(Mildly OT): Spider-Man Cartoon on MTV

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

(Mildly OT): Spider-Man Cartoon on MTV

Postby AaronUnicorn » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:45 pm

So, did anyone get a chance to see this? I'm sitting at work, so can't actually see it myself, but my dear wife is recording it for me, and I'm just wondering if I should be grateful, or if I should call her and tell her to stop. :)
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Cynthia Celeste Miller » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:42 pm

I was extremely disappointed in it. The CGI was pretty good and all and the dialogue wasn't half bad, but the pacing made it seem....I don't know....shallow. And IMO, they really screwed up Max Dillon (aka Electro), especially in the visual sense.

It's almost like they're trying to take (yet another) "Ulrimate" approach. Been there, done that. Why bother doing it again.

I'll probably watch one more episode or two, but if it doesn't improve, I doubt I'll bother again. Ah well, life goes on. :)
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President / Line Developer
Spectrum Game Studios
Designers of Cartoon Action Hour
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doctor Otaku » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:27 pm

Never let MTV do a show that would be better suited for Cartoon Network.
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Inazuma » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:10 pm

Since I went into it with the understanding that it's an MTV production, I enjoyed it for what it was, and suffered no comic fan disappointment.

I like what they did with Electro (honestly, his old costume would have sucked on TV). I dunno who the chick with the sword in the second episode was, though. I like that they weren't afraid to show death in a cartoon (or people getting their fingers or heads cut off). It makes the villains more intimidating when you know they can and will kill.

They seem to obviously be playing off the movie rather than the comics, what with Harry's hatred of Spidey for his father's death, for example. I guess that means no original Green Goblin on the show.

But, next week, the Lizard! Yay!

Oh, and I liked the passing mention of the X-Men. Heh.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Luke de Sade » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:31 am

I don't know, but I don't think I'm gonna like this program. MTV shouldn't mess with superhero cartoons. And Doc Otaku is right. This program would be better suited for Cartoon Network.

Marvel should really get their stuff together and start making good cartoons (X-Men: Evolution is cool and all, but why the Ultimate approach?)
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Postby Dr Archeville » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:41 am

I caught part of the ep with Green Sword Gal last night at 2:30am (EST). Is there another time this show comes on? I really wanna see what they do with Lizard.
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby bushido11 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:17 am

I don't know why some people are hating on it. I think it looks cool as hell, and it seems to take a more mature approach than previous Spiderman cartoons. It could easily be on Cartoon Network, although they change their line up more than I care to like. For example, get off of the Majin Buu saga already! Sheesh, just go on to Dragon Ball GT already or replace it with something else if they don't have the episodes yet.

But other than that, I can't wait for future episodes. I hope they don't just make like 10 episodes and repeat the hell out of them like they did with X-Men Evolution for a good while.
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Luke de Sade » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:28 am

bushido11 wrote:I hope they don't just make like 10 episodes and repeat the hell out of them like they did with X-Men Evolution for a good while.

Which is what will likely happen, like it does with every other MTV production.
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Postby DarkTouch » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:06 pm

As for me, I really liked it.
At first I found the Cell Shading graphics to be distracting but it got better over the course of the hour. (2 shows) The only thing I really demand out of my spider-man takes is the wit of it. This is part of the reason why I was one of the only people I know who didn't really care for the Spider-man movie.. I found it a little too angsty for my taste.

As for electro.. what do you mean his costume wouldn't work well on TV? The stupid lightning bolts sticking out of the side of his head? That didn't work well on TV, in video games, in comics, or anywhere else. ;-)
My Blue Rose Character Sheet - Version 0.6 (Now OGL Compliant) Feedback welcome.
DarkTouch
Booster
Booster

Postby Malakim » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:38 pm

I LOVED IT!

I think the pacing was a tad quick, but as Inazuma mentioned above, the notion of allowing the villains to REALLY deal some death makes the show that much edgier. LOVED IT!

And I like the idea of coming into it as a continuation of last year's movie. Points for not showing us _ANOTHER_ origin story.

Also, the cinematography was AWESOME! LOVED IT!

Overall, I have to give it two thumbs-up. But that's just my opinion.
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright.
Malakim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MagusRogue » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:45 pm

when's this on???
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Telik » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:07 pm

The first episodes came on Friday night at 10pm on MTV. And here's a good fact I learned in college sociology. The number one network in the whole world is actually MTV. It has more viewers than any other station world-wide. Unbelieveable, and they don't even show any videos.

So far as my opinion it's my favorite MTV comic cartoon since The Maxx. I thought Spiderman was really cool. I also liked the fact that they brought up the X-men. Maybe some other Marvel characters will eventually make appearences. My favorite thing about the art was they way Spidey moves, it's friggin incredible to see him swinging and diving. Really good show if for no other reason we've got a superhero everyone can relate to.

That's the only bad thing about Mutants and Masterminds, we've had to come to learn all new heroes and villians. I mean the Atomic Brain is great, but compared to Doc Doom and Magneto he's a little harder to visualize. Don't get me wrong here either I love the game and all the work put into creating suppliments like Freedom City. Any chance on getting our own comics done? Like Willingham and Jeff Dee did for Villians and Vigilantees. That would rock.
The difference between you and me... I'm a professional.
Telik
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby itsclark » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:22 pm

No way -- the baddy in Episode one was supposed to be Electro!?
I didn't even make the connection. Anyway I thought it was pretty decent even if it is an Emty-V production. The dialogue had an annoyingly hipster wannabe quality, but some of the characterizations might just make up for it. The sword chic in episode two was so interesting that I wanted her to be a recurring character. Yet she seems to have been a throw-away. And the scenes of Spidey scuttling on the sides of walls just felt so right, along with alot of the fight choreography. This might be the first reason for me to watch Empty-V since Daria was cancelled.
itsclark
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby BeZurKur » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:02 pm

Criticizing the show on the grounds that it is airing on MTV is a bit unfair, IMO. The continuity is definitely post-movie and does an excellent job of depicting the college life – probably, it’s target demographic – of a super-hero. The graphics are cool and Spider-Man’s physical motions show an understanding of the character. Watch the nuances: how he crawls and flips on the walls. They’ve done a great job in animating Spider-Man. It was awesome to watch him climb up the pole and hang upside down from his line. We’ve seen it countless times in the comics and once in the film, but never quite like this. As for the combats, they’re the best part!

Now, I don’t think it was perfect: far from it. Although Peter’s character development is good, the stories were rushed and it showed. I hope they address it, because without story, I don’t know how long the eye-candy can hold people’s attention.

Edit: Itsclark beat me to the punch on the wall observation! ;)
BeZurKur
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:10 pm

itsclark wrote:No way -- the baddy in Episode one was supposed to be Electro!? I didn't even make the connection.

I made it just before he became electrified. Max Dillion is Electro's real name, but since it's been a while since I've read Spidey comics, I kept thinking "He's the Scorpion, isn't he?" When I saw the "Maximum Shock" neon sign, though, I recalled Dillion is Electro. :)

Anyway, next week we get Doc Conners/The Lizard, and I await what they will do with him. Should be cool.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Cynthia Celeste Miller » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:20 am

Electro's first name is similar to Scorpion's -- Mac Gargan.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President / Line Developer
Spectrum Game Studios
Designers of Cartoon Action Hour
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:19 am

I finally caught both episodes today. How long has it been on? And as for my comments, here they go

1, Electro, for lack of a better name was decent. I hated how they revised Electro's origin. They should have made him a original villain and called him Maximum Shock, inspired by the sign, although it would have been a bit camp.

2, Lotus was a great episode, in my opinion, but it angered me when they killed her off Lotus. She would have been great as a semi regular villain. I would like to see her in some kind of competition with Kraven for Spidey's head

Overall, I like the show. Spidey's movements are well done, the violence is realistic and the characterization(spl) is good. I have high hopes for the show and I hope I'm not let down

Upcoming characters, as can be seen by the front credits and scenes from next weeks episode, will be the Lizard, Kraven with a revamped outfit, and either the Black Cat or Silver Sable. I saw a couple others which I don't recognize. As for guest stars, I would like to see the Punisher, Captain America, Dr Strange, the Black Widow and maybe Namor make a few appearences.
Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:15 am

The next episode should be on tonight, I believe, just to remind anyone that planned to watch it.
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Die Feuerschatten » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:39 pm

I liked it, but like a lot of others I'm not sure if I 100% like the animation style. Definitely liked what they did with the Lizard, though, really liked his look.
Die Feuerschatten
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:09 pm

Die Feuerschatten wrote:I liked it, but like a lot of others I'm not sure if I 100% like the animation style. Definitely liked what they did with the Lizard, though, really liked his look.

The motion-capture cell-shaded animation style is growing on me. The characters have very human movements and mannerisms.

Lizard definately looked cool. Doc Conners came off as a bit more of a nutjob than in the comics, but it worked for the show. Nice to see the shadow of Oscorp still looming in Spidey's life.

The Cheyenne episode was interesting. She obviously had more backstory than they had time to get into in a half hour.

Poor Harry. He's getting pooed on in two episodes straight. :)

More proof this is based off the movie: He has organic webshooters (he wouldn't have been wearing the artifical ones when he web-snagged Conner's labcoat), and the close-up of his wall-crawling fingerpad hooks were very similar to that in the film.
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:59 am

Here is a list of episodes for the upcoming weeks, although they may
be numbered odd. My source is the SuperHero Hype site.

JULY 25, 2003
Episode#104, "Tight Squeeze"
A boardroom meeting is interrupted by PTERODAX, a trio of former KGB agents, led by SERGEI (James Marsters) who blast through an outside window to gain entry into the building. PTERODAX are a well-outfitted organization who use sonic blasters, fluoroscopic vision and are encased in heavy body armor. Additionally, the trio sport jetpacks that enable them to fly. Over at Empire State University, it's a harmless afternoon where HARRY OSBORN (Ian Zierling), MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) and PETER PARKER (Neil Patrick Harris) take turns peering through a pair of Harry's binoculars. When it's his turn, PETER spots PTERODAX invading the meeting and hurries off to the rescue as SPIDER-MAN. PTERODAX are moments away from detonating a safe in the room in order to steal its contents - "prototype hyper-diamonds" when SPIDER-MAN shows up. He defeats them, then as PETER it's off to news channel Empire-1 to sell a SPIDER-MAN news video. At the station, PETER is introduced to INDIRA DAIMONJI / INDY (Angelle Brooks), a beautiful television intern who aids him in getting his footage aired. Unfortunately, it also lands the both of them as one of many hostages when PTERODAX commandeers the newsroom. PTERODAX's demands are simple, they want SPIDER-MAN or they will start eliminating hostages! As soon as the moment presents itself PETER escapes into the shadows to re-emerge as SPIDER-MAN. However, PTERODAX has set a trap for SPIDER-MAN and know one knows that they plan on being the only ones getting out of the station alive.

Episode #107, "Head Over Heels"
It's a world of balance for PETER PARKER (Neil Patrick Harris) and his web-slinging alter ego SPIDER-MAN and makes more sacrifices than most. This morning is no different as he juggles his academics, a floundering social life and one heroic rescue after the next. What Peter can't save is his unfortunate pairing with CHRISTINA - his new Psychology lab partner – a gifted yet quirky scientific type who is also fanatical in her devotion to SPIDER-MAN. She convinces PETER that she has the perfect invention to help them score a high grade in class, an ESP crown, that she wants to demonstrate by reading Peter's mind. While she's wearing it, the crown malfunctions jolting her brain with electricity. The voltage alters CHRISTINA's reality and suddenly SPIDER-MAN – well - a 2-D version of the wall-crawler is advising her on how to get close to the real SPIDER-MAN. Soon, Christina is no longer able to distinguish fantasy from reality and has deadly designs on MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) who she views as her major competition for SPIDER-MAN's affection.

AUGUST 1, 2003
Episode #110, "When Sparks Fly"
Two teenage boys goof off in an abandoned power plant and stumble into a weakened ELECTRO / formerly MAX DILLON from "The Party" episode (Ethan Embry). ELECTRO has been hiding in the plant plotting his electrifying comeback and only SPIDER-MAN's (Neil Patrick Harris) timely arrival saves the two teens from becoming toast. Over at Empire State University in Professor Williams' Chemistry class SALLY is unnerved when her computer sends her a message completely on its own. Later, while she is studying in her room an eerie vision of ELECTRO / MAX appears on her TV screen. SALLY was at the fraternity party the night that MAX was turned into ELECTRO. It seems that ELECTRO has come back to claim SALLY because he loves her and wants them to be together. ELECTRO plans to zap SALLY into an electrical being like himself so that they can become a couple. SPIDER-MAN must come to find a way to save SALLY from the fate that ELECTRO has in store for her and must rely on a little help from HARRY OSBORN (Ian Zierling) and MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) to stop an unnatural coupling.

Episode #103, "Spider-Man Dis-Abled"
PETER PARKER (Neil Patrick Harris) is covering a press conference where the Mayor of New York City and Tremaine, a visiting Euro-dignitary, are addressing the public. As they leave the event their limousine is shot with a dart bomb and SPIDER-MAN comes to the rescue. PETER's friend and potential romantic interest INDIRA DAIMONJI / INDY (Angelle Brooks), an intern at news channel Empire-1 helps him sell his footage of the press conference and ensuing car commotion. Then PETER and HARRY's apartment is ransacked and the conclusion is that the robbers were after the videotape shot during the Mayor's speech. A digital enhancement of the tape reveals a woman shooting the dart-bomb! INDY discovers the woman on the tape is SILVER SABLE (Virginia Madsen), an Eastern European assassin for hire. The unique thing about this assassin is that she only kills criminals so PETER / SPIDER-MAN can't figure out why she's going after the Mayor. SPIDER-MAN moves out to thwart SILVER SABLE's plans which leads to a dramatic showdown on top of a moving limo carrying Tremaine and the Mayor inside. During this fight SILVER SABLE reveals a secret about Tremaine's real identity that sends SPIDER-MAN reeling.

AUGUST 8, 2003
Episode #105, "Royal Scam"
SPIDER-MAN (Neil Patrick Harris) is duped by the infamous KINGPIN (Michael Clarke Duncan) into stealing the TX-1 super-chip, designed to de-crypt the confidential satellite transmissions that drive the world's financial markets. Disguised as federal agents, KINGPIN's henchmen convince SPIDER-MAN that he should steal the chip from the "mob" and return it to them, the FBI. In return for doing his country this service, he is promised that the bureau will let it be known that SPIDER-MAN helped them out, an endorsement greatly needed in order to improve his rock bottom public image. Of course this patriotism takes its toll on PETER's social commitments. MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) has a three-night acting showcase that Peter has promised to attend. He misses the first night when SPIDER-MAN learns he was tricked into stealing the chip and must track down KINGPIN; on the second night PETER is temporarily abducted by real FBI agents. The third night culminates with a climactic action sequence where SPIDER-MAN outmaneuvers KINGPIN for the chip so that he can return it to the real FBI. The real question however is whether PETER will have enough time to make it to MJ's last performance.

Episode #106, "Heroes and Villains"
Adjacent to Empire State University, The Villeroy Towers, an urban high-rise tenement, is slated for destruction and the tenants have allied with ESU's student body in protest. The Villeroy Towers residents are at a disadvantage in this fight to save their home until an anonymous donor endows them with one million dollars. This generosity comes shortly after the theft of a pricey gem from the Metropolitan Museum. SPIDER-MAN discovers the guilty party is a modern day Robin Hood named TURBO JET (Harold Parino) armed with a homemade propulsion system who steals from the wealthy and gives to the poor. Still, stealing is stealing and SPIDER-MAN and TURBO JET go head to head. Making matters worse, Oscorp is the company behind the Villeroy's demolition - all in the name of progress - forcing HARRY OSBORN (Ian Zierling) right in the center of this controversy. When TURBO JET takes MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) hostage during a rally, SPIDER-MAN sets out to prove that TURBO JET's good intentions are highly flawed.

AUGUST 15, 2003
Episode #109, "Flash Memory"
Remedial twins, JACK and MACK (David DeLouise) rob an armored car then throttle up their motorcycles for a clean getaway until SPIDER-MAN (Neil Patrick Harris) intervenes. However SPIDER-MAN is surprised at how smart JACK and MACK were in plotting the robbery. At the Empire State University campus FLASH THOMPSON (Devon Sawa) flaunts the fact to MARY JANE WATSON / MJ (Lisa Loeb) that he doesn't have to study anymore because he has landed himself a tutor. What a surprise when FLASH learns that his tutor is actually DR. ZELLNER who is actively testing his new "smart drug" – the first subjects being JACK and MACK - with substantially impaired IQs. FLASH's fame evolves from athleticism to intellectualism as he charms members of the female student body with his wit and knowledge of everything from American Literature to a bilingual recitation of Shakespeare. However, soon it becomes obvious that there are physical side effects of this smart serum. DR. ZELLNER is stumped as to why this is occurring and decides that he find an antidote via a more intelligent candidate…PETER PARKER! JACK and MACK continue to have DR. ZELLNER pump them full of the "smart drug" in an effort to pull off more elaborate crimes that only SPIDER-MAN stop along with rescuing FLASH from DR. ZELLNER.
Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:45 pm

Kenpo Wolf wrote:SPIDER-MAN (Neil Patrick Harris) is duped by the infamous KINGPIN (Michael Clarke Duncan)

Ah, they got Duncan from the DD movie to voice his character! Cool move! :)

The other episodes sound cool. Looks like they'll be keeping up the two episodes per weekend thing, which is great. I'm enjoying the series so far.
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Inazuma » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:12 pm

Tonights new episodes were good. I'm finding it cool that they're not using a known supervillian every episode. 6 episodes so far and only Electro and Lizard have made appearances.

MTV is not showing the series in any order, unfortunately. Tonight saw Max Dillan, perfectly normal. Which means these episodes chronologically take place before the Electro episode, which was the first they broadcast. Screw up on MTV's part. They need to show episodes in proper order to maintain any kind of consistancy. Though maybe they just wanted to start off with a "known villian episode."

Despite that flub, the series is growing on me. And next week, Electro returns!
~Inazuma
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives