A V&V conversion?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

A V&V conversion?

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:28 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for converting V&V characters to M&M?

I found some adventures for V&V for about $3 a piece, and now I want to convert them. Any help?
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:39 am

Well stat for stat conversion would be next to impossiable in my opinion due to the difference in the game systems - but I would use the character info as a template to create a M&M character.

Say you were doing FIST from the Crisis at Cursaders Cidtel - he's a battlesuit with fight - a blaster weapon(that has a limited number of chargers) - etc. Plus the character and tatics notes that were often added can help you fleash out the character.

I am making this example from memory as i don't have the books in front of me - but yes I remember V&V back when it was the only hero game in town - ahhh the memories!

Peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby palehorse » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:42 am

-busts out dogeared copy of V&V rules-

Base CHA: Use as-is; V&V uses a 3-18 scale which is close enough for M&M.

Super CHA: I'd divide the Heightened CHA score by 5, approximately. If they only have a couple of points Heightened, increase the Base CHA to 19 or 20.

Experience Level vs Power Level: Personally I'd just ignore this altogether and build them based on the needs of your game. If you want to do a straight conversion tho, maybe a V&V level 1 = PL 7 or so, and go up a PL about every 2 V&V levels.

No time to look at the powers just now, but I'll work on it and post what I come up with as soon as I can.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

that's a great start!!!

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:48 am

Another question is, if a creature had a STR bonus (or was it Super STR, not sure since I don't have them in front of me) of +48, I'm assuming that's a lot?

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The BLur » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:52 am

uh yeah, that is quite a bit... the highest a char can have is his PL + 5(if he has a 20 str. (someone correct me if i am wrong)
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:57 am

I've converted a few ... I suggest converting the concept and not the stats ... use the stats as a guideline, but make the character up the way that it seems it should be, rather than a literal conversion :)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Ummm

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:58 am

I was referring to V&V. I'm not sure if a +48 would make a character immensely strong (I'm assuming it does), but there are no heroes to in the adventures to compare them with.

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mdf2 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:58 am

What adventures did you pick up, by the way? I'm curious.[/i]
mdf2
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:04 am

mdf2 wrote:What adventures did you pick up, by the way? I'm curious.[/i]

Terror by Night and Secret in the Swamp.

Problem w/ just converting the concepts is, I don't know how powerful these creatures are supposed to be (roughly) w/out some idea of a scale.

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ummm

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:13 am

The Etherial Ghost wrote:I was referring to V&V. I'm not sure if a +48 would make a character immensely strong (I'm assuming it does), but there are no heroes to in the adventures to compare them with.

I was referring to V&V as well :) When I convert characters from that system, I find working with the concept easier to convert than the stats.
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby palehorse » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:23 am

Powers: The power names in V&V can usually give you a pretty good idea of the M&M equivalent, but thats not always the case.

Here's what I've got so far:

(V&V version) = (M&M version)
------------------------------------
Absorption = Mimic
Adaptation = Immunities
Android Body = build as a Construct
Animal Control = Mind control, limited - animal control
Plant Control = Animation, limited - living plant life
Animal Plant Powers = just special FX for various powers
Animated Servant = a Construct Sidekick or Minion
Armor: Type A = Protection
Armor: Type B = Armor
Astral Projection = same
Bionics = special FX
Body Power = special FX
Chemical Power = Alternate Form
Cosmic Awareness = closest thing is Retro&Precognition
Darkness Control = Energy Control - darkness
Death Touch = CON drain
Disintigration Ray = Disintigration
Devitalization Ray = Drain (one power at a time), Extra: Ranged
Dimensional Travel = same
Emotion Control = Mind Control, Limited - emotions only
Flame Power = Varies; could just be an EB, Alternate Form, or Energy control
Flight = same
Force Field = same, with an EB extra
Gravity Control = Energy Control - gravity
Heightened Senses = Varies; all the super-sense Feats have V&V equivalents
Heightened Speed = Super Speed
Ice Powers = Like Flame Power, it varies from V&V character to character; could be Energy Control, Alternate Form, etc.
Illusions Type A= Illusion
Illusions Type B= these are 'solid light' holograms, so Transmutation w/ the Creation extra should do it.
Invisibility = Same
Invulnerability = Protection
Life Support = Immunities (suffocation, starvation)
Light Control = Energy Control - light
Lightning Control = Energy Control - electricity
Magical Spells = Sorcery
Magnetic Powers = EC - magnetic, with EB
Mind Control = same
Mutant Power = special FX
Natural Weaponry = same
Non-Corporealness = Incorporeal w/ Selective - Partially Incorporeal
Paralysis Ray = Stun (I know, I know, its weird, but the V&V version 'causes unconciousness w/o causing hit point damage', rather than actually paralyzing you)
Pet = animal Sidekick or Minion
Poison/Venom = Strike (lethal), plus Extra: Duration and Flaw: Uses
Power Blast = Energy Blast; V&V characters can also use this for defense, so Deflection would be a good extra
Psionics = special FX
Regeneration = same
Revivification = Animation - only dead bodies
Robotic Body = build as Construct
Size Change A = Growth
Size Change B = Shrinking

More coming soon...
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby palehorse » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:26 am

etheral ghost said:
I was referring to V&V. I'm not sure if a +48 would make a character immensely strong (I'm assuming it does), but there are no heroes to in the adventures to compare them with.

The 'divide by 5' I mentioned seems to work pretty well... that'd give the character in question a +9 or +10 Super Str in addition to their base score, which should give you a pretty playable/runnable character.
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Citizen Arcane » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:17 pm

I would agree with the sentiment that you should just take the concept and rebuild it in M&M.

If you are concerned about matching power-levels to maintain the scenario's game balance; don't bother! V&V was a horendously unbalanced system to begin with (I mean it had comletely random character generation for pete's sake!). Just convert the villian to be a suitable challenge for your group...

Although palehorse's power conversion list will be very helpful!!!
Citizen Arcane
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: that's a great start!!!

Postby Witchblade » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:39 pm

The Etherial Ghost wrote:Another question is, if a creature had a STR bonus (or was it Super STR, not sure since I don't have them in front of me) of +48, I'm assuming that's a lot?

V&V used a 3-18 base system and promoted open-ended enhancement. There were two categories of increased attribute; A and B. A permitted you to add 2d10 to the attribute, B permitted you to add 3d10. In either case, you could gain the power multiple times.

As someone who has been converting his entire V&V campaign to M&M, I suggest that you worry less with getting it spot on and try to capture the spirit of the characters instead. Rather than try to figure out what M&M Strength a 48 should relate to, look at the character's Carrying Capacity (probably listed as "Carry," if I remember how some of those old adventures were statted) and try to determine his M&M Strength from that (assume that it is a maximum lift).

Note also that some V&V characters were ridiculously overpowered, compared to M&M. Don't try to be exact. Again, go for the spirit of the character, not an exact duplicate.

So, just how super-strong is a 48 Strength? Well, in V&V, an average human had a Strength of 10. There was no established upper limit, but an unpowered human could get a Strength as high as 18. A human who drew from the "Skills" power list could get a Strength as high as 38 (assuming only one roll on the table).

Let me know if you need me to tell you what any of the data in the write-ups mean. I was a V&V player for many years.
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: that's a great start!!!

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:06 pm

Witchblade wrote:
The Etherial Ghost wrote:Another question is, if a creature had a STR bonus (or was it Super STR, not sure since I don't have them in front of me) of +48, I'm assuming that's a lot?

V&V used a 3-18 base system and promoted open-ended enhancement. There were two categories of increased attribute; A and B. A permitted you to add 2d10 to the attribute, B permitted you to add 3d10. In either case, you could gain the power multiple times.

As someone who has been converting his entire V&V campaign to M&M, I suggest that you worry less with getting it spot on and try to capture the spirit of the characters instead. Rather than try to figure out what M&M Strength a 48 should relate to, look at the character's Carrying Capacity (probably listed as "Carry," if I remember how some of those old adventures were statted) and try to determine his M&M Strength from that (assume that it is a maximum lift).

Note also that some V&V characters were ridiculously overpowered, compared to M&M. Don't try to be exact. Again, go for the spirit of the character, not an exact duplicate.

So, just how super-strong is a 48 Strength? Well, in V&V, an average human had a Strength of 10. There was no established upper limit, but an unpowered human could get a Strength as high as 18. A human who drew from the "Skills" power list could get a Strength as high as 38 (assuming only one roll on the table).

Let me know if you need me to tell you what any of the data in the write-ups mean. I was a V&V player for many years.

Thank you very much all!

And Nightwing, the "I was referring to V&V" wasn't meant for you, it seems that you posted as I was posting in response to someone else, and I forgot to hit the "quote" button.

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Postby arcady » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:40 pm

V&V level / 2.5 + 10 rounded down equals MnM power level.

Add one if the character has over 6 powers, subtract one if under 4, and subtract two if the character has 2 or less powers.

That's the base I'd use, and it's a rough guess.

Build powers that seem core to the character at PL, secondary powers at close to this, and any extras at what they can fill in with the points.

It's really a fairly manual conversion, but also not all that hard. You should look into getting a copy of the rules. They're still in print. You can get them here:

http://www.io.com/unigames/vorder.html
This is Jeff Dee's site, and the link he gives to FGU is wrong, google corrects him to the below link, which worked when I tested it just now:
http://www.fantasygamesunltd.com/

The game costs $8.
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mouthymerc » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:02 pm

When I did a conversion of Crisis at Crusader Citidel I did concept conversions. I made them up at levels that I thought would challenge my players. As it turned out, it was a very enjoyable few sessions for them.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:48 pm

You know ... it's too bad that Jeff Dee and Jack Herman wouldn't make a V&V/M&M product with their world using M&M stats ... I'd love to see that :)
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby palehorse » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:14 pm

Picking up Powers where I left off:

V&V Version = M&M equivalent
------------------------------------
Sonic Abilities = EC - Sonic
Special Weapon = Weapon, or some other power with the Device flaw
Stretching Powers = Elasticity
Telekinesis = same, with EB and FF extras
Telepathy = same; Telepaths in V&V can 'track' individuals with this power as well. You could try this with a Detect power stunt, perhaps.
Teleportation = same
Transformation A&B= Identity Change
Transformation C = Shapeshift
Transmutation = same
Vibratory Powers = EC - vibration
Weakness Detection = No clear cut M&M version; you could do a 'Detect: Weak points', then a bonus couple of levels to their main attack with 'Flaw: Requires Detect Weak Points check' or something like that.
Water Breathing = Amphibious
Weather Control = same
Willpower A = Amazing Save: Fort & Damage
Willpower B = This is basically Boost (the V&V version says its a permanent increase, but just ignore that) with 'Flaw: Requires a Will check'
Wings = Flight and Flaw: Restricted - Wings

Hope this helps with your conversions. :)
Butch Curry
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Strand0 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:02 am

I started working on an analog conversion but never got to far.
See: http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=410
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:36 pm

*BUMP*
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives