Storn's Character and Art Thread

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Storn » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:08 am

Thanks y'all.

Just noticed that the view count is higher than any of the sticky topics. Ok, that is totally a ego statement :D

but seriously, thanks to everyone who supports this thread. I enjoy sharing my stories and art. My game is still a bit on hiatus. Neil is running this week again, this time 'cause we are getting an old player back and it is easier to fit him into an old storyline of Neils than try to bring him up to speed in a brand new mini-campaign.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Striker » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:03 am

:o Um, what's this doing on page 3? I SO do not think so.

Bump!
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Colin Chapman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:41 pm

*trips over* bump! Oops! :wink:
Isn't it about time this thread was made Sticky? (hint, hint)

Colin
Colin Chapman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:43 pm

Colin Chapman wrote:*trips over* bump! Oops! :wink:
Isn't it about time this thread was made Sticky? (hint, hint)

Colin

Compleate agreement.

Storn has first page rights.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Storn » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:44 am

*sticky* seems to take a lot of room at the top of the forum. I'm not sure if this thread is useful enough to enough folks out there to warrent such a thing. It is just not in the same boat as errata or other Green Ronin issues.

But I just wanted to comment on Neil's game last night. He ran Vanguard, some of which you have seen pics of in the last week or so. Vanguard is Locke (Eric), Thermal (Bill, looks like Firewing), Chango (James) and Vector (Storn). It is the first time in a LONG time that the full roster of Vanguard has been together. Bill lives in Cleveland and actually traveled for this game to Ypsilanti. (Thanks Bill!). His schedule permits him to do this again.

Locke had died fighting Menton, but the judicious use of the "gold" chit (Champs house rule, similar to hero pts, but with color ranks of white, black, blue and gold) allowed his essense to be stored inside a "light being" named Emma and Thermal's girlfriend. Vector was thought to be dead...and he is missing the last year and 1/2 memories. He returns to the surprise of everyone and doesn't have much to explain what happened.

So the evening starts with the rebirth of Locke, in which all the powers of the PCs were used... I got to be a teke midwife. And Locke springs forth, fully formed and different. It was a really, really cool scene. And a lot of fun.

Then a horrendous press conference, where some parts of humanity think Locke is the second coming and he BLOWS his chance to dissuade them of that. Thermal and Vector struggle with spin control.... too funny. We were laughing so hard at times.

And we end with the reforming of Vanguard and about 3 hours of political discussion, ramifications and plans for the future. With the serious notion from some parties of capping the President of the US and replacing him with a doppleganger. The US has been doing really, REALLY bad things of late. REALLY BAD things.

Barely any dice where thrown, no combat. And absolute blast of an evening roleplaying.

The situation is SO complicated and involved and deep and rich, my little write up does NOTHING to explain what is going on. Maybe Neil, when he recovers, can elaborate, or some of the other players. But I did want to use this thread as a pully bullpit and just express the joy I had playing.

I run this coming Thursday. So more UNTIL Black Ops adventures on the way!
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nuadha » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:27 am

Were any dice thrown? I can't remember a single roll.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby RDU Neil » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:04 am

Nuadha wrote:Were any dice thrown? I can't remember a single roll.

Because you guys spent Blue Chits to assure Locke's return... the only dice thrown were Locke's attempts to mind control Angelus, and keep him from prosteletizing (sp?) the "heroes are chosen of God" concept. He had to get him to shut up, or he was going to drive the throngs of potential worshippers over the top.

Other than that... no dice.

Note: Over the past many years, Vector has saved the Europe from nuclear destruction and the US from a military coup, only to lose his country (he's exiled from the US). Thermal has lead an army of paranormals to save the world... and in the process, killed many, and inadvertanlty used his power to literally restore life to the dead. Locke has been the constant companion of both of these men, is THE most powerful PSI on the planet (almost), and has died time and time again, only to be reborn in an evolved form.

Add to this Chango... a reformed supervillain who has a high media Q rating and risked his life to fight in the pararnormal war in China, and you have a team that effects the course of history, just by existing. (Not to mention Thermal is the president of his own metahuman nation of Sanctuary).

There have always been the fringes of humanity that turn their fear and awe of superhumans into worship. The Vanguard have just pushed things even farther. Cults of worshippers have come out of the woodwork... and the game ended on two notes...

... after spending most of the night debating how metahumans and humans have to live alongside each other... the final discussion turned, seriously, to the discussion of the feasibility of assassinating the President of the USA, and replacing him with a puppet... or make him a puppet, controlled by Locke.

These are the heroes... by the way... and this was not idle chit chat.

On top of that, they were left to face the arrival of a Papal envoy, requested by the Religious zealot Angelus. This Bishop de Sanguine, an old foe of the heroes from years ago, had previously tried to lead a Catholic based, religious resurgence via another PC... the charasmatic, Argentinian born Toredador, who was highly religious and believed his sword was a gift of God. de Sanguine is back, and trying to capitalize on the surge of hero worship, to continue his agenda.

This is too much fun for me, as a GM. It's everything I've wanted a game to be... not "four color heroes" but "people with great power" and the decisions they make on how to use that power.

Last night, because they could, they seriously debated taking over the world... assassinating world leaders... all for "the good of the world."

Everything they've ever fought against... everything that screams "superVILLAIN" and they are seriously considering it.

The moral quandry is stunning. The role playing brilliant, and the evolving metaphor about "power and expediency" gives depth to a campaign that I've always strived for. 8)

Who knows what will happen next.
RDU Neil
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Evil Toki » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:15 am

that is what great stories are made of :)
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nuadha » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:35 am

I don't think we ever seriously thought about taking over the world. Just America.

It's all a matter of saving the world. That makes us the good guys, right? :wink:
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby BonHed » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:26 am

Nuadha wrote:I don't think we ever seriously thought about taking over the world. Just America.

It's all a matter of saving the world. That makes us the good guys, right? :wink:

Speak for yourself, James/Nuadha... =)

Locke doesn't want to take over the world. He wants to guide it to a better place.
Insofar as it exists at all, nothing contained, suggested or insinuated in this email constitutes or implies anything at all.
BonHed
Bystander
Bystander

Rwanda Rumble

Postby Storn » Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am

Black Ops picked up again last night. It was a night of fits and starts, but I had fun. Introduced a new character for James, Legionairre. So that took a bit of fitting in. And I wasn't quite sure how to do it, so I fumbled a bit, but eventually the story got going.

The Black Ops team of Lori (Cyberblade), Fury and Anthony were told that a Desdamona Sangetti was reputed to be in some jungle moutain valley on the Rwanda, Congo border. Desdemona was important, because her signature was one of three that released vast sums of money into Raven's hands under "Scallion's" auspices.

Rumors of Raven having lost track of Desdemona continue to surface, even as the Team was getting their booster shots and last minute Intel. Raven supposedly hired some 2nd string mercenaries who had African experience... A Capt. Cori, Sgt Torquelli who was reputed to be a steroid triggered strongman and a speedster named Scamper. Scamper had been clocked at 90 mph by an UNTIL agent in the past and she was know to run up vertical surfaces....perhaps with her strangely constructed boots.

Lei Wu Long's replacement shows at the briefing. He is Basile Castillon and has joined UNITE (UNTIL's paranormal, overt team and only 1 rep from each UN country is allowed... right now, aobut 21 countries have reps). Codename: Legionnaire and is France's replacement for Fleur De Lis (who is off planet). Basile is French Foreign Legion and has had extensive Angolan and Algerian tours.

Lori and Basile seem to hit some sort of relaxed professional demeanor between them instantly. Fury? Well, Fury looks down on anything french and was surprised to hear Lori speaking french (Lori grew up in Viet Nam, french is almost a native language for her).

The skinny on Desdemona is that her last name is Pride. She married a Canadian named Jon Pride and like herself, is an anthropologist. They are on some expedition through the Canadian Ministry of Education. And the usually forthright Canadians are not talking about the expedition, the Prides' whereabouts, even under strenous UNTIL political pressure. However, the Prides do communicate by satellite with Ministry of Education intermittently.

The plan is to put the Team on the ground. Where Anthony can use his sophisticated detection gear to hopefully snag some radio communication of the Prides and track them down before Raven does. This is a mission that is expected to perhaps take weeks.

An UNTIL VTOL takes the team to the LZ and the Team rappels into the jungle. Using a tributary off of the Zaire river, the Team moves into the jungle night. Quickly coming upon a former campsite of a local militia...AK-47 shells, cooking etc are found. A tree was used as target practice, no firefight. The briefing did state that several factions in at least 2 civil wars operated in the region. Despite all the traffic, the area was extremely sparse in human population.

Early the next morning, Anthony picks up a very strange reflective signature on his detection equipment. Something large, like the size of "two buildings" is off the tributarty and up the mountain ridge incline. Quickly deciding on investigation and having nothing else to go on, the Team moves in that direction.

A small, high moutain valley is the final resting place of a giant airship. A bizarre construction that is 1/2 the size of an aircraft carrier. The main fusilage is broken in the middle, but wings and engines and other levels are twisted and akimbo. Several enormous trees had been flattened by the ships impact. The jungle had been making its attempt to reclaim the area for about 4 years or so. Vines and young trees sprouted where the sun now hit the giant structure.

No life, although rings of stones to denote old campfires were easily found, ripped out chairs were arranged in semi-circles. Some 300 graves were barely seen with the vibrant undergrowth. The ship itself had Porteguese writing, but no identification numbers. Anthony, the tech head, pointed out large anti-grav pods (a very RARE abiltiy in RDU) based somewhat on Dr. Destroyer's old ship and perhaps the Viper Carrier. But it could also submerge, turbines and rudders were also present. A very, very sophisticated craft.

Inside, the ship was gutted. Someone had spent 1000s of man hours tearing out wires, every computer was gone, very few chairs were left, plating was gone in some cases. The lower levels revealed jail cells, a bed and a toilet. The upper levels were sophisticated labs, medical facilites....and for the most part, they too had been ransacked thoroughly.

Fury, being an ex-cop, started to look for papers. He found a captain's log, in Portuguese and Anthony took it over from there, scanning it and sending it to UNTIL in Paris for translation. While waiting for that process to work, unwanted visitors arrived.

A band of 15 milita, carrying assault rifles and a dead gazelle seemed to have every intention of staying the night,, cooking their dinner and drinking fermented...something. The Team hunkered down in the wreck and were in no danger of being spotted. About a 1/2 hour passes.

Meanwhile, Paris has translated some of the Capt's log. The last entries speak of a "mounting tensions" and "rumors of Vanguard coming to save the "experiments"". And that the ship was a giant, moveable lab for the brilliant geneticist, Malachite. gm note: Malachite Islands, a small grouping of islands is near the Canaries and Porteguese is the common language... things were starting to fit together. And Malachite is dead, he never had the chance to find were his huge lab had crashed.

Lori decided to try and make contact...a word or two of French was heard sprinkled in their native language. As she was about to reveal herself, she spots red eyes in the bush, putting the milita in between her and several forms in the jungle.

Before she could really do anything, the jungle exploded with an attack. Creatures of lizard, bird, cat, boar mixed with huminoid features jumped out. Some carried spears, one carried an assault rifle, others didn't need weapons, claws and horns would suffice. They seem intent on slaughtering the militia. Lori ordered the Team to open fire on the attackers. Wanting to protect a source of info, more than any altruistic notion.

The militia was totally unprepared. The Team's coordinated fire blunted the creatures assault, but not totally. Soon, the creatures were among the militia.

Lori shot the Lion-like huminoid carrying an Ak-47...and it looked up more surprised than hurt...saw that she was white and mouthed "why?". This stunned Lori as the melee raged around the militia's campsite. She continued firing, but not at the Lion... a screaming conversation sprung up between them: "You can speak?"
"You are white?
"Did Vanguard send you?"
"No, we work for UNTIL",
"Ah! The other gods!"
"wha?"

Meanwhile, the militia was getting ripped apart, the Team was ripping the creatures apart and chaos ruled the night.

Eventually, Lori convinced the Lion, who seemed to have some leadership ability, to call off his attackers. The Lion said that he would bring his leader, who had "more words than I". And that they shouldn't attack his leader, for his leader Veer was a god. The creatures bound back into the jungle cover.

4 militia were too wounded to retreat, and one was captured by Lori in the last few seconds of the firefight. Interrogation reveals that these creatures are hated by the militia and are hunted. Obviously the prey had other ideas last night. The militia don't know a whole lot and the broken french they do know is not conducive to long conversations. The rumor of a white couple living somewhere near the "abominations" is revealed, but it is only heresay. It could be the Prides.

The next morning, the jungle awakes to a strange sight. A man walks toward the group, dressed in spandex, cape, large V on his chest....and he is walking on air, well, on strange energy discs that appear in the air before each step. He yells to Lori and Legionnaire (the only ones who were outside the wreck to receive this godling). "I am Veer."

However, Veer looks so much like Vector of Vanguard. No one on the Team has ever met Vector, but he is well known now. Veer reveals that Vector is his "father"...so to speak, that Veer was a clone. Malachite had cloned Vector (which was know to some of the players, but not to the PCs involved). Veer was born the day the ship crashed. The creatures, they call themselves with a self-effacing shrug, the "Moreaus", had heard rumors that Vanguard, Vector and Locke were coming to rescue them. When it didn't happen, a revolt on the ship happened. Veer, looking like Vector was saved and awoken after the crash. Veer, having some flashes of Vector's memory was able to command enough respect to lead the Moreaus into the jungle.

Veer asks about the Team's missiion, Lori tells about looking for Desdemona. Veer responds that they are 1 week's distance from the Moreau's village and often has dinner with the Prides. He offers to invite the Prides to dinner at the village, but his condition is that the Team gets blindfolded... Veer is desperate to keep word of his Moreaus from the outside world, fearing for them greatly. Not to mention, Veer's resemblence to Vector would raise all kinds of attention that the young Veer is simply not comfortable with.

Lori is reluctant to lead her Team in blind, but totally understands Veer's need for security. A compromise is made, Veer will bring the Prides in 1 week's time to a third location (north end of a nearby lake) which is less traveled by warring factions. Veer and the Moreause will protect the Prides against the Team and the possible Raven incursion. But talking is probably a good thing.

...and that is where we end the evening.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Veer

Postby Storn » Fri May 02, 2003 6:40 am

And here is the Vector clone; Veer.

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RDU Neil » Fri May 02, 2003 7:53 am

First, Storn should be commended for getting ANY kind of story told, last night. We were all somewhat distracted, and kept going off on tangents, right and left.

The Vector clone story is one that has been in the back ground, for years.

Very early adventures revealed that Dr. Draconis, a megalomaniac geneticist villain, is Vector's uncle. They have a few run-ins, but Draconis is defeated.

Years later, Locke appears on the scene... a genetically crafted psychic assasion, built by Malachite, but escaped.

Locke struggles to become a hero, years pass, and Malachite haunts the heroes after coming on the scene as the ruler of his own country, a man gaining influence by genetically reforming parts of Africa to feed and support the people there, and the potential new leader of the terrorist group, PSI.

Locke and Vector make an illegal attack on the Malachite Isles, hoping to provoke reaction from Malachite, and expose his PSI connection. In this invasion, they find one of Malachite's labs, and discover rows of cloned bodies... both blank slate versions of Locke... understandable... but ALSO Dr. Draconis appears again, working for Malachite and he had enough genetic material from Vector so that Malachite was also growing Vector clones.

The battle was difficult, the heroes stunned by their discoveries, and the UN and UNITE was called in to manage this international incident. The clones were left with Malachite, and no one has revealed what happened to them.

(Malachite continued to be a major villain, taunting the heroes from his own country, and manipulating things behind the scenes. In a long and complicated story, he was killed, and only now are we discovering the repercussions of what he left behind. Africa is descending into worse chaos than it was before, and now one of the V-clones has appeared.)

Very interesting factor, introducing Veer. I'd thought about doing something like that, but it can be very personal, stepping on the toes of a player, by introducing evil or cloned versions of their character. Storn took my original story, and since Vector is his character, he can mess with the clone idea himself, and step on his own toes. :P
RDU Neil
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Fri May 02, 2003 7:58 am

Interesting plot twist there, Storn. You've got me sitting here saying, "OK, SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?" and I'm not even a player. Great work as always.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby BonHed » Fri May 02, 2003 8:33 am

Striker wrote:Interesting plot twist there, Storn. You've got me sitting here saying, "OK, SO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!?" and I'm not even a player. Great work as always.

WHat happens next? FURY KILLS EVERYBODY!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA *hackhackcough!!*

Oops, sorry, meant to keep that quiet... =)

Yeah, we were really distracted last night. Fun evening, though.
Insofar as it exists at all, nothing contained, suggested or insinuated in this email constitutes or implies anything at all.
BonHed
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Storn » Fri May 02, 2003 10:12 am

Storn took my original story, and since Vector is his character, he can mess with the clone idea himself, and step on his own toes.

Heh.

Its just such a cool concept... a V Corp! Whether good guys or bad guys, I'm fascinated by all these slivers of my main PC for years and years... who is a fairly complicated guy... there is a lot to spin off on. Veer, Malachite, the Moreaus, all of it was stuff that Neil has spun bits of in his own stories... I just picked up on a thread or two. Like I said, its like being handed a box of legos and told to go play... I'm loving it!

As far as a clone idea stepping on my toes.... nah... I think I can handle it. Unless he tries to step in on Karen... then its personal.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Storn » Fri May 02, 2003 2:24 pm

Here is a private commission for RW Temple. His idea, my doodle.

Sure could have used this guy last time I ran, just need to change to dirty khakis, and carrying an "AK-47.

Anyhow, without further ado

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Mucknuggle » Fri May 02, 2003 2:48 pm

I like! Keep em coming Storn!
Mucknuggle
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Nuadha » Fri May 02, 2003 3:12 pm

BonHed wrote:WHat happens next? FURY KILLS EVERYBODY!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA *hackhackcough!!*

Oops, sorry, meant to keep that quiet... =)

Storn, are you absolutely sure Fury isn't a mutant?
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Crackerjack » Fri May 02, 2003 6:16 pm

I say to make that pic for your own pesonal use make him an ally/enemy from either UNTIL or som badguy organization...
despite his feirce looks he is mainly a feild team's combat engineer, able to make on the spot modifications and carrying a scary custom handgun. Id say either make him African or European (British, Irish, or French)
His name could be Feral..if you want to cheeze it up ^^:;;
"Look out boys, it's Astro City's greatest hero!"
"Hey, I dont see Samaritan anywhere..."
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Evil Toki » Sun May 04, 2003 5:05 pm

Storn, RDU Neil, you guys are running awesome games, the RDU is awesome, and I enjoy hearing about it :)
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Storn » Mon May 05, 2003 6:27 am

Crackerjack wrote:I say to make that pic for your own pesonal use make him an ally/enemy from either UNTIL or som badguy organization...
despite his feirce looks he is mainly a feild team's combat engineer, able to make on the spot modifications and carrying a scary custom handgun. Id say either make him African or European (British, Irish, or French)

Huh?

I'm not sure where you are coming from on this.... But I see that my off-hand comment might be very vague. In my last game I ran, there was a group of mutants attacking Rwandan-congo miltia of some unknown faction. One of these mutants was a lion like huminoid carrying an AK-47.

The private commission that I drew the next day shows a much more suave, well-dressed lion/cat/kzinti huminoid than I pictured my NPC as being. I didn't have a picture to show the players at all... and this one was close... but needs jungle fatigues, a lot of rips in the clothing...and an AK.

So. Its not a bad idea of a "Feral" for UNTIL... and its cool to hear ideas how the same picture can be interperted in multiple ways by different folk. But that picture doesn't have a place in RDU (yet!) <g>.

And thanks! Toki and others who chime in with liking to read this thread.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RDU Neil » Wed May 07, 2003 5:22 am

Storn wrote:
Crackerjack wrote:I say to make that pic for your own pesonal use make him an ally/enemy from either UNTIL or som badguy organization...

Huh?

I'm not sure where you are coming from on this.... But I see that my off-hand comment might be very vague. In my last game I ran, there was a group of mutants attacking Rwandan-congo miltia of some unknown faction. One of these mutants was a lion like huminoid carrying an AK-47.

The private commission that I drew the next day shows a much more suave, well-dressed lion/cat/kzinti huminoid than I pictured my NPC as being. I didn't have a picture to show the players at all... and this one was close... but needs jungle fatigues, a lot of rips in the clothing...and an AK.

So. Its not a bad idea of a "Feral" for UNTIL... and its cool to hear ideas how the same picture can be interperted in multiple ways by different folk. But that picture doesn't have a place in RDU (yet!) <g>.

Actually, this picture very closely fits my image of "Felix-9" from an old Champions supplement, who was an important NPC (played once by a player) for a while. I would use this picture in that case, for an RDU character.

Very nice, Storn. See you tomorrow. Looking forward to more "Jungle Boogie... jungle boogie..." Sing with me, now!
RDU Neil
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RDU Neil » Wed May 07, 2003 5:22 am

Storn wrote:

Huh?

Actually, this picture very closely fits my image of "Felix-9" from an old Champions supplement, who was an important NPC (played once by a player) for a while. I would use this picture in that case, for an RDU character.

Very nice, Storn. See you tomorrow. Looking forward to more "Jungle Boogie... jungle boogie..." Sing with me, now! :wink:
RDU Neil
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nuadha » Thu May 08, 2003 2:22 pm

Well folks, we're meeting tonight for another session of Storn's game. Getting my stuff together, I typed my character sheet up to email to Storn and I figured everyone here may be interested. You can find it here: http://www.geocities.com/nuadha_silverhand/basile.html
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives