Teen Titans Cartoon this Saturday!

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Inazuma » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:04 pm

If we all know he's Bat's sidekick, does that really need to be explicitly displayed in the show by having Bruce show up to look over the kid's shoulder? Is not his mythology something that can go without saying?

Playing devil's advocate here, by the way. :)
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby faenril » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:14 am

Hopes it arrives in France a day ;).
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:05 am

Inazuma wrote:If we all know he's Bat's sidekick, does that really need to be explicitly displayed in the show by having Bruce show up to look over the kid's shoulder? Is not his mythology something that can go without saying?

Playing devil's advocate here, by the way. :)

Not saying that ... but completely disregarding any connection is kinda weak. And remember, though Robin does have his own comic series, it'll always be "Batman and ..." ;)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby The Human Pest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:20 am

On a related note, I watched a portion of the new "Stripperella" cartoon last night.

My review follows.

1/2 star out of 5. When she's in super-heroine mode, she jumps around a lot and seems really strong. Clobbers a couple people pretty good. On the down side, it's supposed to be a comedy (I think) but it's not really very funny. Mostly just embarassing attempts at humor. The animation is colorful, but inconsistent. They ran digitized "bars" to scramble certain parts of the anatomy (rather like the same technique used for the nudies in "Scare Tactics.") Don't quite know what to think of of that, but it was certainly distracting and served as a constant reminder that I should not be watching this.

You shouldn't either.
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Witchblade » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:17 pm

The Human Pest wrote:Don't quite know what to think of of that, but it was certainly distracting and served as a constant reminder that I should not be watching this.

You shouldn't either.

Good, then I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I feel that Americans in general are too prudish, but that's a topic for another forum. I was watching a French horror film from the '80's last night (Zombie Lake) and it features full-frontal nudity! For that matter, it features shots from below of naked women swimming; something that an American rated "R" film would be hard-pressed get away with (unless it were an "artsy" film)! Anyway...

What killed Stripperella for me was that they used Pam Anderson. If it had been anyone else, I might have watched it. I might have even given it a chance if she had lent her voice but the character had not been modeled after her. Yeah, she's cute, but I don't think you should mess with what nature gave you. I've never forgiven her for that.
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nuadha » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:00 pm

Tumbler wrote:Let's see, what I remember of titans comics, robin (dick, I assume this one will be tim) was a leader, independent, but still connected to batman (the most recognizable comics character in the world).

Sorry to nitpick but the two most popular comic book characters in the world are Superman and Mickey Mouse. I'm sure Batman is one of the more popular superheroes but, unlike Superman, you can find people who have never heard of Batman. Supposedly, there are five fictional characters that are known all over the world: Mickey Mouse, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Robin Hood and Superman.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:29 pm

Well i just saw it on the cartoon network! Don't worry no spoilers here!
It was ok I would give it 3 stars outta say five total - A little more "cartoony" than I like my cartoons but not so bad i wouldn't watch it again!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx

PS
I really like the Beastboy character - and his comments in the pizza parlor still have me laughing!
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Crackerjack » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:48 pm

I jest saws it, and it was pritty cool...

er..
I liked the art a lot, and it had a fun if campy feel to it, but was definetly less kiddy than I thought it would be. (Im fifteen, so as long as it's not a show for 10 year olds, Im fairly ok....)

I liked the action. But the script and characters are corny in execution. Well, characters are cool in action, but not in nonaction scenes.
"Look out boys, it's Astro City's greatest hero!"
"Hey, I dont see Samaritan anywhere..."
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Kid Vorpal » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:10 pm

Nightlynx wrote:Well i just saw it on the cartoon network! Don't worry no spoilers here!
It was ok I would give it 3 stars outta say five total - A little more "cartoony" than I like my cartoons but not so bad i wouldn't watch it again!

Yeah, I totally hate when cartoons are all "cartoony". It ruins the entire concept for me.

Sarcasm aside, I have to say (and this is partially in response to all the criticisms of the Spider-Man cartoon on MTV, too): if they continued with the same old stories and the same old ideas, they'd be stuck with the same old audiences. And once we all died, they'd have no-one left.

Change is good. Embrace it. And live in the now.
One shot, one kill; two shots, sure thing.
Kid Vorpal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:59 pm

I just saw it and I liked it. A bit more campy than I thought it wiould be, but good anyway. I think the reason I enjoyed it was that I didn't sit down expecting to see a TT comic in motion. I was expecting it to be it's own little thing, deviating from the comics doesn't make it a bad show IMO.

Now I don't know exactly how much they're going to deviate, that remains to be seen in the weeks to come. I just won't be dissapointed if they go way off track.
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dionysus_the_Hammer » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:54 pm

Watched it and actually liked it. Didn't expect much going in. I loved the Perez/Wolfman run on the New Teen Titans in the 80's and didn't think the show would even remotely do it justice. Leave it to my 8yr old son to talk me into watching it! :D I do agree with several of the other posters as far as the look of the animation and the reason for it. I personally do not care for anime. Big eyes and speed lines just don't do it for me. But the kids today eat it up! Delieve me in 8yrs at my house we've been thru Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh. When will it end? Like some one else stated in this thread, they have to market it to the kids, cause all of us thirtysomethings are gonna make our from this mortal coil :P
Dionysus the Hammer

"We are your Overlords."
Dionysus_the_Hammer
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:36 pm

I just finished watching it and I liked it. The animation style is okay by me. At least it's a little different from the usual style.

Spoiler space...

I like the story. I liked that the Titans are clearly not as constantly competant and professional as the X-Men or Justice League. They got their butts kicked twice before finally pulling through. They were the underdogs for most of the show and it makes you root for them.

Anyone else notice Raven's voice was that of Mandy on the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy? Seems like a perfect fit. :)

The Haeyp kids were interesting.

Mammoth is clearly a standard powerhouse.

Jinx has the Luck power with the Jinx extra and Jinx Only flaw, though it seems to operate through a ranged attack roll.

Gizmo....obviously he has the Gadgets power, with a few standard devices - an Energy Blast in a variety of styles, wings for Flight, the spider-legs for Running and probably Clinging. Datalink device for hacking Cyborg, though that could have just been a use of his Gadgets power. Those goggles would probably do something...darkvision, telescopic sight, etc.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Neowolf » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:02 pm

Spoiler warning
But can anyone explain, statistically, how that deal with Cyborg's severed arm worked?
Neowolf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sketchpad » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:37 pm

Like any show, I gave Titans a chance today ...

Here there be spoilers!!
First ... the HIVE kids are actually members of the Fearsome Five IIRC ... all they needed was Mammoth's sister Shimmer in the mix. Second, the HIVE was a Hydra-like organization.
I didn't mind the cartoon ... but I disliked certain things that would've been cool to see.
Starfire's flight would've been cooler if she left the stream of energy behind her.
Changeling/Beast Boy should've went Dino on Mammoth in the beginning.
Robin leaving his belt around? Umm ... huh?

The animation was fine to me ... very anime and, in some ways, better than some. The theme was cute. I just wish they'd place the darn thing in the DC Universe ... and also see some other Titans ;)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tumbler » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:15 am

Sorry to nitpick but the two most popular comic book characters in the world are Superman and Mickey Mouse. I'm sure Batman is one of the more popular superheroes but, unlike Superman, you can find people who have never heard of Batman. Supposedly, there are five fictional characters that are known all over the world: Mickey Mouse, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Robin Hood and Superman.

ok, obviously there are some people in the world who don't know who batman is. None of them have cartoon network.

I based my statement on the non-scientific Wizard magazinei declaration from 2000. It was based on a combination of comic sales, movie ticket sales, and non-scientific poll. It really doesn't matter; I was just trying to say that Batman is a hugely popular character who it would hurt no one to ride the coattails (or capetails) of.[/quote]
Tumbler
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby barbedwings » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:08 am

Wow, it seems that a lot of people enjoyed the show... It makes me feel kinda bad for hating it so much. I guess I just enjoy my comic books and shows based off the characters as a bit more realistic, and TTitans was painfully childish.

The dialog was awful, the entire show came off as just clearly marketted for a young child's head... which is fine, but it's just not for me. The show may have been cute, the anime style art was fine, the theme song was nauseating, but I honestly couldn't force myself to sit through another episode.
barbedwings
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:28 am

Sketchpad wrote:Like any show, I gave Titans a chance today ...

I just wish they'd place the darn thing in the DC Universe ... and also see some other Titans ;)

Um, they did. Cyborg even mentioned Gotham City (which means they are referencing Batman's existance, indirectly).

barbedwings wrote:the theme song was nauseating

I actually kind of liked the theme song. It was catchy.

I actually found the whole show to have a sort of retro feel, which I enjoyed.
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby CurtWarner » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:32 am

I loved the theme song Loved the re-interpretation---hell I'm MPEG-ing this ep--if anyone has a continuity problem, think of it as 'Ultimate Teen Titans'
"You couldn't win a race!!! YOU couldn't win a game of marbles with a TWELVETOED MYOPIC RHINOCEROUS!!!!!"---The Love Bug
CurtWarner
Bystander
Bystander

Postby CurtWarner » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:33 am

Now let's see some PL10 stats for the Titans!!!!!
"You couldn't win a race!!! YOU couldn't win a game of marbles with a TWELVETOED MYOPIC RHINOCEROUS!!!!!"---The Love Bug
CurtWarner
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Inazuma » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:34 am

CurtWarner wrote:Now let's see some PL10 stats for the Titans!!!!!

PL10 seems rather much for these versions of the characters. PL6-8 makes more sense.
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Citizen Arcane » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:08 pm

I was looking forward to this show as an anime interpretation of the Teen Titans focused to a younger crowd.

It fully met and exceded my expectations!

Very fun. Great characterization for a half-hour show. And the anime touches were a bit jarring but I got used to them pretty quick.

Definitely looking forward to future episodes!
Citizen Arcane
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby lugnut71 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:15 pm

I liked it to. As mentioned before I like the fact that they are not all that competent. They fight with each other just as much as the villians. They do a good job as coming across as young heros just learning their powers.
lugnut71
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:14 pm

I think I'm in the minority here because I thought the show was crap, even worse then I expected. I'm glad you people liked the show but I'm one very disapointed Titan fan :(
Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby palehorse » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:18 pm

Seems to me like it was aimed at a younger crowd than Batman/Superman/Justice League, as well as for a crowd who has little or no history with the comic...

If I compared it to the comic I probably wouldn't have liked it either. I tried to let it stand on its own merits, and thought it was kooky but fun.

I always wondered how long some of the little Japanese manga/anime conventions would make it into an American toon. Now I know!
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Inazuma » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:33 pm

palehorse wrote:Seems to me like it was aimed at a younger crowd than Batman/Superman/Justice League, as well as for a crowd who has little or no history with the comic...

If I compared it to the comic I probably wouldn't have liked it either. I tried to let it stand on its own merits, and thought it was kooky but fun.

I always wondered how long some of the little Japanese manga/anime conventions would make it into an American toon. Now I know!

If it was aimed at a younger audience, it'd be on earlier. But it's only on late nights (it just repeated here on Sunday night).

Anime is here to stay, I think. Most network cartoons are anime imports these days.

In the end, it's apparent that this show is either a love it or hate it type, as displayed by the varied opinions on this board. :)
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives