GURPS - Can It Help?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

GURPS - Can It Help?

Postby SmokestackJones » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:18 pm

Hey there,

Okay, a few facts:

FACT: It is the consensus of the game world that most players/GMs hate GURPS Supers.

FACT: It is the consensus of the game world that, while the game may leave something to be desired, GURPS supplements are probably the best written and researched reference books on the market.

That said, I'd like to find out if anyone's using GURPS supplements for M&M (yes, even GURPS Supers)?

For instance, I mentioned in IRC last night that I'm reading GURPS Steampunk to use with The Mechromancer, my master villain. I may pick up GURPS Cliffhangers for a possible "lost world" adventure with a super-team (a la Savage Land).

So, what other GURPS books are useful for M&M, and how are you using them?

-Smokestack Jones
Excelsior!
Maker of the Sampo!
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bushido11 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:47 pm

Hmm, I never thought of that. I never really did pick up much of the GURPS books, as there were so many of them, but that might be a good investment right there for information (except GURPS Fantasy; that was one lame book).
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrfusion » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:52 pm

My Pulp campaign is doing a little time travel now, so I plan on using Ancient Egypt, Alternate Earths 1&2, and maybe Steampunk.

I'd really like to use Hellboy as a basis for a M&M campaign, but my players are still liking the Pulp stuff, so it may be awhile...
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Scripty » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:56 pm

Actually, I just purchased GURPS Cabal and GURPS Steampunk for the expressed purpose of using it with M&M, Unknown Armies or Over the Edge. I am also using Palladium books like Mystic China, Ninjas and Superspies and the Nightbane books as source material for Mutants & Masterminds games, not to mention my D&D Players Handbook, my Diablo II: To Hell and Back, and Everquest Player's Handbook to power my Spellcraft and Kung Fu powers (both powers listed elsewhere on this forum). I'm also using my Monster Manuals for a few adversaries.
Scripty
Cohort
Cohort

Postby bwgwl » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:03 pm

as Mr. Fusion mentions, the GURPS Alternate Earths books would be cool for those staple dimension-hopping supers stories. while we're on the subject, GURPS Time Travel has amazing non-system-specific material on the theory and practice of time travel and alternate dimensions. good stuff.

GURPS Warehouse 23 could provide a supers campaign with a plethora of bizarre magical artifacts and weird science gizmos (as well as a place to store them all! :wink: )

i don't have it, but GURPS Atlantis might make a good reference for those undersea kingdoms that always seem to crop up in comic books.

again re-iterating Mr. Fusion, many of the GURPS historical books would be good for lost civilizations or time travel stories: Arabian Nights, Imperial Rome, Aztecs, Vikings, Camelot, Dinosaurs, Egypt, Greece, Celtic Myth.

the GURPS World War II line has a lot of background info that could be used in a grittily-realistic WWII supers game.

GURPS Atomic Horror covers the cheesy monster movies of the '50s and could be a good source of inspiration for bizarre monsters and wacky alien invaders.

GURPS Ultra-Tech 1 + 2 and Biotech could provide inspiration for gadgeteer characters.

although i don't play GURPS anymore, i'm still something of a GURPS junkie when it comes to collecting sourcebooks. of those i've listed above, the only one i don't own is GURPS Atlantis. (at last count i had between 65-70 GURPS books...)
bwgwl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

GURPS d20

Postby ProngDong » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:09 pm

We are not using any GURPS supplements with MnM, but I am going to use the d20 rules with GURPS supplements in future games. I like the simplified combat system and the expanded list of charateristics (GURPS has to few with all skills based on either Dex or Int- d20 needs skills to be based on any of the six characteristics, which is great!)

I am working on a GURPS d20 hybrid right now. I have completed the point buy system so a 100-point GURPS d20 character matches his GURPS 100-point counterpart. I am converting several Feats into Advantages and modifying GURPS advantages to work in the d20 system. I have also made a list of which d20 characteristcs are used to buy each GURPS skill. Also, I've added a Fright Save and am converting the rules for failed fright checks.

The fact of the matter is that it seems to work very well. A +1 increment in each system is equal to roughly +5% so most things transfer evenly. For instance, a d20 skill modifier of +0 is equivalent to a GURPS skill of 10. This allowed th skill buying system from GURPS is almost unchanged, except for which attribute it defaults to.

I hope to run a test adventure soon, probably a dark conspiracy sort of thing that requires a lot of skills. I feel that it will work well, giving me a system with a lot of depth in character creation (GURPS) with a fast, easy to use system (d20).
ProngDong is a pastry from Hong Kong.
ProngDong
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Paladin » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:01 pm

You simply have to use Illuminati. Fnord.

That said, I bet Ken Hite's Suppressed Transmission books, while not GURPS but still published by SJGames, have plenty of potential for weirdness, villain backgrounds, adventure seeds, you name it.

After buying MnM, I got GURPS Supers on eBay, and while I agree that the rules are simply not for the genre, the universe and background are top-notch. I'm adapting that cool vampire cop for a campaign I plan to run on Lisbon, and I've even battled Mount Fuji last adventure. :)
Paladin
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby The Human Pest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:04 pm

GURPS also had a pretty good sourcebook for Wild Cards. My campaign won't be going in that direction, but I'd recommend it for anyone who does want to try that.
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:11 pm

While I hardly ever play GURPS anymore, I still pick up GURPS books to use as source material. GURPS Mars came in useful for a Mekton Zeta campaign, and GURPS Japan helped me add flavor to a samurai I played.
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Lord_Anthrax » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:43 pm

And yes, even GURPS IST can be of use for ideas on doing a game world where superhumans do have an influence on society. Not to mention a few GURPS villains and organizations can be of use(I've used the Nimba Cult already, will be adding in TRADE, and the nasty of nasties, the Blue Demon, will be making his debut very soon! >:))
Regards,

The Lord Anthrax
Lord_Anthrax
Devotee
Devotee

Postby MasonsDad » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:24 pm

I am all over the Gurps: Cliffhangers and Gurps: Hellboy books. We are running a 1930's Pulp Campaign and they are both invaluable resources. I hate Gurps, but I am glad I know enough about the system to use the sourcebooks. They rock.
"Stiny, get me a danish!"
MasonsDad
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Voneth » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:29 pm

Scripty wrote:I am also using Palladium books like Mystic China, Ninjas and Superspies and the Nightbane books as source material for Mutants & Masterminds games

I am currently using Palladium's Scraypers setting, which is a supers setting on a science fiction world that is being occupied by a war-like alien race. I tweaked it a little to make it possible to do "average" adventures as well as the overarcing story line of alien invasion.

I basiclly just said that when the aliens catch a super villian, they confiscate all the stuff he has stolen. So if the PCs don't catch the super villian before the authorities arrive, the vicitms will never get their stuff back.
Voneth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: GURPS - Can It Help?

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:10 am

SmokestackJones wrote:Hey there,

Okay, a few facts:

FACT: It is the consensus of the game world that most players/GMs hate GURPS Supers.

That said, I'd like to find out if anyone's using GURPS supplements for M&M (yes, even GURPS Supers)?

-Smokestack Jones
Excelsior!
Maker of the Sampo!

Concerning your first fact about GURPS, lets agree to disagree:) For a long time, GURPS has been my favorite game system and I refuse to completely abandon it for the D20 phenomon(spl). I have only recently put Gurps aside due to my enjoyment of Spycraft, Traveller D20 and now M&M.

As for GURPS books that can be used for D20, Time Travel and UltratTech
are a excellent. as well as the SH genre based books;

Wild Cards
IST (International Super Teams)
Super Scum (A villain book)
Super Temps (Rent-a-Heroes:))
Mixed Doubles (Great book IMO)

Super Mudules
School of Hard Knocks
Death Wish
Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby SmokestackJones » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:21 am

Kenpo Wolf wrote:Concerning your first fact about GURPS, lets agree to disagree:) For a long time, GURPS has been my favorite game system and I refuse to completely abandon it for the D20 phenomon(spl). I have only recently put Gurps aside due to my enjoyment of Spycraft, Traveller D20 and now M&M.

Wild Cards

Super Mudules
School of Hard Knocks
Death Wish

Hey Kenpo,

Okay, we can disagree if you want, but remember I said most players/GMs hate GURPS Supers. As for GURPS itself, I think its a fine, workable system with some innovations (like the Magic syatem in GURPS Magic) that I really like. I prefer HERO, D20 and M&M myself, but I've played/GMed my share of GURPS games and had a great time. But sofar, I have not met one gamer that likes GURPS Supers (including me). It just feels too jury-rigged to a system that was set up to handle something a bit more realistic.

Anyway, thanks for the GURPS suggestions. After Freedom City, I'll probably be looking into Super Scum if I can find a copy. I'm also looking for GURPS Cliffhangers. That ought to help with my upcoming FK campaign.

-Smokestck Jones
Maker of the Sampo!
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby ProngDong » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:36 am

Kenpo Wolf wrote:I have only recently put Gurps aside due to my enjoyment of Spycraft, Traveller D20 and now M&M.

I like T20, it is a really well written book, but I don't like the level based character creation. I thing GURPS Traveller rocks! If I run a new Traveller game it will either be GURPS using the new material or a point buy system for d20.

BTW: T20 is one of the biggest books I have seen in a while. Writers did a good job!
ProngDong is a pastry from Hong Kong.
ProngDong
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Scripty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:00 am

Voneth wrote:I am currently using Palladium's Scraypers setting...

That sounds like a very interesting game. I'm not familiar with Scraypers, but I will definitely give it a look. Thanks.
Scripty
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Voneth » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:06 pm

Scripty wrote:
Voneth wrote:I am currently using Palladium's Scraypers setting...

That sounds like a very interesting game. I'm not familiar with Scraypers, but I will definitely give it a look. Thanks.

It was published as sourcebook for Rifts and Heroes Unlimited. It was designated as Rifts Dimension book 4 and was printed back in 1998 (oh my God.)

http://store.palladiumbooks.com/Merchan ... _Code=D800

You can probably find it in the bargin bin, though.

Speaking of their dimension books, Wormwood was pretty cool and twisted. However it's probably best run as it's own setting. Funny enough, if I had to play in a Rifts game, the PC classes I'd want to play would come from this book.

Sort of like GURPS, even if you don't like the game system, there is cool stuff to steal. Whereas GURPS has a lot of historical stuff, Palladium has a lot of imaginative stuff. Even their one shot games, like Mechinoids and System Failure are cool as fun Grade B movie one shots.
Voneth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby tetsujin28 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:20 pm

GURPS books are like crack -- you always want more. Steampunk and Cabal have already been mentioned, so I'll put in my 2 cents for Spirits and Monsters.
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nuadha » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:58 pm

GURPS: Creatures of the Night is a friggin' amazing book of horror monsters/creatures. I've used creatures from that book in a GURPS:Fantasy game, a GURPS: Star Trek game (My own conversions, set in the next generation period), Vampire:TM, Changeling: TD, Amber Diceless, and Bloodshadows (a Masterbook game by West End). They would make a good fit in a darker MnM game or one heavily occult oriented.

GURPS: Wild Cards has write-ups of a lot of the characters from the Wild Cards novels that could be put in a regular games or used to run a MnM game in the Wild Cards setting.

GURPS: Supporting Cast is a book of non-heroic NPCs like Bartenders, Taxi Drivers, etc with backgrounds and some great adventure seeds. There is a whole section of Modern Day characters as well as tips on how to adapt other characters to other settings.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby corwyn » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:09 pm

tetsujin28 wrote:GURPS books are like crack -- you always want more. Steampunk and Cabal have already been mentioned, so I'll put in my 2 cents for Spirits and Monsters.

Agree 100%. I'll add my vote for Horror.

I just recently added to my library for an upcoming modern conspiracy/horror game : Horror, Monsters, and Cabal to go alongside Creatures of the Night, Cthulhupunk, Psionics, Voodoo, Spirits, Illuminati and Warehouse 23 and even a little bit of WWII:Weird War.

Anything by Kenneth Hite is golden. I'd be picking up Suppressed Transmission if I didn't already have them printed.
corwyn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby corwyn » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:19 pm

SmokestackJones wrote:
Kenpo Wolf wrote:Concerning your first fact about GURPS, lets agree to disagree:) For a long time, GURPS has been my favorite game system and I refuse to completely abandon it for the D20 phenomon(spl). I have only recently put Gurps aside due to my enjoyment of Spycraft, Traveller D20 and now M&M.

Wild Cards

Super Mudules
School of Hard Knocks
Death Wish

Hey Kenpo,

Okay, we can disagree if you want, but remember I said most players/GMs hate GURPS Supers. As for GURPS itself, I think its a fine, workable system with some innovations (like the Magic syatem in GURPS Magic) that I really like. I prefer HERO, D20 and M&M myself, but I've played/GMed my share of GURPS games and had a great time. But sofar, I have not met one gamer that likes GURPS Supers (including me). It just feels too jury-rigged to a system that was set up to handle something a bit more realistic.

Anyway, thanks for the GURPS suggestions. After Freedom City, I'll probably be looking into Super Scum if I can find a copy. I'm also looking for GURPS Cliffhangers. That ought to help with my upcoming FK campaign.

-Smokestck Jones
Maker of the Sampo!

Super Scum is still one of my favourite villain books. At the time it had the most detailed write-ups I had seen with weaker and stronger variants for every one.

As for Supers, I agree. Great supplements, pretty awful mechanics, possibly the worst balanced supers game I've personally run, anyway. And I'm not a GURPS hater. Still my favourite - and largest collection, in triple digits now - non-supers system. I ran a 4-colour game for a session and a half, then a street game which went better, mainly because of the lack of big powers.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the mechanics for Black Ops, but for Supers...
corwyn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby palehorse » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:26 pm

I am the proud owner of 1, count 'em 1, GURPS book, but its a good one...

GURPS: The Prisoner.

HUGE Prisoner fan here... not to mention I have the same birthday as Patrick McGoohan.

(That's birthday, not birth date... I'm old but I ain't THAT old!)
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby mgg » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:38 pm

Sorry if someone already mentioned these, I only skimmed the above.

GURPS: Alternate Earths is a great resource for your dimension hopping campaigns.

Also:

GURPS: Atomic Horror, of course!

GURPS: Psionics for ideas on running psionic games.

GURPS: Martial arts to add color to your martial artists.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby SmokestackJones » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:43 pm

palehorse wrote:I am the proud owner of 1, count 'em 1, GURPS book, but its a good one...

GURPS: The Prisoner.

HUGE Prisoner fan here... not to mention I have the same birthday as Patrick McGoohan.

(That's birthday, not birth date... I'm old but I ain't THAT old!)

Hey palehorse,

I'm envious that you still have your copy. I had that one autographed by the author, lost to the mists of time (and moving)...

-SJ
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby AaronUnicorn » Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:58 am

I've just recently fallen in love with GURPS: Spirits (written by Steve Kenson!), and my current GURPS "Pulp" hero is Dr. Occult, built using those rules.

It's been fun, with basically the GMs telling me "Ok, make your roll, and tell me what happens." since I'm the only one who knows Spirits well enough. Fortunately, I've GM'd enough to keep freakiness to the weird side, and my version of Occult won't do any obvious magic in front of any of the other PCs (except one).

But I've seriously considered mining Spirits for weird things to throw at my Shaman player.
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Next

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives