Storn's Character and Art Thread

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Evil Toki » Thu May 08, 2003 2:24 pm

cool character Nuadha, a Rogue like character :)
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nuadha » Thu May 08, 2003 2:52 pm

Actually, despite her appearance, my Champions character Lilly/Succubi is a bit more of a Rogue-like character. She's a shapeshifter, but she has the power Drain: Stun with the limitation "always on." She doesn't mimic powers or anything but she has that whole angsty I-can't-touch-people-with-out knocking-them-out-thing. The only exception is when she turns into the demon form that Storn drew, which seems to change her personality, making her more aggressive and giving her flight and some nasty combat powers.

I started making Basile (Legionnaire) as an assassin that specializes in killing metahumans and was trying to think of what would be a power that would lead to such a career so that's why I chose the powers I did. I submitted the character to Storn and he suggested that it would work better for the game if he were not an assassin, so I changed him into more of a traditional soldier and made him a member of UNITE.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby JayDarkson » Fri May 09, 2003 2:17 am

I love it... keep up the good work
JayDarkson
Bystander
Bystander

Congo Tango

Postby Storn » Sat May 10, 2003 9:56 am

Thursday night was the continuation of the African adventures.

Bill made it up for the game, and came up with a Slovak named Andre who was in China during WWIII and his arm replaced with a "crystaltech" arm. He can generate "blasts" of crystaltech and take both kinetic and wave energies on his arm and increase his Strength. His possible codename is "Fractal", but that hasn't been confirmed.

When we last left our Team, they were about to embark to a meeting place designated by Veer, leader of the Moreaus. This meeting place was safer, off the beaten track of various militia factions. In the meantime, Veer was going to go to the mountain valley that Desdamona Sangetti was doing her anthropological study in. And bring her to the meeting place in 1 week.

The designated meeting place was only about a days hike, so the Team delayed, conferenced with UNTIL command and got word of more paranormal back up in the form of Andre. Andre was in China because he was an expert on former Soviet computer and military systems. He was tech support unit assigned to the UN forces.

After being airlifted in, Andre bringing baguettes from Holland, quickly settled into the unit without fuss. Basille shown an unknown talent of making jungle cuisine actually taste very good. Fury continued to grumble and Lori struggled with getting a clear answer out of UNTIL command on what the mission parameters where in regards to Desdemona. Wide latitude was given, but no Sanction Order even if Desdamona was still RAVEN.

UNTIL satellite intelligence reported to Lori an increase in possible RAVEN chatter, including a codeword that kept popping up; "Osprey". Possible continued recruitment of both paranormal mercenaries and local warlord and militia might be happening.

A Moreau came out of the jungle, introducing herself as Violet (I snagged her from one of this boards regulars, and I can't remember who to give proper credit!!! sorry.) She would be the guide to the designated meeting place and obviously had an affinity for the jungle foliage as it seemed to respond to her whims.

The next day, the Team moved out slowly to the DMP, stating that they would be taking their sweet time because they were in no hurry... after all, Veer and Desdamona wouldn't be there for another 4 days or so. {gm note: waiting for Andre ate up a couple of days}

The next afternoon, Violet had an horrendous vision... plants and the forest could transmit information to her... two Moreaus scouting came across the Ospreys. According to the vision; Gazelle, one of the fastest Moreaus was actually run down by the Osprey known as Scamper. Scamper hamstrung Gazelle with a knife and captured the helpless Moreau. Sam, a chameleon like Moreau was shot 3 times but manage to limp off into the jungle.

Violet pleaded with the Team to rescue Sam. Sam was unconcious, hidden by his chameleon powers in a grove, but the plants would tell Violet his precise location. Lori was concerned about what risk that would be to the mission... but Scamper was brought up as a combat speedster in the Holland briefing. The Team was a bit divided on what to do, Andre pressing for involvement, because it would be a diplomatic gesture vis a vis the Moreaus.

Lori relented, asked for UN permission to salvage the rest of the Ship for study. Violet couldn't make that decision, but promised to strongly pursue that with Veer.

The Team moved out and towards dusk, they found Sam, unconcious, but alive. Medical triage was being carried out, when and advanced scout of the Osprey's arrived on the scene. He was a cat-like man (I used RW Temple's commission posted here earlier) and was sniffing the air for Sam. But he hadn't spotted the Team yet. Andre and Basille where on point and Andre spotted "Marauder" and reported in. Lori gave the order to "take him out". Both Andre and Basille are slow flyers (GM note: Basille had mimicked an UNITE teammate), but flyers nonetheless. Andre was positioned in a tree and held the high ground.

The first shot knocked Marauder to his knees. The Ospreys reacted in the jungle, but sight lines were short at best. But it was obvious that Marauder had teammates strung out in the jungle. Lori told Basille and Anthony to carry Sam to safety, Violet moved with them. Expecting to drop back under cover of Andre's fire... that idea was blown all to hell, when Fury dashed forward, running towards the kneeling Marauder.

Andre's second shot took Maruader in the chest and flipped him over. Now all that could be seen was Marauder's one knee poking up thru the tall jungle grass. Fury continued to close.

Then Ospreys brought the payback. Scamper, who can do 100 mph plus, streaked past Fury, slicing through cybernetics and flesh with her Gerber combat knife {nat 20 + Suprise attack, ouch!}. Fury managed to stay up (spent Hero pt to avoid disabled condition).

Andre was seeing some militia moving in the jungle and put one down. The Osprey's militia were firing ragged volleys blind towards the Team's position without much effect. Lori called for sitrep, but the situation was fairly confused already.

As Fury tried to square off against the speedy Scamper, Sgt. Torquelli (Torq) stepped up behind him in an obvious Osprey coordinated manuever and opened up on Fury with his M60 machine gun. Fury managed to sidestep and cybernetics managed to ping all the withering fire... but Scamper came in again and got another vicious blow in. {Gm note: Sgt. Torquelli was in the briefing as well as his capt, Capt Cori. They were hired by RAVEN. I have pictures I swiped, but they ain't mine, so I cannot in good conscience show another artists work w/o their permission}

Andre, having a sense of Fury's predicament and general location, shot his Crystaltech blast from his arm into the jungle, tagging Torquelli hard (in a miracle shot).

Meanwhile, another Osprey; Condor {power armor suit, see enclosed pic}, was floating and flying some 50 feet above ground level, searching for targets. Lori slipped into a muddy pool to cool her heat signature and hoped that he would drift close enuff for her to strike with her blades. {GM note, Neil used a Hero Pt for "dramatic and inspired editing" to have a pool available to do the Predator trick. A use of Hero Pts that I wholeheartedly approve of!}

Fury's fight just continued to be one of frustration as the two Ospreys, even with interference from Andre, just chipped and slashed and crippled the poor cybernetic strongman. {GM note, in a few turns, Eric was out of Hero Pts... 2 vs. one... ouch!}. And eventually went down.

Andre, distracted by Condor moving towards Basille, Violet, Anthony and the unconscious Sam, moved to attack the flying power armor suit. A withering blast of crystaltech spikes forced Condor down, while doing some damage. Right into the waiting blades of Lori. Living up to her name as Cyberblade, she jumped up and managed to get on top of Condor.

Her first attack was blunted by the suits armor. The second attack was not to be denied. Condor went unconcious due to shock and suit flight systems cut out, dropping Lori and himself ot the jungle floor. A couple of twists of the blades and the Condor pilot is joining his ancestors.

Meanwhile, Fury was dressed, carved, shot and taken out of the fight and was dying on the battlefield. Basille, responding to the radio chatter comes running back. Passing Lori's position and into the waiting claws of Marauder (who has regeneration and was back into the fight). Basille's face was severely sliced open and the poor french legionnaire dropped like a rock.

Lori, picks up Marauder's Maser rifle and blasts Marauder into next week. Andre collects Fury after hammering Sgt. Torq to the ground with his Cybernetic spikes and then later with the Sgt's own M60. Scamper retreats, yelling for back-up... a fact that Anthony picks up on his ultra-sophisticated radio communication gear. "More Ospreys are in the woods and they are a'commin! "

The evening ends there, as Basille is concious enough to walk and Fury is picked up by Lori. The Team fades into the jungle. Final tally? The Team; two severly wounded. Ospreys; 3 dead. The opening salvo has been fired, but it will probably not be the last in this hellish mountain jungle arena.

Here's Condor's pic:

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mucknuggle » Sat May 10, 2003 10:16 am

Nice pic! The style looks slightly different from your other work. Did you do something different this time?
Mucknuggle
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Storn » Sat May 10, 2003 10:35 am

Mucknuggle wrote:Nice pic! The style looks slightly different from your other work. Did you do something different this time?

It was a very quick sketch with pencil. It isn't inked. I darken the pencil lines almost to black, went in, cleaned up a few extraneous lines and colored using mostly watercolor tools digitally. a little bit of photoshop filter work is in teh armor to "pit" it up a bit.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Evil Toki » Sat May 10, 2003 10:37 am

sweet story, like the artwork... and well... uhh... looks like you used colored pencils... or something on the picture it has a more rough look, I like it :)

I stand corrected :)
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Evil Toki » Sun May 11, 2003 10:12 am

As an aside, i like the gritty feel of this game, real in your face it seems, good mix of super-powers, tech, and espionge with hard core Black Ops stuff, this would make an excellent comic I think :)
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Storn » Mon May 12, 2003 6:00 am

Evil Toki wrote:As an aside, i like the gritty feel of this game, real in your face it seems, good mix of super-powers, tech, and espionge with hard core Black Ops stuff, this would make an excellent comic I think :)

I'm not good enough with words... I'm just taking many of the building block elements that Neil has created and mixing them up a lot... that I'm good at. But I have never even attempted to write dialogue in anything besides a role playing game... finding voices for different folks would be very hard for me. There is a reason that I'm a pencil jock and not a word processing jock.

I would love to do comics again... but I would need to get paid. They are just too time consuming to do otherwise. Besides, I think the mix of superpowers, espionage...that pretty much describes most of the Image (owned by DC) line. It ain't exactly original stuff! <g>.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Evil Toki » Mon May 12, 2003 6:03 am

wel I agree, just saying it is good stuff... and gives me good ideas for a black ops supers campaign... shades of gray... end justify the means... with a little flare :)
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nuadha » Mon May 12, 2003 11:04 am

I didn't get a good look at the Condor pic on Sunday. I like the different, looser style, Storn. It looks more like concept art this way. (I've become a fan of concept art lately after looking through some concept artist's websites. There's a lot of neat stuff out there.)

Good game, Storn. Even though Basile only saw one round of combat and it didn't go so well, I had a great time.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Nuadha » Mon May 12, 2003 11:11 am

I was fooling aroung wit M&M the other day and decided to try doing conversions of some of my Champions characters. Here is Jubei with Storn's art (keeping this on-topic): http://www.geocities.com/nuadha_silverhand/jubei.html

(EDIT- Although, I didn't mention it with a "Villain option", Jubei could obviously be used as a villain in someone else's game because of his casual attitude towards killing. He's honorable, but his honor is out of place in this world.)
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Tent-Minis

Postby Dynamo » Mon May 12, 2003 4:06 pm

I posted a link to a PDF of Storn tent-minis (aka cardboard heroes) on the Hero Games forums. In return for his permission to do so, Storn asked me to post the link here as well.

Get 'em here.

They won't stay where they are forever, but I'll see about finding them a permanent home.

David Lawson
Ebon Tower

Edit: Permanent home achieved. Link updated.
Last edited by Dynamo on Fri May 16, 2003 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dynamo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Evil Toki » Mon May 12, 2003 4:32 pm

I like Jubei, and I snagged the PDF file Dynamo, both good stuff :)
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Amazing Work

Postby GrayPumpkin » Tue May 13, 2003 9:05 am

I’m new here and I just saw this thread the other day and I just wanted to say to Storn; dude your artwork is amazing! This is great inspiring stuff. Please keep these coming.
I’ve also enjoyed reading about your game; I like the feel of your universe. I find it to be intriguing. I especially like the European angle it gives a very super-spy feel. This is great stuff man you should be proud.
GrayPumpkin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nuadha » Tue May 13, 2003 1:59 pm

Evil Toki wrote:I like Jubei, and I snagged the PDF file Dynamo, both good stuff :)

Toki- I had a hunch, from your avatar, that you would like Jubei.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby rictor » Wed May 14, 2003 12:44 pm

The knife wielding CyberBlade bursting out of the muddy water.......damn that's sweet. That's the kind of thing hero points were invented for!

Damn great game Storn & crew

Rictor
no worth while person owns less then 500 albums - Nick Hornby
rictor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Storn » Sat May 17, 2003 11:40 am

As per dbenson's request:

Here is "Maxim", Holland's superhero member of UNITE. Originally, going to be someone else, but I wasn't completely happy with the outfit. But Neil swiped him for UNITE and he's turned into a pretty interesting NPC.

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Evil Toki » Sat May 17, 2003 11:47 am

sweet picture, no real definition of what his powers could be though, unless that was intentional
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby SuperStar » Sat May 17, 2003 5:25 pm

Evil Toki wrote:sweet picture, no real definition of what his powers could be though, unless that was intentional

He would make a cool vampire superhero.
SS

"If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it." - Rand Al'Thor

gallery | game
SuperStar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Crackerjack » Sun May 18, 2003 5:11 pm

looks like a density changer or alternate form: solid to me

or from the name, maybe just an Original, or a flyer with growth or something...
"Look out boys, it's Astro City's greatest hero!"
"Hey, I dont see Samaritan anywhere..."
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Re: Amazing Work

Postby Storn » Mon May 19, 2003 5:40 am

GrayPumpkin wrote:I’m new here and I just saw this thread the other day and I just wanted to say to Storn; dude your artwork is amazing! This is great inspiring stuff. Please keep these coming.
I’ve also enjoyed reading about your game; I like the feel of your universe. I find it to be intriguing. I especially like the European angle it gives a very super-spy feel. This is great stuff man you should be proud.

Thanks Gray... I appreciate hearing that. But much of the credit is due to the other players and especially the main GM, Neil... I'm just the co-gm. Now, the artwork? I can take full credit for that.

>>sweet picture, no real definition of what his powers could be though, unless that was intentional<<

When i was doodling him, I was working on a Mass/Gravity manipulator concept, perhaps in UNITE. I wasn't really sure where I was going with it... and I ended up creating Geist, a character I like much better... so I dropped this one. But I did send the picture to Neil so he might get some use out of it. I often create a character concept by doing a picture first... not always, but sometimes.
He came up with "Maxim", Holland's UNITE member. He has superman-like powers, pretty straightforward, flight, superstrength, but isn't all that beefy (for a superhero).

>>He would make a cool vampire superhero.<<<

Y'know? that's what I love about doing portraits of superhero/villains... present one image and you can get many different interpertations. That is not a bad idea.... nor is the desolid idea that Crackerjack just tossed out.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mucknuggle » Tue May 20, 2003 2:57 am

Any hints for what the next pic will be?
Mucknuggle
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Storn » Tue May 20, 2003 5:29 pm

Mucknuggle wrote:Any hints for what the next pic will be?

How about her?

Beacon.

Still working on the exact powers and stats and stuff (for champions)

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby chillrb » Tue May 20, 2003 5:32 pm

I love her pic Storn!
chillrb
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext