12 Mystic Talismans of the Chinese Zodiac

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

12 Mystic Talismans of the Chinese Zodiac

Postby Dr Archeville » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:11 pm

The 12 Talismans as seen in Jackie Chan Adventures. All would have the Flaw-Device, and Source: Mystical.

Rat — the power to reanimate. [Effect: Animation 10]
Ox — the power of strength. [Effect: Super-Strength 10]
Tiger — the power of yin-yang, opposites. [Effect: Duplication 10; Flaw-Talisman splits subject into 2 beings, one the Docile/Good/Yang-aspected version, and the other the Aggressive/Evil/Yin-aspected version]
Rabbit — the power of speed. [Effect: Super-Speed 10; Power Stunts: Water Run]
Dragon — the power of combustion. [Effect: Energy Blast/Fire 10; Extra: Area]
Snake — the power of invisibility. [Effect: Invisibility 10]
Horse — the power of healing. [Effect: Healing 10]
Sheep — the power of astral projection. [Effect: Astral Projection 10]
Monkey — the power to shapeshift. [Effect: Transformation 10; Extras: Continuous, Exact, Growth, Movement, Shrinking; Flaws: Limit-Animals only]
Rooster — the power of levitation. [Effect: Telekinesis 10; Extra: Flight]
Dog — the power of immortality. [Effect: Regeneration 10; Extras: Back from the Brink; Power Stunts: Immunity (Aging, Disease, Poison)]
Pig — the power of heat beam eyes. [Effect: Energy Blast/Light 10]
Last edited by Dr Archeville on Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Inazuma » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:41 pm

Nice. Dragon and Pig seem redundant, though. I don't recall thos talismans exactly, but perhaps one or the other could be changed to, say, Disintergration?
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby AaronUnicorn » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:43 pm

They are redundant. But that's what they did in the Cartoon. :)
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nuclear Platypus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:27 pm

One more thing...
When Jade used the Tiger talisman on Jackie, it split him into docile and aggressive versions.

One more thing...
The Rabbit talisman enabled a tortoise to run across water thus the Water Run power stunt.

One more thing...
What of the the Eight Demons and the Panku Box from season 2?

One more thing...
Uncle was the greatest. Now go so that I may properly prepare Chi spell.

Sorry couldn't resist. :D
That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that! -- John Crichton
Nuclear Platypus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sketchpad » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:03 pm

I've actually been working on something like this for d20 Modern ;)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby mrobviousjosh » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:03 pm

Very cool. I must admit, no one in my group watches Jackie Chan adventures but we would use the Chinese Zodiac ideas. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby palehorse » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:07 pm

I scoffed when I first heard about the Jackie Chan series, but I've caught it a couple of times and its actually pretty decent.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Sketchpad » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:52 pm

I love this cartoon personally ... I especially got a kick out of the fact that Jeff Matsuda (X-Force, Ka-Boom, New Men) did the character designs ;) Now if only they'd do a mini-series or two ;)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dr Archeville » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:03 am

I'm actually thinking of making a character who was empowered by the 12 Mystic Chinese Zodiac Talismans (though in a PL 10 game he could only get all those powers at rank 4 or 5).

One more thing... edited first post to reflect Nuclear Platypus' comments.
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby TheDayKnight » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:48 am

They could be a villian group a la Zodiac from the Avenger books...
TheDayKnight
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: 12 Mystic Talismans of the Chinese Zodiac

Postby Malakim » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:15 am

Dr Archeville wrote:Rooster — the power of levitation. [Effect: Flight 10]

Actually, I believe the Rooster talisman would convey Telekinesis. The episode that featured this talisman had Jade, if I remember correctly, moving other things, like Toru <sp> for example, by the power of her will.

Maybe ... [Effect: Telekinesis<not sure of PL>; Extra: Flight]
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright.
Malakim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby spatulalad » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:37 am

Groovy.

I've got a PC with heavy ties to Chinese mythology (she's the servant of Tian Mu, Godess of Lightning). Think I may use this stuff sometime in the future...
spatulalad
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Dr Archeville » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:08 am

Ah, that's true, Malakim, I'll go edit (again)
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby DarkTouch » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Dr Archeville wrote:Dragon — the power of combustion. [Effect: Energy Blast/Fire 10; Extra: Area]
Pig — the power of heat beam eyes. [Effect: Energy Blast/Fire 10]

I know that this is just being Nit-Picky.. but because these two are so similar (I like the addition of area to seperate them out).. I might shift the heat beam so that it was EB(Light) rather than EB(Fire). Just for the variety.
My Blue Rose Character Sheet - Version 0.6 (Now OGL Compliant) Feedback welcome.
DarkTouch
Booster
Booster

Postby gunsnammo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:58 am

Dr Archeville wrote:The 12 Talismans as seen in Jackie Chan Adventures. All would have the Flaw-Device, and Source: Mystical.

Rat — the power to reanimate. [Effect: Animation 10]
Ox — the power of strength. [Effect: Super-Strength 10]
Tiger — the power of yin-yang, opposites. [Effect: Duplication 10; Flaw-Talisman splits subject into 2 beings, one the Docile/Good/Yang-aspected version, and the other the Aggressive/Evil/Yin-aspected version]
Rabbit — the power of speed. [Effect: Super-Speed 10; Power Stunts: Water Run]
Dragon — the power of combustion. [Effect: Energy Blast/Fire 10; Extra: Area]
Snake — the power of invisibility. [Effect: Invisibility 10]
Horse — the power of healing. [Effect: Healing 10]
Sheep — the power of astral projection. [Effect: Astral Projection 10]
Monkey — the power to shapeshift. [Effect: Transformation 10; Extras: Continuous, Exact, Growth, Movement, Shrinking; Flaws: Limit-Animals only]
Rooster — the power of levitation. [Effect: Telekinesis 10; Extra: Flight]
Dog — the power of immortality. [Effect: Regeneration 10; Extras: Back from the Brink; Power Stunts: Immunity (Aging, Disease, Poison)]
Pig — the power of heat beam eyes. [Effect: Energy Blast/Fire 10]

I'd make the pig one energy blast-light since it was kind of like a "laser". Then it wouldn't be quite as redundant.

gunsnammo

p.s. Great show btw!
Can I use 3 points from my CHEESE pool?
gunsnammo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dr Archeville » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:07 am

*casts a Chi spell* Done!
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Nuclear Platypus » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:06 pm

How would you create Shendu once he possesses all 12 Talismans?

Sorcery seems the most logical choice since the talismans are mystical and Shendu was the Demon of Fire. Also Shendu and his 7 siblings were especially vulnerable to Chi spells, which likewise took time to cast.

Uncle covered Jackie's hands in some magical 'goo' that allowed him to reach inside Shendu's body and start yanking out talismans, specifically the Rat one.

What about adding Protection as an extra for the Ox talisman? Whoever had it was able to shrug off hits from the heavyweights (El Toro, Tohru and Hak Foo).

The Horse talisman probably had the flaw: Self only tho possibly with the Regrowth extra: Shendu did a T1000 after Jackie blasted him with either the Pig or Dragon talisman. Would it be redundant to possess the extras from Healing and Regenerate (Back from the Brink and Ressurrection) to basically give you 2 chances to come back to life?

One more thing...
What about the Shadowkhan (Shendu's ninjas)? I guess they're just generic low level mooks (PL5?) with obvious martial arts training and darkvision tho also invisibility (in shadows), teleportation (in shadows), gliding, leaping and clinging.

Apparently whoever possessed Shendu's tattoo (seal?) controlled them. Jade became their master when she got a not quite temporary tattoo of Shendu.

Gosh-diddly-arn-it, I have Uncle's voice in my head every time I type 'One more thing...' I'm tempted to start doing that to my nephews. :green:
Last edited by Nuclear Platypus on Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that! -- John Crichton
Nuclear Platypus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:40 pm

Just for fun - I took a d12 and rolled three times to choose talismans at random for the creation of two NPC's - What a hoot:

NCP Chick #1 -
Monkey - Dragon - Tiger is the talisman combo I rolled - when Ying and Yang split Good girl has Monkey's shapeshifting while Bad Girl has Dragon's fire blast >:)

NPC Guy #2 -
Snake - Sheep - Pig is the talisman combo I rolled - wasn't sure at frist but the combo is pretty nasty - invivibility, the astral projection and the light blast eye beams of Pig in either physical or astral form >:)

I see thses two as being after the rest of the talismans which are located in both public and private collections across the city! Has anyone else used the talismans in this or in some other fashion?

peace and good gaming
Nightylnx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives