kicking was just the worst growner I had during the show.

I expected it to be bad. :( Well, it was not awful. :-?
But, I may watch a later show to see if the writers treat Terminator as humorously as they did everyone else. :P

I should dig out my old copies of the Titans. Good stuff.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Bailywolf » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:39 am

Perhaps one of the reasons I enjoyed it (beyond simply enjoying the style and animation) was that beyond about four pannels I read when I was 10 or so, I have NO IDEA what the deal is with the comic and comic continuity for the Teen Titans. Can anyone point me to a site where I can get a quick fresher course on them?

-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:34 pm

Just watched the second episode, "Sisters." A little predictable, but still fun. I was entertained. I like Starfire's "innocent foreigner" personality.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nightlynx » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:23 am

I also saw the 2nd show and while not really slod on the Titans after the first show - I have to say that it is starting to grow on me :D Its just a fun little show - and if i just watch it to be entertained well then its a winner :green:

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:44 am

Quite liked the second episode- despite more anime charactiture conventions than I would have liked (I don't much like that stuff in actual Anime to be honest).

However, Starfire's alien tourist persona is fun and not as anoying as I was worried it would become. I got a kick out of how the two rave kids swoop up and flat out call her an 'alien girl'- seems the Titans keep a more or less public persona.

And how much ass does this version of Robin kick? He was the only Titan able to make a mark on the squid-drones, and between his tech and his training perhaps the best all around fighter. He also seems ot have leared Batman's trick of silently showing up out of no where when needed...

-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby lugnut71 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:55 am

He's Robin he learned form the best. I also like the fact that even though he is probably the weakest character powerwise he tends to be the most powerful memeber of the team since he tends to fight smart.
lugnut71
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:46 am

lugnut71 wrote:He's Robin he learned form the best. I also like the fact that even though he is probably the weakest character powerwise he tends to be the most powerful memeber of the team since he tends to fight smart.

That's my favorite thing about the show so far. I've always had a soft-spot for the super tained "Normal" heroes. I really like how they portray Robin.
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:41 am

I dig the polymerized titanium cape- and how he uses it to deflect attacks. A nice synergy of super gear and training (and a great Device for the Deflection power).

-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Inazuma » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:53 am

Bailywolf wrote:However, Starfire's alien tourist persona is fun and not as anoying as I was worried it would become. I got a kick out of how the two rave kids swoop up and flat out call her an 'alien girl'- seems the Titans keep a more or less public persona.

Seems so. They appear to just hang out in public in their superhero IDs. First episode a pizza place, second episode a fair and a nightclub. LOL! I love that! :lol:
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby lugnut71 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:21 am

If I was a superhero thats what I would do. Let the people get to know me.
lugnut71
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Strict31 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:40 pm

I always liked the Teen Titans comics, even if, as a kid, I didn't entirely understand what in hell was going on half the time. I thought the Titans was a great subject for a new DCU cartoon, but it's not likely to touch on much of DCanimated continuity, if at all. That sort of thing, I can suck up. I can even suck up different characterizations. Raven was always too freaky for my tastes in the comic; Cyborg was always too depressing; Starfire was always too...angry...

I have my problems with the show, but I don't mind giving it an extended chance. What really nags at me is the lack of an origin episode. I assume, at some point, they'll get around to it. While I am something of a proponent of "Start in the middle and finish early", I really think, in this case, we need it. Or maybe I need it. I just felt like I had been left somewhat out of the loop with the show: why are these guys together? How did they meet? What is their basic unifying force?

I like Cyborg's look. It's really more complex than one would think at first blush. I like Raven's look, but her personality reminds me too much of most of the girls I've dated. I can see myself sitting down to coffee and cigarettes at a Denny's with this chick, and given my track record, that ain't a good thing :wink: ...Hmmm...I wish Kory was curvier, but primarily only so that Cyborg could call her "Bubble-bod"...

Ahem. Ignore that last part.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives