Marvel M&M Racial Packages (Updated 28.7.03)

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Marvel M&M Racial Packages (Updated 28.7.03)

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:43 pm

Hiya folks

Just uploaded a PDF to my site http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html basically it is an 8 page PDf of race packages covering the 12 most common species in the Marvel Universe, namely Asgardians, Olympians, Skrull, Kree, Atlanteans, Lemurians, Shi'ar, New Men, Denizens of the Dark Dimension, Inhumans, Deviants and Eternals.

all you do is choose your species, pay the package cost out of your points available and recieve all the listed bonuses for that species, leaving the remainder of your points to customise your hero! simple.
Last edited by Neo on Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark "Neo" Howe

"Et Semel Emissum Volat Irevocabile Verbum"
http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html
Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Sulimo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:11 pm

Nicely done.
Sulimo
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:38 pm

Sulimo wrote:Nicely done.

I should have the Heliopolans, The Neo, Morlocks, The Sun People, The Fall People, the Pterans and one or two others up some time next week also.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Strand0 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:00 pm

Neo wrote:I should have the Heliopolans, The Neo, Morlocks, The Sun People, The Fall People, the Pterans and one or two others up some time next week also.
Wow! 8)
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Wolverine-X » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:51 pm

Neo,

This is AWESOME!!! Well Done. :D
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:01 pm

Wolverine-X wrote:Neo,

This is AWESOME!!! Well Done. :D

Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby tsadkiel » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:35 pm

I shall pick a nit. Why do Asgardians get Armor instead of Protection or Amazing save: Damage?
tsadkiel
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Strand0 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:42 pm

tsadkiel wrote:I shall pick a nit. Why do Asgardians get Armor instead of Protection or Amazing save: Damage?
They always seem to be wearing armor. :)
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:51 pm

Strand0 wrote:
tsadkiel wrote:I shall pick a nit. Why do Asgardians get Armor instead of Protection or Amazing save: Damage?
They always seem to be wearing armor. :)

that really is the reason, asgardians aren;t phyiscally tougher than humans, but the materials they make armour from are.. hence the Armor not protection power :)
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Opinions on that vary

Postby Strict31 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:56 pm

I guess it all depends on the source material. I've seen Asgardians portrayed as substantially tougher naturally than even folks like the New Mutants. That is to say, they're tougher than humans even when not wearing armor. At least, that's what I've seen of them. Your experience may differ.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:57 pm

Well i've been working on the other additions to go with this PDF tonight while my free time lasts and its currently at 15 pages and I'm nowhere near done yet <lol> the latest version isn;t available yet, but I have so far added the following: Badoon, The Brood, Z'Nox, Alpha Primitives, and Heliopolans.

I even worked out the Watchers for curiosities sake and to see what uber races come out like from the Marvel Universe, Watchers are well off the 20 level scale coming in at around 500+ PP's <lol>

Yet to go in are the following: Aerians, Fall People, Pterans, Sun People, Man apes, Lemurans, Tree People, Swamp People, Zebra People, Lava men, Moloids, Tyranoids, The Neo, Vampires and Werewolves
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Opinions on that vary

Postby Neo » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:01 am

Strict31 wrote:I guess it all depends on the source material. I've seen Asgardians portrayed as substantially tougher naturally than even folks like the New Mutants. That is to say, they're tougher than humans even when not wearing armor. At least, that's what I've seen of them. Your experience may differ.

Strictly Speaking

Sorry, let me word that better, they are not tougher than humans in the respects of thier skin, which pierces just as easily as ours... however Asgardians are substantially healthier and Stronger than us amongst other things, but these are reflected in thier statistic bonuses in the Race package for them.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:17 pm

Hiya Folks

Okay the final line up should include the following:-
Asgardians
Atlantean
Denizens of the Dark Dimension
Deviants
Eternals
Inhumans
Kree
Lemurians
New Men (includes 8 animal types)
Olympians
Shi'ar
Skrull
Badoon
The Brood
Z'Nox
Alpha Primitives
Heliopolans
Aerians (Savage Land Race)
Fall People (Savage Land Race)
Pterons (Savage Land Race)
Sun People (Savage Land Race)
Man Apes (Savage Land Race)
Lemurans (Savage Land Race)
Watchers (though note these are the only ones off the 20 level scale to begin with :o )
Tree People (Savage Land Race)
Swamp People (Savage Land Race)
Zebra People (Savage Land Race)
Lava Men (Subterraneans)
Moloids (Subterraneans)
Tyrannoids (Subterraneans)
Galadorans (Includes Plandanium Spaceknight Armor)

PLUS THE FOLLOWING THAT ARE STILL BEING ADDED:-
Dire Wraiths (Includes Deathwing, Hellhound and Hybrid)
Vampires
Werewolves
The Neo

I'll let you all know once the final file goes up on my site
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:07 pm

Hiya folks

The latest file is now available over on my site. It is now a zipped 28 page PDF (1.4 MB) and contains 35 Species packages for Marvel, as well as 4 new powers (Spaceknight, Vampirism, Daywalker and Lycanthrope) and three new Feats!

Only species off my list not included was the Neo, but I will be doing a separate PDF for them some time soon :)

Enjoy!
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:38 pm

If anyone just tried to download and found they couldn't fear not the file is there now, I spotted an error in one of the species I needed to fix, but all done now :)

So its their waiting for you and its FREE!
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:38 pm

As some of you may have noticed by now Vampires and Lycanthropes ended up as powers and not Species packages.

Just to expalin the reasoning for this, with these I felt that they as things which could be contracted/passed on needed to be something which could be applied to any species and having them as a power allowed me to do that.

just thought I'd explain :)
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Flying Scot » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:36 am

Shouldn't some of the races, such as Olympians and Asgardians, have Super characteristics even for "non-heroic" characters?

I've vague memories of an old New Mutants in Asgard comic where Sunspot in his unpowered form was getting picked on by barmaids. The same barmaids could easily pick up heavy tables that he struggled to even move.
Flying Scot
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:46 am

Flying Scot wrote:Shouldn't some of the races, such as Olympians and Asgardians, have Super characteristics even for "non-heroic" characters?

I've vague memories of an old New Mutants in Asgard comic where Sunspot in his unpowered form was getting picked on by barmaids. The same barmaids could easily pick up heavy tables that he struggled to even move.

Except for the Watchers and the Dire Wraith Hybrid I didn't apply any Super statistics, I did this intentionally I wanted to provide the springboard for these characters, providing thier statistical inclinations, without forcing someone to have to use all thier points in just fitting a single mould. As a result those who are very strong have high strength (Atlanteans, say who have a 16 Str), but do not have Super Strength, in this way if the player choosing such a character decides to play a member of that species who is super strong they are going to benefit more from a Super Strength than a normal human say who only has a 10 strength.

I think Physical and Mental statistics vary enough between individuals for this to make more sense (some work out, some don't, some study, some don't etc..) you have a good incentive to take a super stat by these racial packages but your hand isn't forced.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Sketchpad » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:41 pm

Looks good ... though I have a few questions/comments:

The powers seem a bit pricey, don't you think? Maybe scale them down a bit and leave the extras for other things? I know that I made a racial template for Vamps and I just used Drain (Con) ...

Daywalker ... I always saw it as a feat, not a power ... any reason why a power?
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:18 pm

Sketchpad wrote:Looks good ... though I have a few questions/comments:

The powers seem a bit pricey, don't you think? Maybe scale them down a bit and leave the extras for other things? I know that I made a racial template for Vamps and I just used Drain (Con) ...

Daywalker ... I always saw it as a feat, not a power ... any reason why a power?

The powers are pricey..but as the saying goes you get what you pay for :) and you do get quite a bit for the PP cost. The cost is also worked out as per the M&M rules for creating powers so takes into account all factors that were used in the selection and modification of the individual effects/extras/flaw etc.. included in each. I got the PP cost as low as I could without losing the theme of what the power was creating. If you didn't have to include the cost of extra in the base power cost when making powers they would cost a lot less.
But Vampies needed to have the fact that they are hardier and stronger, they can drain your blood etc... the basic Vampire power with no extras is Buffy type vampies, the extras typically allow you to create more Hammer House of Horror Dracula types and Masquerade types.

Daywalker was a power because it was something that you become, or had done to you it wasn't something you learned or just picked up. Feats are almost always expertise, technique, proficiency or knowledge and Daywalker didn;t fall into any of those categories IMO.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:50 pm

Effectively a *Bump* just so those who are checking the forums at work on Monday for the first time since last week can see that the finished Racial Files was released.

28 pages
35 race types
3 new feats
4 new powers
All FREE

Sites URL is in the sig. below
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Wed May 14, 2003 7:08 pm

Bump fro the noobs to the list again.

though the new powers in this will get an update at some point as thier costing is off.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Vampirism Power Updated.

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:33 pm

Hiya folks below is the correctly updated Vampirism power with the correct PP cost per rank included. (Updated Daywalker and Lycanthropy to follow).

VAMPIRISM (Traditional Hammer Horror type, Blade and buffyesque)
Cost: 14
Action: None
Range: Personal
Duration: Permanent
Those inflicted with Vampirism, which is a form of blood disease effectively die, but continue to exist as undead beings, ageless and driven by the need for plasma (blood) in order to stave off the Hunger they feel. Those inflicted with Vampirism are capable of many amazing abilities. Super Strength (p. 86) and Super Constitution (p. 85) have all aspects of those attributes raised for each rank in Vampirism. In addition the Vampires form is extremely resilient Amazing save – Damage (p. 61). The Vampires have extended canines with which they bite into the necks of their victims and drain their blood as per Drain – Con (p. 66) anyone reduced to zero Constitution must make a Fortitude save (DC10+ Vampirism power rank) or be turned into a vampire themselves gaining the power at +1 rank (the character loses points from other areas to make up for the cost of this power, points come off Skills, powers and then statistics in that order. This represents that knowledge lost in death and the transformation). All Vampires heal amazingly quickly even back from death, re-growing limbs and so forth as per Regeneration (p. 80) however they cannot regenerate any damage inflicted by Blessed or Holy items, which leads us to the Vampires Weaknesses. A Vampire who does not feed once per day must make a Will save (DC20) each and every hour there after until he does feed (DC increases +1 per additional hour) or he goes Berserk (p. 106), additionally whenever the Vampire is exposed to the source of his hunger (almost always blood) they must also make a Will save (DC 20) or go Berserk then also. Vampires are also extremely susceptible to Natural Daylight and blessed/Holy things (p. 107). All vampires are also Vulnerable to a stake through the heart (or pretty much any wooden item through the heart), which can occur anytime the character is struck by a Critical hit with a wooden item, this is in fact the only way to truly slay a vampire and causes them to crumble to dust.

POWER STUNT·
· Darkvision: You are able to see in total darkness perfectly.
· Durability: Any lethal damage you receive with a damage bonus equal to or less than your damage save becomes stun damage instead.
· Immunity: You gain one Immunity per rank of Vampirism, though may never choose energy (especially light) Immunity nor does Immunity to Critical hits ever cover their vulnerability to staking.
· Identity Change: You do not always appear as a Vampire (pale skinned, unearthly, extended canines etc..) and may instead appear as a normal human version of your pre vampiric self. You are able to switch between forms as a Half Action. Not the vampire retains all abilities in the human looking form,, with the exception of its Draining bite. Also if the Identity change power stunt is chosen then the disturbing flaw cannot be taken.
· Leaping: The Unholy nature of a Vampire means the earth can repel them to such an extent that they can replicate the effects of the Leaping power (p. 74).
· Variable Attribute: The Vampire’s Draining bite may require another source than blood (Con), such as Brain fluid (Int), Spinal Fluid (Dex), Energy (powers) or so forth. Choose one alternate source for the draining attack to affect replacing Constitution.

EXTRAS
· Alternate Form: The Vampire may assume the form of a Gaseous mist or a Shadow as per the power Alternate form (p. 61) of one rank per rank of Vampirism. Whichever form the Vampire does not choose they may pick up for an additional extra.
· Clinging: The Vampire may climb or walk along vertical surfaces or ceilings as per Clinging (p. 63) for each rank of Vampirism.
· Hypnotic Gaze: The Vampire may make a target weary with their gaze as per Fatigue (p. 70) for each rank of Vampirism.
· Mind Control: The Vampire can control the minds of those nearby, imposing his will upon them, as per Mind Control (p. 76).
· Shapeshift: The Vampire can assume the form of Animals (typically bats and wolves, but others are possible) as per Shapeshift (p. 80). However the unnatural nature of the beast is always apparent.
· Super Speed: The Vampire may move with incredible speed as per super Speed (p. 85) for each rank of Vampirism.
· Telepathy: The Vampire may communicate Telepathically as per the power (p. 87) with anyone he has bitten or turned.
· Feed Frequency: The Vampire must feed on blood once per day, however with practice this frequency can be reduced. For an additional extra the Vampire need not feed more than 1 per week, and for an additional extra once per month, and finally once per year.

FLAWS
· Disturbing: Some Vampires (such as Nosferatu for example) appear disturbingly un-human and exude an unearthly presence, you may appear non human, you may have glowing eyes, you may have no reflection, whispering voices may be heard in your presence, whatever the cause you just feel wrong and people notice. The overall affect being a –5 penalty to Bluff and Diplomacy. Note if the Disturbing flaw is taken then the vampire cannot choose the Identity change power stunt.

Design Breakdown:
Base Cost 1
Effects:- (+10)
Ability: Super Strength (all) +3, Super Constitution (all) +3
Alteration: Drain (Con) +1, Regeneration +1
Attack: Natural Weapon +1
Defence: Amazing Save (Damage) +1
Extras:- (+12)
Contagious (Vampirism is contagious) +1
Triggered Drain (Drain works automatically on a successful bite attack) +1
Alternate Form +1
Clinging +1
Hypnotic Gaze (works a Fatigue) +1
Mind Control +1
Shapeshift (animals only) +1
Super Speed +1
Telepathy +1
Feed Frequency (Reduces frequency Vampire must feed) +1
Regrow Limbs (Extra for Regeneration) +1
Back from the Brink (Extrs for Regeneration) +1
Flaws:- (-9)
Disturbing –1
Limited Regeneration (Cannot regenerate damage caused by holy items) –1
Hunger (1/day must feed, failure means they need to make will save Dc20 each hour until they do DC increases +1 for each hour or they go berserk. –1
Berserk (As Weakness when exposed to blood must make Will save DC 20 or goes berserk or triggered by Hunger) –1
Susceptible to Sunlight (As weakness susceptible) –1
Susceptible to Holy (As weakness susceptible, includes holy places or items) –1
Vulnerable to Staking (Stake through heart, which occurs on a critical hit against them) –1
Limited Contagion (check for contagion of Vampirism fort save DC 10 + PR only if victim has been killed by Drain) –1
Range (Natural Weapons base Attack effect range of normal reduced to Touch) –1

Breakdown = 1+ 10 (effects) + 12 (extras) – 9 (flaws) = 14
Cost per Rank = 14 pp
Last edited by Neo on Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Updated Daywalker

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:56 pm

DAYWALKER
Cost: 13
Duration: Permanent
Those who are Daywalkers were naturally conceived beings given birth by a parent who is turned into a vampire late in the pregnancy, typically this results in an early birth as the dying host expels the living child, those who survive grow to become Daywalkers. As Vampirism is a form of blood disease the Daywalkers are enhanced, they gain many of the benefits of Vampires, but very few of the weaknesses. They still however feel driven by the need for plasma (blood) in order to stave off the Hunger they feel though not as fiercely as a full vampire. Those who are Daywalkers are capable of many amazing abilities. Super Strength (p. 86) and Super Constitution (p. 85) have all aspects of those attributes raised for each rank in Daywalker. In addition the Daywalkers form is extremely resilient Amazing save – Damage (p. 61). The Daywalkers have slightly extended canines with which they bite into the necks of their victims and drain their blood as per Drain – Con (p. 66) anyone reduced to zero Constitution dies due to sanguination. All Daywalkers part Vampiric nature allows them to heal amazingly quickly though unlike their sires not back from death nor re-growing limbs otherwise it is as per Regeneration (p. 80). A Daywalker who does not feed once per week must make a Will save (DC20) each and every hour there after until he does feed (DC increases +1 per additional hour) or he goes Berserk (p. 106), additionally whenever the Daywalker is exposed to the source of his hunger (almost always blood) they must also make a Will save (DC 20) or go Berserk then also.

POWER STUNT
· Darkvision: You are able to see in total darkness perfectly.
· Durability: Any lethal damage you receive with a damage bonus equal to or less than your damage save becomes stun damage instead.

EXTRAS
· Leaping: The Unnatural heritage of a Daywalker means the earth can still repel them to such an extent that they can replicate the effects of the Leaping power (p. 74).
· Serum: The Daywalker has access to a supply of Serum, which is made with garlic, blood and other more specialised ingredients, which works to stave off the hunger the Daywalker feels to feed. With this extra the Daywalker reduces the frequency with which he must feed and hence be likely to go Berserk to once per month instead of once per week. However the Daywalkers part vampiric blood builds up a tolerance to the serum reducing its effectiveness. As such consider the serum to work for a number of months equal to the rank 12-the rank in Daywalker until eventually the serum has no effect. (At such time the Daywalker no longer needs pay the Extra cost for the serum). The Serum extra may be purchased again after this time to reflect a newer more potent serum, but the Daywalker must then pay the increased cost of adding it to all Daywalker ranks.

Design Breakdown:
Base Cost 1
Effects:- (+10)
Ability: Super Strength (all) +3, Super Constitution (all) +3
Alteration: Drain (Con) +1, Regeneration +1
Extras:- (+5)
Triggered Drain (Drain works automatically on a successful bite attack) +1
Leaping +1
Serum +1
Regrow Limbs (regeneration extra) +1
Back from the Brink (regeneration extra) +1
Flaws:- (-3)
Hunger (1/week must feed, failure means they need to make will save Dc20 each hour until they do DC increases +1 for each hour or they go berserk. –1
Berserk (As Weakness when exposed to blood must make Will save DC 20 or goes berserk or triggered by Hunger) –1

Breakdown = 1+ 10 (effects) + 5 (extras) – 3 (flaws) = 13
Cost per Rank = 13 pp
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Updated Lycanthropy

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:29 pm

LYCANTHROPY
Cost: 14
Duration: Continuous
Lycanthropy is a disease, which causes the target to succumb to their animalistic nature, transforming into an Animal Hybrid of some type being mostly humanoid in shape but with the ability to turn into some animal form completely (most commonly wolf, though panthers, bears, rats and so forth are also possible) as Shapeshift (p. 80) though may only assume the single animal form with all its movement capabilities. The baser instinct of the beast within tends to take control of the hero completely releasing its primal rage in a berserk fury. The Lycanthrope is extremely resilient Amazing Damage save (p. 61), and has sharp claws and teeth as per Natural Weapon (p. 77). All Lycanthropes heal incredibly fast also thanks to their Regenerative capabilities (p. 79) and are incredibly strong and health having all aspects of Strength and Constitution improved via Super Strength (p. 86) and Super Constitution (p. 85). As with all animals the Lycanthropes sense tend to be far more acute than a normal humans thanks to their Super Senses (p. 85). As Lycanthropy is a disease any bitten by the Lycanthrope must make a fortitude save (DC10 + Lycanthropy rank) failure meaning the target has contracted the disease, and with the next full moon they will gain Lycanthropy at +1 rank (the target loses the cost of it from their skills as the beast within causes them to forget knowledge learned, if not enough skill points are available then the cost comes from Powers then statistics). All Lycanthropes must also struggle with the beast within and anytime they are angered, struck, extremely excited, on a full moon, or in the presence of blood must make a Will save (DC20) or go berserk (p. 106) as the animal within takes over (effectively making the hero a GM character for the duration). All Lycanthropes have an extreme susceptibility to Silver (p. 107) as for some reason those inflicted with Lycanthropy become dangerously allergic to silver.

POWER STUNT
· Darkvision: You can see perfectly in total darkness
· Scent: The lycanthrope has extraordinarily heightened sense of smell.
· Immunity: The Lycanthrope may choose an immunity to Critical Hits, Disease, or Poison, whichever he does not choose he may take as additional power stunts.
· Ultra Hearing: The Lycanthrope has extremely capable hearing range beyond that of normal beings.

EXTRAS
· Super Dexterity: The Lycanthrope benefits as per Super Dexterity (p. 85) also.
· Identity Change: The Lycanthrope has the ability to resume its natural mortal form, while in this form the hero receives none of the benefits from the Lycanthropy power.
· Leaping: The Lycanthrope may leap as per the power of the same name (p. 74) at a rank equal to his lycanthrope powers.

FLAWS
· No Recollection: The hero has no memory of any activities taken when he changes shape, thus the wolf say has no memory of what the human does and vice versa. The lycanthrope still has to check for going berserk but the animal persona is literally like another person living in the hero’s body and they have separate lives.

Design Breakdown:
Base Cost 1
Effects:- (+12)
Ability: Super Strength (all) +3, Super Constitution (all) +3, Super Senses +2
Alteration: Regeneration +1
Transformation: Shapeshift +1
Extras:- (+8 )
Continuous shapeshift (Ends only when stunned or KO’d) +1
Exact (Animal form assumed is totally natural) +1
Movement (Movement abilities of animal form are assumed also) +1
Triggered Berserk (exposed to blood, angry, struck, extremely excited, or it’s a full moon triggers check) +1
Super Dexterity +1
Identity Change (can assume original human form) +1
Leaping +1
Flaws:- (-7)
Limited Shapeshift – One Type (Animal) -1
Limited Shapeshift – One Animal (Pick one) -1
Berserk (As Weakness when when triggered Will save DC 20 or goes berserk) –1
Limited Contagion (Only check for Contagion on a successful bite attack) -1
Susceptibility (Silver) –1
No recollection -1

Breakdown = 1+ 12 (effects) + 8 (extras) – 7 (flaws) = 14