mimic question(s)

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

mimic question(s)

Postby The BLur » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:18 am

ok, i am now starting my own game for MnM. which will start up in a few weeks. I have a few questioins.

1) One of my players asked about having mimic and power immunity, in that, if i mimic someone else am i then immune to their powers?

I said no becuase they aren't 'your' powers, you are only copying them from some else. but he was not convinced by this arguement, and i am not going to allow it anyways. unless i am drastically wrong here. anyways feedback appriciated

2)ok, one of my baddies was going to be focusing on duplication, i now see a potential big problem if the mimic copies the duplication guy, then makes a bunch of duplicates, and then each duplicate copies one of the other superheroes or villains... any advice on this subject? is what i just talked about legal?

thanks in advance,

The BLur
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby Novac » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:41 am

In my opinion, you're right about the power immunity thing. I was looking at making a mimic PC in Silver Age Setninels and I thought, "Man, this is expensive. I couldn't get any other powers." Then I smacked myself on the forehead, "What other power do you NEED?" Anyway, yeah he could be immune if someone mimiced his mimicing(?).

As for the dupes, ow, I never thought about using the power for something like that. That WOULD be a beast. Might want to ask some of the more experienced people on here.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby The BLur » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:54 am

Anyway, yeah he could be immune if someone mimiced his mimicing(?).

yeah i guess so lol, though i don't know how often that would come up

the way he thought it would be was if he mimicked hero X, he would then be immune to hero X's powers.

I see as, if he mimicks Hero X, and they fires an energy blast or what have you. Then Hero Z, reflects it at him, or absorbs and shoots back, then he would be immune. just to clarify
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Re: mimic question(s)

Postby Zenon » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:30 am

The BLur wrote:I have a few questioins.

1) One of my players asked about having mimic and power immunity, in that, if i mimic someone else am i then immune to their powers?

IMHO, this could happen if the Hero/Villain being copied had the Power Immunity Feat, and the mimic had the ability to mimic Feats from the Hero. The end result would be a mimic immune to the Hero's powers and a Hero immune to the mimc weilding his own powers against him. If only the mimic had PI feat, then that does not make him immune to powers he is mimicing from someone else because they are not "his" powers.

The BLur wrote:2)ok, one of my baddies was going to be focusing on duplication, i now see a potential big problem if the mimic copies the duplication guy, then makes a bunch of duplicates, and then each duplicate copies one of the other superheroes or villains... any advice on this subject? is what i just talked about legal?

Hmm, this could happen, but the duplicates are treated like minions for taking damage. This means they basically go down in one punch, so I don't see a big problem with it. Duplication is also limited by the rank of the power it can duplicat unless you buy massive extras (which makes it a more expensive power cost) which in turn makes it harder to mimic because you have to have the extras to duplicate high cost powers.
Zenon
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The BLur » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:39 am

which in turn makes it harder to mimic because you have to have the extras to duplicate high cost powers.

oh yes, i forgot about that.

MHO, this could happen if the Hero/Villain being copied had the Power Immunity Feat, and the mimic had the ability to mimic Feats from the Hero. The end result would be a mimic immune to the Hero's powers and a Hero immune to the mimc weilding his own powers against him. If only the mimic had PI feat, then that does not make him immune to powers he is mimicing from someone else because they are not "his" powers.

yep thats pretty much how i saw it. thanks, i just wanted some reassurance.
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby faenril » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:52 am

Does touch powers like Mimic (also drain, transfer etc.) with the ranged extra need a To Hit roll ?

eg: the shapeshifter of my team who has ranged mimic have to roll for attack when she assumes the form of someone in range and want to mimic his powers ?
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby horned god » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:22 pm

I think Power Immunity basically is a power so that if you get an attack reflected back on to yourself your not effected, and if you have an Area based power and want to use it two feet from yourself, go for it, as you can't harm yourself. Yet, if you mimicked someone's powers you could effect them and they could effect you. You both would simply have the same power at the same rank probably (depending on the rank of the mimic power). Many times that will be the same as you could mimick someone with enough protection to nullfiy a blast from his own power but that is not power immunity that is simply having lots of protection.

That is how I would interpret but if someone then said 'ok I am not convinced' I'd simply respond this not a debate to convince an interpretation upon the GM, but the other way around, the GM telling you his intpretation whcih is how it would be played, end of subject.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mgg » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:49 pm

faenril wrote:Does touch powers like Mimic (also drain, transfer etc.) with the ranged extra need a To Hit roll ?

eg: the shapeshifter of my team who has ranged mimic have to roll for attack when she assumes the form of someone in range and want to mimic his powers ?

I would pretty much think so. I suppose you might make a decent case for mimic being automatic as part of shape shift, but certainly drain and transfer require to hit rolls.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives