Errata questions - post em here

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby mgg » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:20 pm

Obviously, if you aren't able to assign a size, the size is medium.

I suppose you could institute a rule where you sacrafice levels of alternate form for size.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Moleculon » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:30 pm

mgg wrote:Obviously, if you aren't able to assign a size, the size is medium.

I suppose you could institute a rule where you sacrafice levels of alternate form for size.

If you do this there is a problem with Animate Liquids: if it has no hardness, it has no strength, as strength bonus equals hardness, so it deals no damage, can´t lift anything etc. An "Air Elemental" has another attack power: Suffocate, but Liquids don´t have this. According to the normal rules you can´t add strength with the remaining points, because "leftover animation ranks may be assigned to give the object bonuses to Dexterity, Wisdom or Charisma, attack bonus, Defense bonus, or skill ranks."
Another problem with "No strength Air & Water Elemental": it can´t move ! (see page 25 under "nonexistent ability scores: strength", or do you say that a water elemental has no physical body? (the only other option for "no strength")), even if you say it has a strength of zero, and not "no strength" then it can´t move either ! (see "low ability scores" on same page). Even animated shadows have strength, so the animated liquids and gasses should have too.
Moleculon
Bystander
Bystander

Secondary Effect Clarification Needed Please?

Postby archangel » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:47 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK people I need someone (hopefully even a designer) and tell me if I got this right.

Example: Energy control Light...you already have a attack effect built in...DAZZLE...now if I also take Energy Blast and/or Energy Field....which are both attack effects also..... are they both extras or are they Power Stunts ...and why?

Thanks!
archangel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:43 am

Moleculon wrote:
mgg wrote:Obviously, if you aren't able to assign a size, the size is medium.

If you do this there is a problem with Animate Liquids: if it has no hardness, it has no strength, as strength bonus equals hardness, so it deals no damage, can´t lift anything etc. An "Air Elemental" has another attack power: Suffocate, but Liquids don´t have this. According to the normal rules you can´t add strength with the remaining points, because "leftover animation ranks may be assigned to give the object bonuses to Dexterity, Wisdom or Charisma, attack bonus, Defense bonus, or skill ranks."
Another problem with "No strength Air & Water Elemental": it can´t move ! (see page 25 under "nonexistent ability scores: strength", or do you say that a water elemental has no physical body? (the only other option for "no strength")), even if you say it has a strength of zero, and not "no strength" then it can´t move either ! (see "low ability scores" on same page). Even animated shadows have strength, so the animated liquids and gasses should have too.

Hardness provides a strength bonus, not a strength score. A strength bonus of 0 gives the animated thing a strength of 10. It would need a strength bonus of -5 before it had a strength of 1.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby BotD » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:41 pm

Under the weapon power it has a power stunt that lets you choose another attack for your weapon. 2 of the available attacks are actually powers, so how does this work? This seems awfully powerful.
BotD
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:45 pm

BotD wrote:Under the weapon power it has a power stunt that lets you choose another attack for your weapon. 2 of the available attacks are actually powers, so how does this work? This seems awfully powerful.

It's a function of the game mechanics. Since Weapon is, at its core, an attack power, other attack powers can be added as power stunts, allowing you to attack in different ways.

Thus you can have, say, a high-tech quarterstaff that also has an built-in energy blaster.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby BotD » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:36 pm

Inazuma wrote:
BotD wrote:Under the weapon power it has a power stunt that lets you choose another attack for your weapon. 2 of the available attacks are actually powers, so how does this work? This seems awfully powerful.

It's a function of the game mechanics. Since Weapon is, at its core, an attack power, other attack powers can be added as power stunts, allowing you to attack in different ways.

Thus you can have, say, a high-tech quarterstaff that also has an built-in energy blaster.

Thanks for the answer, but it still irks me. I can have a weapon that in addition to attacking, can blast energy, stun, snare and fatigue all for 8 points? I mean i could see if they were extras, but as a flat 2 point cost to duplicate other powers, it sounds unbalanced.

I have 2 more questions also. In the blink extra for teleport, do you have to use an extra to activate it. I am assuming yes on the basis that all extras and power stunts follow their base power. Also can you take extra and power stunts on powers you gain from extras of another power?

Edit: 1 last question. If I wanted to fight with 2 weapons would I need 2 seperates weapon powers?
BotD
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Calum » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:23 pm

Sorry if I missed this one, but: Force Field (sustained) with the (free) extra of damaging costs 1pp/rank or 2pp/rank (I'm still unclear on the official answer on that one); but: Energy Field (sustained) with the Protection extra will cost 3pp/rank; both combinations end up doing exactly the same thing, why is one configuration cheaper by 1pp or 2pp/rank? I understand that Protection is Continuous, but the book states "your Energy Field provides you with Protection..." , so if your (sustained) Field goes down you lose the benefit of Protection effectively giving that power a duration of Sustained.
Calum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wulf » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:23 am

BotD wrote: Thanks for the answer, but it still irks me. I can have a weapon that in addition to attacking, can blast energy, stun, snare and fatigue all for 8 points? I mean i could see if they were extras, but as a flat 2 point cost to duplicate other powers, it sounds unbalanced.

No, you still have only ONE attack at a time. So you can have a physical, energy, stun, snare OR fatigue attack. Which you use can change from one round to the next. You've paid for ONE attack, and a basic effect, but 4 additional 'special effects'. Since you can only use one at a time, there's no need to pay for more than one. That's why you can buy them as stunts. If you wanted to use more than one at a time, or if some of the effects weren't 'attacks', you would have to buy them as extras.
I have 2 more questions also. In the blink extra for teleport, do you have to use an extra to activate it. I am assuming yes on the basis that all extras and power stunts follow their base power.

Not sure what you're asking here. Blink is an extra on Teleport. Therefore it adds to your teleport ability (as opposed to a stunt, which would replace it with a similar power). What do you mean by 'activate'?
Also can you take extra and power stunts on powers you gain from extras of another power?

Yes, but be careful about costs. There are examples of how complicated this can get around from those more number-crunchy than me...
Edit: 1 last question. If I wanted to fight with 2 weapons would I need 2 seperates weapon powers?

Well, you could take the second weapon as an extra of the first (extras can be used simultaneously with the base power). However, if someone stole, negated, drained, etc. your weapon, they would get both at once, unless you bought them separately. That wouldn't make much sense, so I'd always insist that separate weapons be separate powers.

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives