Rave's Illusion flaw(The Heist spoilers)

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rave's Illusion flaw(The Heist spoilers)

Postby Lammasu » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:04 pm

so after reading Rave's stats what exactly would the limitation of creating warped perceptions do to illusions?
Die Feuerschatten knows to much. He must be destroyed.
Lammasu
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Rave's Illusion flaw(The Heist spoilers)

Postby Jeff Wilder » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:46 pm

Lammasu wrote:so after reading Rave's stats what exactly would the limitation of creating warped perceptions do to illusions?

Just as a guess, I'd say it's the difference between creating entirely new things that aren't really there, and modifying extant surroundings. So, for instance, Rave could make a car's hood open up a huge toothy maw, but he couldn't actually make a dinosaur appear.

Think of it like an "Induce Bad Trip" or "Brown Acid" power.
Jeff Wilder

"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" -- Buffy Summers
Jeff Wilder
Bystander
Bystander

Postby twinkler » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:17 am

I was assuming that the power was limited to distorting depth perception, making things look like they're three feet to the left of they actually are, making it seem like Rant is right in the line of your energy blast (when Rant is really standing next to you and you're actually targetting a teammate), etc. Spatial distortion stuff.

An interesting effect to be sure.
twinkler
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sean Glenn » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:26 am

When I read it, I assumed it meant that the illusions were going to be distorted views of what is actually there (like looking in a fun house mirror), instead of illusions of objects that previously didn't exist. Think of her as the psychedelic trip girl.
Sean Glenn
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby Dionysus_the_Hammer » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:43 am

Brown Acid Power? Hmmm........ :wink:
Dionysus the Hammer

"We are your Overlords."
Dionysus_the_Hammer
Cohort
Cohort

Postby arcady » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:50 am

Watch a psychadelic film from the late 60s, early 70s, and you will understand this flaw.

As I see it, he puts people on drug trips.
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Valdier » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:43 am

That is the same way I read it, the ability to "trip" people out.
If you are looking for news, examples, tutorials, FAQ or something else, try visiting Valdier.com
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lammasu » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:35 am

well it descibers one of her tactics of making teamates apear as enemies. so does that cover the psychadelic thing?
Die Feuerschatten knows to much. He must be destroyed.
Lammasu
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Squirrel Nutkin » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:37 am

Sean Glenn wrote:When I read it, I assumed it meant that the illusions were going to be distorted views of what is actually there (like looking in a fun house mirror), instead of illusions of objects that previously didn't exist. Think of her as the psychedelic trip girl.

Ditto -- I imagined the sort of thing Steve Ditko drew in the original "Shade, the Changing Man" issues, like some kind of distorted, psychedelic freak-out version of one's surroundings.
Squirrel Nutkin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby faenril » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:47 am

Sean Glenn wrote:When I read it, I assumed it meant that the illusions were going to be distorted views of what is actually there (like looking in a fun house mirror), instead of illusions of objects that previously didn't exist. Think of her as the psychedelic trip girl.
But why is there the need for the Obscure Extra ?
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Inazuma » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:56 am

faenril wrote:
But why is there the need for the Obscure Extra ?

It's just an extension of her "make something look like something else" power. She could probably make light appear as darkness or the air appear as fog or something.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Anthony » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:35 am

faenril wrote:But why is there the need for the Obscure Extra ?

To allow hiding what's actually there?
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby SESchend » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:43 pm

Squirrel Nutkin wrote:

Ditto -- I imagined the sort of thing Steve Ditko drew in the original "Shade, the Changing Man" issues, like some kind of distorted, psychedelic freak-out version of one's surroundings.

Hey, somebody figured out where I got the idea for her from.... :)

I dropped Rant & Rave into the FC manuscript, and Steve picked them up and ran with them for The Heist.... Now one of these days soon, I'll get around to statting and writing up others I dropped in like Human Tank and Gunner....

Steven Schend
Who's clapping loudly for the FC team's win of 3 silver ENnies!
SESchend
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:11 pm

SESchend wrote:
Squirrel Nutkin wrote:

Hey, somebody figured out where I got the idea for her from.... :)

I dropped Rant & Rave into the FC manuscript, and Steve picked them up and ran with them for The Heist.... Now one of these days soon, I'll get around to statting and writing up others I dropped in like Human Tank and Gunner....

Steven Schend
Who's clapping loudly for the FC team's win of 3 silver ENnies!

Nice creations there, Steven! I remember seeing R&R in the FC book somewhere. Here's hoping Human Tank and Gunner get their own free mini-adventure! :D

And congrats on the 3 silvers!
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Novac » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:23 pm

By far, it was one of the more fun 'meet and greet' types of adventures I have read.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives