GURPS - Can It Help?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Kid Vorpal » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:04 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this one yet or not, but GURPS Bio-Tech is a good one for those futuristic and/or gadgeteer/scientist characters who like to have their toys internal (and biological) as opposed to mechanical in nature. It could also be used for any character who has powers stemming from genetic modification or engineering.
One shot, one kill; two shots, sure thing.
Kid Vorpal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby corwyn » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:40 pm

Kid Vorpal wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this one yet or not, but GURPS Bio-Tech is a good one for those futuristic and/or gadgeteer/scientist characters who like to have their toys internal (and biological) as opposed to mechanical in nature. It could also be used for any character who has powers stemming from genetic modification or engineering.

I meant to mention earlier that I would reccommend any of the Tech books - David Pulver is one of my all time game writers.
corwyn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: GURPS - Can It Help?

Postby Witchblade » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:25 pm

SmokestackJones wrote:That said, I'd like to find out if anyone's using GURPS supplements for M&M (yes, even GURPS Supers)?

As a GURPS junkie, I find that GURPS is actually more useful outside of it's own system than within. Don't read that wrong. I love GURPS. When I'm in the mood for some ultra-realistic gaming, GURPS is the first system I reach for. I have over 108 GURPS worldbooks and I'm always collecting others. However...

...I find that GURPS is imminently more useful when I'm using the worldbooks as reference material for other games. Several of the historical worldbooks, which I might never use in a GURPS game, have proved invaluable in the design of my homebrewed D&D world. For Mutants & Masterminds, theres a lot of good reference material to be found in Supers (and Supertemps and Superscum, if you're lucky enough to get your hands on them), Space (if your campaign takes you in this direction; I also own all four of the Space Atlas series), Cops (has some great info on police forces), Dinosaurs (every campaign needs the occasional dinosaur running amok), Monsters (chock-full of nasty-bad things that can menace the heroes), Robots (some really good design ideas in there), Ultra-Tech and Utra-Tech 2 (every master villain should have access to these books), Undead (tell me that you can't find a use for this in your campaign, and I'll question your ability to GM), and Time Travel (a staple of the super-hero genre).
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Witchblade » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:35 pm

Voneth wrote:It was published as sourcebook for Rifts and Heroes Unlimited. It was designated as Rifts Dimension book 4 and was printed back in 1998 (oh my God.)

You can probably find it in the bargin bin, though.

One of, along with Rifts Underseas, the few useful things to come from Palladium. Alright, I can't say that. It's just that I've never quite forgiven KS for giving me a simply brilliant setting and the absolute worst system ever devised! Actually, I have a few Palladium materials. Until I actually played a few games and realized just how bad the mechanics were, I bought into several of the supplements. If they were ever to let go their pride and produce a Rifts d20, they just might welcome me back into the fold.

Anywho, I find Scraypers to be pretty useful. I use Heroes Unlimited strictly to usurp ideas for neat powers, but Aliens Unlimited actually sees a good bit of use (space travel figures into my campaign a lot).
John Grigsby
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby bushido11 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:19 am

For Rifts d20, you can actually find such documents in Kazaa (you'll need the core rulebooks for them, though). They have information on classes, races, mutations, prestige classes, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Or you can simply use M&M.
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Witchblade » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:51 am

bushido11 wrote:For Rifts d20, you can actually find such documents in Kazaa (you'll need the core rulebooks for them, though). They have information on classes, races, mutations, prestige classes, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Or you can simply use M&M.

I know, or I can make up my own stuff (I have for Nightbane), but the point is that I want to see something official from Palladium (which simply won't happen).
John Grigsby
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:38 pm

Gurps benchmarks also compare well for 'normal' stats of 1 to 20...

Mine's A Moscow Mule

:green:
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

MnM and Cyberworld

Postby Argos » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:28 am

I'm actually converting my GURPS Cyberworld/Supers game over to MnM, with the first session later this month.

The setting is extremely rich and one of the best SJ Games has published.

I don't have an issue with GURPS by itself, but GURPS Supers needs to be used in the way it was meant to be used - lower powered, extremely gritty and realistic settings. I wouldn't recommend anything above 250 points...after that, unless you really restrict things, the system for Supers breaks down. Just try a 1000 point Supers game...you either end up with PCs that can't be touched, or PC's that are awesome but taken out by a single hit. And the cinematic nature of Supers combat, even "realistic" Supers combat, is lost somewhere along the way.
Argos Xanth
Argos
Bystander
Bystander

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives