Character Creator - progress shots

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Storn » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:22 pm

SuperStar wrote:
I dunno folks...
I'm starting to feel fairly obsolete.

Seriously though, this looks pretty cool.

Obsolete? Hell no! Custom work is always going to beat a portrait generator even if I spent an entire year developing it.

Man, I've been spending so much time on this that I haven't been able to do any pencils or ink and color the pencils I do have! ;) How do you find the time to do all the lovely work on your thread?

I really like how you integrated the ps filters seemlessly into the "modern ranger" piece!

Oh...I was kidding and forgot the smiley. But I'm impressed by this costume generator quite a bit. That's all I wanted to say.

Time? I spend 6-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week doing artwork. I can usually do one of the sketches that I put up in about 2.5 hours. I enjoy doing them, so i don't keep all that close track of the time. I find when I'm stuck doing pro work, something isn't coming out quite right, I'll take a break (or even warm up first thing in the morning) with a charcter illo...which I find easy and relaxing now.

Filters. I tend to stay away from them, but every once in awhile its fun to play around. I"m still learning on the PS front. But thanks for the comment, I was pretty happy with that one.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Tclynch9650 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:44 pm

Keep up the good work, guys.
Yeah, I dig it...a little bit.

www.geocities.com/elmo4266/cosmic.html
Tclynch9650
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby WayneLigon » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:12 am

Can't...wait..for..update...:)
WayneLigon
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Oh man!

Postby Giddoen » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:33 pm

Ok first of all let me say you ROCK!!!

I like HM too but find it very stale as I have a current group and one of the players has 4 arms and is about 9t tall when his growth kicks in! that said HM can not do the extra set of arms! and all of the heros come out looking the same or very close! will your app have multiple frames to build hero off of? Please add a 4 arm template please! :-)

Please keep us updated to when it will be ready. I for one will support it any way I can.

Giddoen
I could be nice...but wheres the fun in that!
Giddoen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby tetsujin28 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:54 pm

The $10 beta of HM2 can do extra arms, as well as other monstrous goodies. But there's only two poses (one each m and f).
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Beta testers

Postby Giddoen » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:59 pm

SuperStar wrote:Thanks for all the support! I should have some more progress shots soon.

I'll let everyone interested know when beta testing begins.

pk let me ring in as well...sign me up as a beeta tester too please!
I could be nice...but wheres the fun in that!
Giddoen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby SuperStar » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:30 pm

Thanks for the continued support!

That's awesome, Superstar. Thanks. Don't forget to include dozens and dozens of logos, both for the center chest area (like Superman) and the left chest area (like Robin's insignia I guess).

Logos are in the initial stages. I am still tring to nail down the best way to do them. I am leaning towards either a number of locations that can be turned on (head, chest, right chest, left, chest, right arm, left arm, weapon, shield, etc.) or a movable logo that can be placed as desired.

Time? I spend 6-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week doing artwork.

Man, I wish I could afford to have an art career. Why is it that, regardless of how much skill or training it requires, graphics and illustration is one of the lowest paid professions around? ;)

Can't...wait..for..update...

:D I'll try to post some more progress shots tonight. Easter really took out my schedule. Also, it seems the closer I get to finishing, the more work is required to add additional pieces. I am still tinkering with getting the bodysuits just right. Textures are coming out nicely I think.

I like HM too but find it very stale as I have a current group and one of the players has 4 arms and is about 9t tall when his growth kicks in! that said HM can not do the extra set of arms! and all of the heros come out looking the same or very close! will your app have multiple frames to build hero off of? Please add a 4 arm template please!

Hmmm...four arms. I was just thinking about the best way to handle wings and tails. Four arms would be cool - I'll try to work this in for the initial release. Frames/poses really come down to time. Once I finish the default male/female it should be a lot quicker to develop different versions of them. I would like to include at least half a dozen. However there will always be a limit to how many poses can be done. The main reason being that every accessory or option (such as faces, clothing, bodysuits, hair etc.) must be dulicated for each pose.

The $10 beta of HM2 can do extra arms, as well as other monstrous goodies. But there's only two poses (one each m and f).

Hm, does it handle clothing? In other words, if I have a character with a jacket/coat and give him four arms, does he get a four armed coat? That will be my main barrier, because I would want to include that and it would take some time. (Why just 4 for example... 3, 6, whatever... you know)
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Starlord » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:27 am

Superstar, I think there would be alot of interest garnered for your program if you posted a thread in one of the HERO Games Forums as well.

Many HERO players, including myself, used HM as well. This looks to be a massive improvement on that.

Just a suggestion.
Starlord
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doctor Otaku » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:25 pm

SuperStar, any thoughts on adding alternate and extra limbs as part of a future add-on?
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:44 am

SuperStar, just wondering if you are going to put up some progress shots of the female model soon? :D
Athena
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:45 am

W :o W! Is there any more room on that Beta bandwagon?

One more suggestion, differant facial features. Things like fangs, snouts, beaks, dog/cat ears, and the like.

Lookin' good though! Keep it up.
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SuperStar » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:29 pm

Now posted in Hero forums as well. (Though I vastly prefer M&M. Shhh...)

SuperStar, any thoughts on adding alternate and extra limbs as part of a future add-on?

I am trying to figure out the easiest/best way to do this without revising every clothing item for each variation of limbs.

SuperStar, just wondering if you are going to put up some progress shots of the female model soon?

Maybe some shots this weekend. (Of the other models.)

W W! Is there any more room on that Beta bandwagon?

Sure.

One more suggestion, differant facial features. Things like fangs, snouts, beaks, dog/cat ears, and the like.

Got some in there already. Will prob do a "furry" expansion later. Not sure yet.
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby MindsEnd » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:22 pm

I'd like in that beta also if possible. I'd have my wife draw but she's the artist type that if you suggest a change to it she won't draw for me anymore. :D
MindsEnd
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doctor Otaku » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:41 pm

BUMP!! :)
Doctor Otaku
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby jaime » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:37 am

Lemme in on that beta test please! :)
jaime
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bladesman » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:51 am

I'd like to get in on the beta testing also!
Bladesman
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby powerboy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:33 am

I'd love to beta test also!

It looks great so far.
powerboy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SuperStar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:16 am

Hi all,
My PC crashed yesterday and I am still recovering so it might be a bit on the progress shots.

Don't worry though! The project is still in motion.
SS

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Doctor Otaku » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:13 pm

Good to hear that you recovered. I think most are patient and can wait. Dunno about myself though. ;)
Doctor Otaku
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Beta Tester Application

Postby dorin4justice » Fri May 02, 2003 11:41 am

Hi, is it too late to sign on as a beta tester? I've got a few years' worth of experience putting software through the wringer, as I regularly beta test new versions of Microsoft Office for the Fine Folks in Redmond. If you're looking for someone who will spot the best-hidden problems, and even offer a few suggestions along the way, I'd be more than happy to assist. Did I mention I'm a huge fan of DC's new Justice League cartoon? :)
dorin4justice
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Stonemaus » Fri May 02, 2003 12:13 pm

Beta me! This looks like an amazing tool! Great work -- I am very impressed.

Stone
Stonemaus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ash_kamini » Fri May 02, 2003 1:15 pm

Any more room on the beta bandwagon?
-Chris
ash_kamini
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Doctor Otaku » Sun May 04, 2003 9:57 pm

El BUMP-o! ;)

And with this post, I now join the illustrious ranks of the Fanatics. :green:
Last edited by Doctor Otaku on Mon May 05, 2003 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Otaku
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Psychotic Dreamer » Sun May 04, 2003 10:13 pm

Once you get everything back together again I would love to become involved in the beta testing if there is still room. Currently I will spend usually an hour or two aday playing around with the HeroMachine 2 beta. THis one looks like it could easily suck up more of my free time. :)
Mike Bentley
bentleyml@taconic.net
AIM: bentleyml
Psychotic Dreamer
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Knighthawk » Wed May 07, 2003 12:30 pm

How is the recovery coming along?
Knighthawk
Cohort
Cohort

PreviousNext