Drawing up Wildguard characters...

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Drawing up Wildguard characters...

Postby Kuririn » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:12 pm

For those who missed the threads, Todd Nauck (of Young Justice fame) is starting up a new project called Wildguard, which is basically American Idol meets the Avengers -- out of a pool of possible superheroes, 5 are chosen to be a team/media event.

I've decided to borrow this idea for a game, along with many of the characters he's created, but the problem is that there's scant little info on the characters besides a name, picture, rough power description and a bit of (sometimes humorous) flavor. So... what do these heroes look like in M&M? Here's my first attempt:

The Human Shield
PL 10; Init 0; Defense 15 (+5 Base); Spd 30 ft.; Atk +2 melee (+3S, punch); SV Dmg +6, Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +1; St 17, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.
Skills: Craft (Mechanics) +4, Drive +2, Intimidate +7, Listen +5, Spot +5.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Toughness, Durability, Immunity (Critical Hits)
Powers: Protection +10 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 2 pp], Force Field +10 [Extras: Deflection, Affect Others x3 (50 ft. radius area); Source: Mutation; Cost: 6 pp].

I'm leaving the "real world" name up to the players (I'm going to use these as possible characters for new players uncomfortable with drawing up their own), but the basic backstory for my version of the Human Shield is that he was just a mechanic once, until an accident at the shop revealed his preternatural toughness and ability to create shields of force.

(Stat-wise, I'm still not sure on him; he could probably use Amazing Save : Fortitude, and I'm tempted to try to fit in Amazing Save: Damage despite its utter redundancy.)

Comments/critiques are welcome.

Coming next: Wannabe!
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:31 pm

Nery cool
I have also been working on stats for these characters - i find that the info Todd gives is perfect for tweeking into your own game or campaign as it where - I have Dr Wattage, Longfellow, and Running Girl done, was going to finish my five picks and post them first but you have beat me to the punnch - if I can offer any help please let me know!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx

ps
good job on the Human Shield one of my favs! But not in my top 5 picks :roll:
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Kuririn » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:56 pm

Oooh, I'd love to see your take on Running Girl; that was going to be one of my next characters to do.

(And I just realized that I made a mistake on Human Shield - he should get his first Force Field extra for free, which should free up 10 points... just enough for a little bit of Amazing Save: Fort. :D I'll make edits tomorrow.)

Anyway, next is the mystery gal of the bunch...

Wannabe
PL 10; Init +1 (Dex); Defense 14 (+3 base, +1 Dex); Spd 30 ft; Atk +2 melee (+0S, punch); SV Dmg +2, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2, Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 15.
Skills: Acrobatics +2, Balance +3, Computers +3, Diplomacy +3, Knowledge (Super heroes) +11, Knowledge (Local) +6, Listen +3, Profession (Librarian) +5, Search +6, Spot +3.
Feats: Assessment, Detect (Superpowers), Skill Focus: Knowledge (Superheroes), Photographic Memory
Powers: Mimic (Powers) +10 [Extras: Ranged, Expanded Powers x6 (Mimic powers up to 8 pp); Flaws: Limited - Mutant and alien powers only; Source: Mutation; Cost: 8 pp], Amazing Save (Damage) +1 [Extras: Amazing Save (Willpower, Reflex, Fortitude); Source: Training; Cost: 4 pp].

Wannabe's backstory places her as a librarian with a relatively harmless obsession: super heroes. She eats, drinks, and breathes superhuman trivia, and follows their exploits religiously. Only fitting, since she is superhuman... she just doesn't realize it yet. She's never been close enough to one in person to detect their powers or for her mimicry to kick in. In the meantime, she's taken a few self-defense classes (since she doesn't live in the best of neighborhoods), and she's hoping that little bit of combat finesse will help her in her Wildguard tryouts... of course, when she sees someone use their powers and wishes she could do the same, she may be in for a bit of a shock!
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Thee Unknown Knows » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:43 pm

What a cool idea. Thanks for the heads up! Very fan oriented, which is always a good thing! :D
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words. -- P. K. Dick
Thee Unknown Knows
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Drawing up Wildguard characters...

Postby mrfusion » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:59 pm

Kuririn wrote:The Human Shield
PL 10; Init 0; Defense 15 (+5 Base); Spd 30 ft.; Atk +2 melee (+3S, punch); SV Dmg +6, Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +1; St 17, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Toughness, Durability, Immunity (Critical Hits)
Powers: Protection +10 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 2 pp], Force Field +10 [Extras: Deflection, Affect Others x3 (50 ft. radius area); Source: Mutation; Cost: 6 pp].

------------------8<---------------------------------

Comments/critiques are welcome.

If you reduce his Str to 16 and increase his Will to 14, you'll get SV Will +2, Listen +6, Spot +6, as well as a +1 to all the rest of his Wisdom skills at no extra cost.

And you probably realize he can't take the benefit of having both Force Field +10 and Protection +10 against any single attack.

Oh yeah, the errata gives FF a "free" extra, so your cost for that last power should be 5pp/level not 6pp/level.

But actually I'd combine your two powers (and get rid of FF) this way:

Powers: Protection +10 [Extras: Deflection, Affect Others x3 (50 ft. radius area); Source: Mutation; Cost: 6 pp].

Take the 20 pp savings and plow it into BAB, Base Defense, and some more Feats...

Cheers!
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mrfusion » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:13 pm

Kuririn wrote:Wannabe
PL 10; Init +1 (Dex); Defense 14 (+3 base, +1 Dex); Spd 30 ft; Atk +2 melee (+0S, punch); SV Dmg +2, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2, Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 15.
Skills: Acrobatics +2, Balance +3, Computers +3, Diplomacy +3, Knowledge (Super heroes) +11, Knowledge (Local) +6, Listen +3, Profession (Librarian) +5, Search +6, Spot +3.
Feats: Assessment, Detect (Superpowers), Skill Focus: Knowledge (Superheroes), Photographic Memory
Powers: Mimic (Powers) +10 [Extras: Ranged, Expanded Powers x6 (Mimic powers up to 8 pp); Flaws: Limited - Mutant and alien powers only; Source: Mutation; Cost: 8 pp], Amazing Save (Damage) +1 [Extras: Amazing Save (Willpower, Reflex, Fortitude); Source: Training; Cost: 4 pp].

OK, Mr Fusion cranks up his Character Optimizer (patent pending) again :wink:

Change:
Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 15.

To:
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 14.

That changes the following:
SV Dmg +3, Fort +3, Computers +4, Knowledge (Super heroes) +12, Knowledge (Local) +7, Search +7

Remember boys and girls: odd numbered stats are bad, while even numbered stats are good...

Cheers!
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mrfusion » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:27 pm

OK, I can't leave an odd stat untouched:

Increase Will to 14 (taking a pp from the Listen Skill). That gets you:

SV Will +3, Listen +3, Spot +4

Cheers again!
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kuririn » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:01 pm

Applied mrfusion's changes (except for combining Force Field and Protection - just want to keep those powers separate), noticed I was still 10 points under on Human Shield, and made some additional tweaks. Here's the revised Human Shield and Wannabe:

The Human Shield
PL 10; Init 0; Defense 15 (+6 Base); Spd 30 ft.; Atk +7 melee (+3S, punch); SV Dmg +6, Fort +16, Ref +0, Will +2; Str 16, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Toughness, Durability, Endurance, Immunity (Critical Hits), Rapid Healing
Powers: Protection +10 [Source: Mutation; Cost: 2 pp], Force Field +10 [Extras: Deflection, Affect Others x3 (50 ft. radius area); Source: Mutation; Cost: 5 pp], Amazing Save (Fortitude) [Source: Mutation; Cost: 1 pp].

Wannabe
PL 10; Init +1 (Dex); Defense 14 (+3 base, +1 Dex); Spd 30 ft; Atk +2 melee (+0S, punch); SV Dmg +2, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2, Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 14.
Skills: Acrobatics +2, Balance +3, Computers +4, Diplomacy +3, Knowledge (Super heroes) +12, Knowledge (Local) +7, Listen +3, Profession (Librarian) +6, Search +7, Spot +4.

I hope to have Motherboard, the living computer, done tomorrow night, along with... oh, Crag Langley, just for the hell of it. :D
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Webhead » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:16 am

I stumbled across the Wildguard website sometime last week and I thought it looked like it would be a lot of fun. I could see myself trying to set up a campaign to begin that way.

So many potentially interesting characters (and some really BAD ones too... :green: ) and I'm definately waiting to pick this mini-series up.

I did just a bit of converting on these characters, and so I give you...Headlight!

Headlight: PL: 8; Init +2 (+2 dex); Defense 16/14(+2 dex, +4 base); Atk +5 melee (+0S, punch), +7 ranged (+8S/L, energy blast); SV Dmg +5, Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +7; Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Computers +10, Knowledge (History) +15, Languages (Latin, German), Profession (Researcher) +5, Science (Mathematics) +10, Science (Physics) +15, Spot +4
Feats: Dodge, Point Blank Shot, Talented (Knowledge: History and Science: Physics)
Powers: Amazing Save: Damage +4 [Extras: Reflex, Will; Cost: 3pp], Super-Intelligence +4 [Cost: 2pp]
Devices: Sunstone (Light Control +8 [Extras: Energy Blast, Dual Damage, Deflection; Flaw: Device; Cost: 4pp])

I thought I'd make the source of her light powers a mystical gem that she prominently displays on the forehead of her mask. Just my own personal touch since we are given such vague information on her.
"Skeletal Sheep!!? Only George would design a dungeon protected by the undead guardians of a sheep cult!"
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Webhead » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:25 am

Oops...I made a boo boo and placed (and thus calculated) Dual Damage as an Extra instead of a Power Stunt. Here's the revised Headlight:

Headlight: PL: 8; Init +2 (+2 dex); Defense 16/14(+2 dex, +4 base); Atk +5 melee (+0S, punch), +7 ranged (+8S/L, energy blast); SV Dmg +5, Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +7; Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Computers +11, Knowledge (History) +15, Languages (Latin, German), Profession (Researcher) +5, Science (Mathematics) +12, Science (Physics) +15, Spot +5
Feats: Dodge, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Talented (Knowledge: History and Science: Physics)
Powers: Amazing Save: Damage +4 [Extras: Reflex, Will; Cost: 3pp], Super-Intelligence +4 [Cost: 2pp]
Devices: Sunstone (Light Control +8 [Extras: Energy Blast, Deflection; Power Stunt: Dual Damage; Flaw: Device; Cost: 3pp])
"Skeletal Sheep!!? Only George would design a dungeon protected by the undead guardians of a sheep cult!"
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:24 am

Webhead wrote:I stumbled across the Wildguard website sometime last week and I thought it looked like it would be a lot of fun. I could see myself trying to set up a campaign to begin that way.

So many potentially interesting characters (and some really BAD ones too... :green: ) and I'm definately waiting to pick this mini-series up.

I thought I'd make the source of her light powers a mystical gem that she prominently displays on the forehead of her mask. Just my own personal touch since we are given such vague information on her.

Yeah - But with such vague information about the characters - It kinda lends itself to the idea that one can tweek them to suit their game needs. I really like your take on Headlight BTW!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Webhead » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:56 pm

It kinda lends itself to the idea that one can tweek them to suit their game needs. I really like your take on Headlight BTW!

Thanks, I thought it was kinda neat myself.

I totally agree. I'm glad that it is kept a bit sparse but with just enough information to shape a character with.
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Kuririn » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:57 pm

As promised, here's the next Wildguard character...

Crag Langley
PL 10; Init 0; Defense 16 (+6 Base); Spd 30 ft.; Atk +12 melee (+15S, punch); SV Dmg +7, Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +0; Str 20, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14.
Skills: Acrobatics +4, Bluff +6, Climb +9, Escape Artist +2, Jump +16, Intimidate +21, Perform +4, Profession (Pro Wrestler) +4, Taunt +8
Feats: Chokehold, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Power Attack, Takedown Attack, Talented (Initimidate & Taunt), Toughness
Powers: Alternate Form: Solid +10 [Extra: Shockwave; Flaw: Permanent; Source: Mutation; Cost: 5 pp], Amazing Save (Reflex) +5 [Extras: Amazing Save (Fortitude); Source: Training; Cost: 2 pp].
Weaknesses: Disturbing.

Crag's background is pretty simple (and unintentionally similar to Spasm, the latest Crooks preview): he was a second-string professional wrestler who was taking a cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs to help boost him into the limelight. Instead, the mix of chemicals going into his body triggered a change -- he got the strength and bulk he wanted, but his body started synthesizing silicon instead of carbon. Now, he's permanently a large man-shaped monolith of rock, but he still packs a nasty German suplex.

Coming next: Motherboard!
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Webhead » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:54 pm

I'm getting ready to post a couple more Wildguard characters soon. Next up from me should be the Shrubling and Mister Mold.
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Kuririn » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:06 pm

Question on Motherboard: Think I should draw her up as a construct character (with "-" constitution), or not? Do the benefits of getting the extra points (since I already have most of the construct Immunities taken for her) outweigh the benefits of having a Fort save, or vice versa?
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Webhead » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:27 pm

Question on Motherboard: Think I should draw her up as a construct character (with "-" constitution), or not?

In my personal opinion, it wouldn't be appropriate to create Motherboard as a construct with no Constitution. In the section titled Construct Characters it explains:

While the majority of constructs are minions, some artificial beings are characters, either player character heroes or NPCs (either heroes or villains). These characters follow slightly different rules...

Generally major construct characters are built using the same rules as normal PCs and NPCs with the stipulation that they buy the 20 point Immunity package that represents the inherent qualities of a machine.

This means that you cannot buy hardness for such a character (you would buy Amazing Save: Damage instead) but it also means that they take damage like normal characters and not like objects.

As tempting as having hardness can be sometimes, if you look at the effects of damage on objects (including Constitution-less constructs) it becomes immediately clear why you should build major PC or NPC constructs with the standard creation rules.

Just my 2 cents...
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Kuririn » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:45 pm

As promised, here's the living computer...

Motherboard
PL 10; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Defense 12 (+2 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; Atk +2 melee (+2S, punch); SV Dmg +2, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +17; Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 10.
Skills: Computers +30, Craft (Electronics) +20, Disable Device +20, Knowledge (Local) +16, Knowledge (History) +16, Knowledge (Geography) +16, Knowledge (Trivia) +16, Repair +16, Science (Mathematics) +20, Science (Robotics) +20, Science (Physics) +16, Science (Chemistry) +16, Science (Biology) +16, Science (Geology) +16, Search +16
Feats: Darkvision, Immunity (Aging, Critical Hits, Disease, Energy: Heat, Energy: Cold, Exhaustion, Poison, Pressure, Starvation, Suffocation), Iron Will, Photographic Memory, Radio Broadcast, Radio Hearing, Skill Focus (Computers), Ultra-hearing
Powers: Super Intelligence +10 [Extras: Amazing Save (Will), Animation (Flaw: Machines only), Comprehend, Datalink; Source: Super Science; Cost: 5 pp], Illusion +1 [Source: Super Science; Cost: 2 pp].
Weaknesses: Naive, Disturbing.

No real backstory yet, other than being a cold, analytical being with a large chunk of the world's knowledge stuffed in her noggin. The "Illusion" power is just there for doing holographic displays and such (since her art pictures her with these green mesh shapes she's projecting).
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:22 am

Looks good!
And if you haven't checked out the Wildguard site you really should - its loaded with tons of stuff even a message board with new art and info about non-featured heroes who are going to be at the try outs!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby MusicFreq2002 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:57 am

hey Nightlynx,

i just scanned the forum top to bottom and couldn't find any pics or new characters. maybe i'm blind. would you post some links?

-musicfreq2002
MusicFreq2002
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Webhead » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:46 pm

I present for you viewing pleasure...MISTER MOLD!

Mister Mold: PL: 10; Init +2 (+2 dex); Defense 16/14 (+ 2dex, + 4base); Atk +8 melee (+3S, punch), +7 ranged; SV Dmg +5, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Escape Artist +14, Intimidate +7, Profession (wrestler) +4, Science (chemistry) +2, Spot +4, Taunt +6
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Rapid Strike, Talented (Intimidate and Taunt), Toughness
Powers: Regeneration +5 [Cost: 2pp], Shapeshift +10 [Extras: Elongation, Growth, Plasticity; Flaw: Limited-Signiture; Cost: 8pp]
Weakness: Disturbing: Because Mold’s skin is spongy and pale green in color, his presence is often unsettling to normal people. This makes the hero somewhat self-conscious but he otherwise regards his abilities as a gift.

Hope you all enjoy it! :green:
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:47 pm

MusicFreq2002 wrote:hey Nightlynx,

i just scanned the forum top to bottom and couldn't find any pics or new characters. maybe i'm blind. would you post some links?

-musicfreq2002

They are in the Forum area of the board - under the comic section - I can't recall what thread but i'll look and see if i can find the link...

peace and good gaming
nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:54 pm

http://www.imagecomics.com/images/press ... 00x500.jpg

ok there you go check it out and look for the guys who aren't covered in the main voting list - but have been addressed in the site forum by Todd himself :green:

1. Woman with amber hair and white/lavender costume
(in bottom left corner).
2. Person in full red armor suit.
3. Man with orange and green costume (under Barbrazons shield).
4. Man with green and white costume, with a big "A" on the front.
5. Man with full armor suit and mask (top right corner).
6. Man with pale skin and yellow tights (right behind Ignacia and Toughlon).

are:

1. Chillian: Frost/ice powers. I can't remember any
red-head in comic history with these powers. Their
usually fire power heroes.

2. The Crimson Phantom Vengeance: Dark Lord of
Justice. Mwahahahaha!!!

3. Dr. Stinger: Insect powers. Doesn't shrink, though.

4. Athello: Athletic themed superhero.

5. Armored Man: He's a man in armor.

6. Zinc Slammer: "A man made of zinc?!", you say.
"You're MAD!", you exclaim. "Am I?", I reply.

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby MusicFreq2002 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:34 am

thanks for the rundown, Nightlynx. i appreciate the effort.

-musicfreq2002
MusicFreq2002
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kuririn » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:03 pm

Working on Aqua-Chica, Lilly Hammer, Freezerburn, and Ignacia next. Quick question on Aqua-Chica: her power is listed as "hydro-manipulation," but her art apparently shows her hand transforming into water. What does everyone think: Alternate Form: Liquid, Elemental Control: Water, or both?
Kuririn
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:11 pm

Kuririn wrote:Working on Aqua-Chica, Lilly Hammer, Freezerburn, and Ignacia next. Quick question on Aqua-Chica: her power is listed as "hydro-manipulation," but her art apparently shows her hand transforming into water. What does everyone think: Alternate Form: Liquid, Elemental Control: Water, or both?

I would go with both - but put more into the alt from as far as extras - and for the water control power to work i would have her have to be in contact with it (the water) just to give her an interesting twist.. but that's just my opinion!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Next

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives