SuperStar's Character Artwork

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Striker » Sun May 11, 2003 9:53 pm

Actually SS, I watch more cartoons than I read comics, (yeah yeah, boo hiss, all that) and your drawings remind me of the Batman/Superman shows that used to come on WB.

I like the comic genre, and I love TPB's and graphic novels, but normal comic books are just too short for me to get into. Of course I just broke this rule for the Voltron comic that just started up. I've always loved Voltron!

"Form Blazing Sword!" :green:
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Paladin » Mon May 12, 2003 3:05 am

Wargod looks cool. I'll do him FF style when I get home.
Paladin
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby powerboy » Mon May 12, 2003 6:21 am

Wow! Great work. I love the costume design.
powerboy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SuperStar » Mon May 12, 2003 11:57 am

Athena wrote::o Wow, this is nice SS. Any chance you are going to be drawing a Star Soldier in this style in the near future?

Just trying to get a feel for the Pbem. :green:

Thanks. :) Maybe after some other characters. This guy's design probably emerged from me pictuing the Martian starsoldiers.

Actually SS, I watch more cartoons than I read comics, (yeah yeah, boo hiss, all that) and your drawings remind me of the Batman/Superman shows that used to come on WB.

I love those! My favorite is Batman Beyond though I haven't seen too much of it. The first Batan Animated series in the 90's was really cool as well. When I say "Timm-style" I am referring to the lead animator/producer from all of those WB cartoons, Bruce Timm.

TPBs are pretty much all I read now days as well.

Wargod looks cool. I'll do him FF style when I get home.

Cool! So how is that game?

Wow! Great work. I love the costume design.

Glad you like!
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Paladin » Mon May 12, 2003 3:38 pm

Hey SuperStar, I hope you don't mind me posting this here; if you do, please say so and I'll post it in another thread.

As promised, here's the FF version of Wargod. Enjoy.

Paladin
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby SuperStar » Mon May 12, 2003 4:00 pm

Paladin wrote:Hey SuperStar, I hope you don't mind me posting this here; if you do, please say so and I'll post it in another thread.

As promised, here's the FF version of Wargod. Enjoy.

Don't mind at all! That's awesome! So, what is FF like? (haven't played anything but the demo briefly) Is it fun? Does the multiplayer work nice?
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Paladin » Mon May 12, 2003 4:17 pm

SuperStar wrote:So, what is FF like? (haven't played anything but the demo briefly) Is it fun? Does the multiplayer work nice?

Well, I could go on and on about how cool and addictive it is... but you can't argue with tastes. For me, it's one of coolest comp games ever (baring Thief: Dark Project and it's sequel), and it made me go hunting for a super rpg, ultimately MnM - that's how cool it is.

You play a set of characters and build their powers with experience, through given paths - El Diablo, the fiery guy, can't have other powers than his pre-packaged, etc.

You can also build your own characters, if you feel like it, as it provides some 8, or more, generic skins and a compreensive and intuitive character generator system.

Playing it is like reading stuff from the 60's Avengers, very Golden Age; they battle everything from communists, to an alien invasion, to the minions of some long forgotten earthly god.

The multiplayer is, for me, it's weak spot; you build a team of 4 characters, and up to 4 players can play together; then, it's a basic free for all.

There are also thousands of fan skins (the 'clothing', what I did with Wargod), meshes (the basic 'frame' of the character) and mods (missions, or add-ons to the game), that you can download and run with FF; there are also multiplayer mods, which I'm yet to download, but that should cover the 'weak-spot' I mentioned before - multiplayer missions/scenarios.

Irrational Games, the producers, were initially talking about a FF 2 and a FF 3, the 2nd set in the 70's and the 3rd in the 80's, and possibly a 4th and a 5th, but I couldn't find any news on this.

Hope this helps. :)
Paladin
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Green Lantern » Mon May 12, 2003 4:55 pm

FF is so very cool. Multiplayer is so-so, as it's basically "build a team and destroy the other teams", which I find kinda dull, but my brother recently pointed out that that's what HeroClix pretty much is, which is when I reminded him I don't play HeroClix...

Anyway, making customized heroes is fun and surprisingly versatile, and the plot to the campaign is cool, even if it is hyper-cheesey, even for a four-color Silver Age setting ("For Freedom!!! :D)
Beware My Power...
Green Lantern
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby simpson » Mon May 12, 2003 5:35 pm

Freedom Force rocks. Best game I played last year, by far.

It's not a twitch game though, so if hyper action is your style, it won't be your bag. It requires a bit of strategy and planning. I spent years playing all the Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales, so it was right up my alley.

You can pick it up for pretty cheap I imagine. It's definitely worth 20$, especially if you're a silver age comic junkie. There used to be a big fan base, doing all kinds of mods (they actually had a Buffy Mod), though I have no idea if they're still around.
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doctor Otaku » Wed May 14, 2003 8:20 pm

BUMP! :green:
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby SuperStar » Thu May 15, 2003 8:33 pm

Pencil rough of a soldier mook, character and artwork by me. Been meaning to scan this in. ;)

SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby charlieluce » Thu May 15, 2003 9:26 pm

Green Lantern wrote:FF is so very cool. Multiplayer is so-so, as it's basically "build a team and destroy the other teams", which I find kinda dull, but my brother recently pointed out that that's what HeroClix pretty much is, which is when I reminded him I don't play HeroClix...

Anyway, making customized heroes is fun and surprisingly versatile, and the plot to the campaign is cool, even if it is hyper-cheesey, even for a four-color Silver Age setting ("For Freedom!!! :D)
I'm currently running through FF using four custom characters I modeled on our group's M&M characters. :D
It's interesting to try and figure out what does and doesn't convert well.
charlieluce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AslanC » Thu May 15, 2003 10:50 pm

A quick question. Well two actually :)

1] Is there a price list for your comissions?

2] Would you be willing to do DC Elseworlds style characters? IE: A different looking Robin or Superman, or what have you?

Keep up the great stuff man.

I am simply blown away.

P.S. What is this generator of which you speak?
Aslan Collas
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
AslanC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SuperStar » Thu May 15, 2003 11:40 pm

AslanC wrote:A quick question. Well two actually :)

1] Is there a price list for your comissions?

2] Would you be willing to do DC Elseworlds style characters? IE: A different looking Robin or Superman, or what have you?

Keep up the great stuff man.

I am simply blown away.

P.S. What is this generator of which you speak?

1) Well I do them for free unless you're in a hurry. :) I basically put a lot more time into commisioned work, giving it a regular comicbook style. For commisioned work the price varies based on the piece, but I start at $10 per character - backgrounds being a character.

2) Well, I can't charge for an illustration of a copyrighted character. But I could do a character that is similar to a copyrighted character like Protonik is similar to Superman. And for free work I kinda prefer to do original characters because of the legal issues with using copyrighted characters in a portfolio.
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby SuperStar » Sat May 17, 2003 6:49 pm

Work in progress. A two-gun guy named Rider. Character and artwork by me. I think the completed piece is going to be pretty cool.

SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Striker » Sat May 17, 2003 7:42 pm

He looks like he's falling backwards. Was that intentional?
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SuperStar » Sat May 17, 2003 7:46 pm

Striker wrote:He looks like he's falling backwards. Was that intentional?

Oh yes, leaping backwards, guns blazing. ;) The final piece should make it all clear (Wargod is part of the same painting).
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Striker » Sat May 17, 2003 7:46 pm

Cool! 8)
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Webhead » Sun May 18, 2003 11:41 pm

Well, I could go on and on about how cool and addictive it is... but you can't argue with tastes. For me, it's one of coolest comp games ever (baring Thief: Dark Project and it's sequel), and it made me go hunting for a super rpg, ultimately MnM - that's how cool it is.

WOW! Paladin, you're right on the money! :D The Thief games and Freedom Force are hands-down my favorite PC games ever! And now that there are signs of Thief 3's upcoming release, one can only hope that maybe we'll see more supers games in the future.

Sorry to get off topic...just felt a need to rant.
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Paladin » Mon May 19, 2003 1:19 am

Webhead wrote:WOW! Paladin, you're right on the money! :D The Thief games and Freedom Force are hands-down my favorite PC games ever! And now that there are signs of Thief 3's upcoming release, one can only hope that maybe we'll see more supers games in the future.

Sorry to get off topic...just felt a need to rant.

No, no, please continue off-topic!

Tell me more about Thief 3! :green:
Paladin
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Chris » Mon May 19, 2003 5:08 am

Where do you get the DCU templates from?
Is this an on-line character pic generator?
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Sagittary » Mon May 19, 2003 5:47 am

pc.ign.com had an article recently about Thief 3 I believe...
Sagittary
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby powerboy » Mon May 19, 2003 6:29 am

DCU Animated templates are on this site:
http://users.ev1.net/~kryptcom/frames.html

Go to the forums, then krypcon's corner, and then the Template thread.

Lot's of great stuff there.

Superstar still does some of the best animated stuff I've seen though.
powerboy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SuperStar » Mon May 19, 2003 3:18 pm

Chris wrote:Where do you get the DCU templates from?
Is this an on-line character pic generator?

I just make them based on official art. You can get actual templates at Kryptcom, mention previously. ;)

The generator bit comes from a portrait generator I am working on which is a bit different in style. I'm probably going to do a timm-style template for the generator after the intital release.
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Off-Topic Theif III

Postby GrayPumpkin » Mon May 19, 2003 4:03 pm

Paladin Wrote:
No, no, please continue off-topic!

Tell me more about Thief 3!

Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age, check out the June 2003 issue of Computer Games for the info!

Here's the cover image:
www.cgonline.com/cgm/200306-m1.html
GrayPumpkin
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives