SuperStar's Character Artwork

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby SuperStar » Sun May 04, 2003 9:23 pm

My first character commision in a long while. Spent a little extra effort. Hope you like.

Angel of Mars

Character by Athena, artwork by me.
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Doctor Otaku » Sun May 04, 2003 9:47 pm

We like! :D Keep up the good work there!
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Angel of Mars picture

Postby Fedifensor » Sun May 04, 2003 10:49 pm

Nice city backdrop on the picture! The only thing that is a bit odd is that the building behind the character is close to the color of the night sky. It took me a moment to figure that out...and I'm still curious why the building behind her has stars on it.
Fedifensor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SuperStar » Sun May 04, 2003 11:05 pm

Thanks!

The only thing that is a bit odd is that the building behind the character is close to the color of the night sky. It took me a moment to figure that out...and I'm still curious why the building behind her has stars on it.

The mirrored surface of the building is reflecting the sky. ;)

Guess I should explain too that the double moons are due to the location: Mars.
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Storn » Mon May 05, 2003 6:37 am

Superstar, since this is the least cartoony and the most anatomy of any of your previous work, thought I would comment.

Great job on the hand and the pistol. I know from personal experience, that ain't easy.

Really nice job all over.

I think her right leg (to our left) coming forward is a bit too large, even with comic book foreshortening. But that is the minor-est (making words up again) of critiques and I can certainly live with it. My other suggestion is try to get some emotion (fear? anger? confidence?) in her face... her body language has got it, her face is a tad blank.

Hope ya don't mind the critique... I just can't help myself. Damn good overall work though. Am looking forward to seeing more.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Jester » Mon May 05, 2003 6:39 am

As usual, great stuff. Both styles are really cool. Every RPG group should have a guy like you in it :)
Jester
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby SuperStar » Mon May 05, 2003 10:13 am

Great job on the hand and the pistol. I know from personal experience, that ain't easy.

Really nice job all over.

Thanks! :green:

I think her right leg (to our left) coming forward is a bit too large, even with comic book foreshortening. But that is the minor-est (making words up again) of critiques and I can certainly live with it. My other suggestion is try to get some emotion (fear? anger? confidence?) in her face... her body language has got it, her face is a tad blank.

Actually I stand by the pose as is. ;) I was going for a similar effect to foreshortening by instead simulating a camera shot with a lower mm lens - similar to what you see in movies like the Matrix. I prefer it over actual foreshortening because you'll never see foreshortening in real life. Was just trying for more realism overall while still sticking to a comic look.

Hope ya don't mind the critique... I just can't help myself. Damn good overall work though. Am looking forward to seeing more.

Not at all! I'll try to do something with more emotion. I have been itching to do an action scene, perhaps a battle, but those can take quite awhile.

As usual, great stuff. Both styles are really cool. Every RPG group should have a guy like you in it

You say that cause you haven't seen me play yet! >:)
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jester » Mon May 05, 2003 10:15 am

Who said you would get to play...you're just there to draw pencil monkey :)
Jester
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby drbino » Mon May 05, 2003 5:05 pm

Damn everybody is a critic. This is why I'm afraid to post any of my rookie art- I'll get ripped apart. ;)
drbino
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doctor Otaku » Mon May 05, 2003 6:49 pm

drbino wrote:Damn everybody is a critic. This is why I'm afraid to post any of my rookie art- I'll get ripped apart. ;)

You'll never know until you give it a try. Heck, I'm easy to impress! :)
Doctor Otaku
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Storn » Tue May 06, 2003 4:58 am

drbino wrote:Damn everybody is a critic. This is why I'm afraid to post any of my rookie art- I'll get ripped apart. ;)

Nah. Not everyone. But I am a critic. I was the only one to critique Superstar. However, I come from an european salon type of art school, where the critiques could be really rough, but were ALWAYS meant to help the artist. Never to tear down.

I highly recommend you posting your artwork for folks to see, critiquing will build up your skin, point out areas that you might not see you need work on and above all, make you a better artist. And Hobbiest or pro, I think we all want to be better artists.

And like I said, I was the only one hear who opened his big, fat mouth and said anything. I can't help myself. I have this art instructor vibe inside of me that comes out.

Sorry to minorly hijack this thread... back to more character art!
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SuperStar » Tue May 06, 2003 7:44 am

Storn wrote:However, I come from an european salon type of art school, where the critiques could be really rough, but were ALWAYS meant to help the artist.

I loved that part! That was the best thing about art school! :Green:
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Thain » Wed May 07, 2003 10:40 am

So, not to rush you or anyhting, but where's that list o'commissions/requests? I'm wondering how long I'll be in the queue
Green Arrow: "Relax, gill. Can I call you 'gill?'"

Aquaman: "Can I stop you?"

Vist my Micro-Hero Gallery! http://thaind20.tripod.com
Thain
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby AslanC » Wed May 07, 2003 12:40 pm

I can't draw, so I am easy on those who can... unless they pop ego then they need to be taken down a notch ;)
AslanC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby drbino » Wed May 07, 2003 4:57 pm

Storn wrote:

Nah. Not everyone. But I am a critic. I was the only one to critique Superstar. However, I come from an european salon type of art school, where the critiques could be really rough, but were ALWAYS meant to help the artist. Never to tear down.

I highly recommend you posting your artwork for folks to see, critiquing will build up your skin, point out areas that you might not see you need work on and above all, make you a better artist. And Hobbiest or pro, I think we all want to be better artists.

And like I said, I was the only one hear who opened his big, fat mouth and said anything. I can't help myself. I have this art instructor vibe inside of me that comes out.

Sorry to minorly hijack this thread... back to more character art!

I don't want to hijack the thread either. I have a pic posted on page 4 of the netbook thread, a character posted by The Atomic Brain called Target. I will gladly accept criticism- just don't ruin me for life. ;)
drbino
Bystander
Bystander

Postby therealtony » Wed May 07, 2003 5:43 pm

When it comes to artwork and displaying it..If you put it out into the world be prepared for critics and critisism..If you don't want feedback keep it in your sketchbook/computer.

I have nothing but respect for any artist willing to share their work..The art may not be to my personal taste..But I respect the effort and the courage of the artist. All artists have struggles relative to their ability and desire. We know in our hearts we can do it better..A positive critique can be very powerful for an artist's technical/spiritual development..you may spend hours on a drawing and if the right eyes see it a 10 second comment from that person can increase your ability far more then just plugging away redrawing that thing again and again..

Show your work..Don't apologize, don't be scared and learn from the good ones ignore the dinks...

I wish I had space on the net and I would post my drawin's too..
therealtony
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SuperStar » Sun May 11, 2003 5:35 pm

Thought you guys might enjoy a character from a work in progress. The character is Wargod.

Artwork by me. ;)
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bwgwl » Sun May 11, 2003 5:41 pm

nice. :)

i like the stylized Mars symbol.
bwgwl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby SuperStar » Sun May 11, 2003 6:41 pm

bwgwl wrote:nice. :)

i like the stylized Mars symbol.

Thanks!

Here's the promised character request list. I will probably be starting on the top character, Moonstar, pretty soon.

http://www.raventower.com/requests/
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Doctor Otaku » Sun May 11, 2003 6:58 pm

Wargod really looks cool! I can't wait to see your treatment of Moonstar!! :D
Doctor Otaku
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Dr. Rune » Sun May 11, 2003 7:48 pm

Wargod looks awesome, Superstar......keep up the great work! Can't wait to see The Emissary :)
Dr. Rune
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MasonsDad » Sun May 11, 2003 7:49 pm

More great work SuperStar...can't wait til it's my turn!!
"Stiny, get me a danish!"
MasonsDad
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Striker » Sun May 11, 2003 8:11 pm

It looks like it came straight out of a cartoon!

You are drawing these yourself, right? :wink:
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SuperStar » Sun May 11, 2003 8:54 pm

Striker wrote:It looks like it came straight out of a cartoon!

You are drawing these yourself, right? :wink:

I hope you meant comic. :green:

Yep. Pencil, ink then color in photoshop.

This one is totally original, but the animated-style portraits (including Rebound) I used animated templates for. I am classically trained, so I actually have a harder time trying to draw the body deformed like a cartoon. :D

Here is a detail of the head:

SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Athena » Sun May 11, 2003 9:25 pm

:o Wow, this is nice SS. Any chance you are going to be drawing a Star Soldier in this style in the near future?

Just trying to get a feel for the Pbem. :green:
Athena
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives