Storn's Character and Art Thread

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Re: EP 2: Ice & Fire

Postby Storn » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:21 am

arcady wrote:
Storn wrote:...
and we used the expanded lethality chart.
expanded lethality chart?

under optional rules...

Sv Throw
fails 1h
By more than 5 Stun
By more than 10 Disabled
By more than 15 Dying
By more than 20 Dead
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby arcady » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:07 am

EDIT: nevermind. I found it under the heading of Massive Damage. Looking at it, it's not something I'd want for a four color game, but I can see the fit to an agents game.
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blackhawk » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:12 am

Page 128. Option: Massive Damage

Blackhawk
Blackhawk

"Me? I blame the pudding pops."
Blackhawk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby chillrb » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:25 am

Here is a character done for Rob Young, a peruser and poster of these boards. I will let him disclose anything about the character if he wants, but I bet if he gets enuff requests, he'll post the character and stats.

I just got back from vacation and he was sitting in my email box! Storn definitely the best you've done for me :D I'll post Golden Age Cobalt Kid's stats this evening.
chillrb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Evil Toki » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:32 am

Storn you rock man, you kick some butt with that artwork
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Storn » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:21 pm

chillrb wrote:

I just got back from vacation and he was sitting in my email box! Storn definitely the best you've done for me :D I'll post Golden Age Cobalt Kid's stats this evening.

Cool. I hope you would post the stats! Uh, feel free to do it here. If you prefer to do it in your own... that's cool too. I don't really care, just as long as I get to see the character and stats write up.... but I thought I would offer.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

And another commission...

Postby Storn » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:07 pm

... this isn't for superheroes. But I hope folks don't mind me showing it here.

This is for Bob Fletcher. Obviously a sci-fi game based on some small movies that I forget the name of...

Piece is called "Reilly's Luck"

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Re: And another commission...

Postby Albert Deschesne » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:15 pm

Storn wrote:... this isn't for superheroes. But I hope folks don't mind me showing it here.

This is for Bob Fletcher. Obviously a sci-fi game based on some small movies that I forget the name of...

Piece is called "Reilly's Luck"

Nice! So, what do you charge for a piece like that? I've said it before, but it bears repeating -- Damn, I wish I could DRAW for a living... My skillz are all but atrophied!

Yeah, I'm jealous, so...
Albert Deschesne
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stonemaus » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:11 pm

Storn! That's amazing -- really beautiful.

Stone
Stonemaus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Draamal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:15 pm

Wow. Now if only he had a 'cool' ship... :wink: (I'm not a fan of Dash.)
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby SmokestackJones » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:20 pm

Hey Albert,

BTW, check my post for "Floor, God of Plunger." On the bottom, first pic (the one with his logo on it). Your model, man... :green:

-Smokestack Jones
Maker of the Sampo!
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Albert Deschesne » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:56 pm

SmokestackJones wrote:Hey Albert,

BTW, check my post for "Floor, God of Plunger." On the bottom, first pic (the one with his logo on it). Your model, man... :green:

-Smokestack Jones
Maker of the Sampo!

Very cool! Hope you're feeling better real soon!
Albert Deschesne
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Storn » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:16 am

Albert Deschesne wrote:
Storn wrote:

Nice! So, what do you charge for a piece like that? I've said it before, but it bears repeating -- Damn, I wish I could DRAW for a living... My skillz are all but atrophied!

Yeah, I'm jealous, so...

I think the more important question is what would you pay for a piece like that? <g>
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Evil Toki » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:55 am

either way works for me, the artwork kick butt :)
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Black Ops 3: Shadows of Milan

Postby Storn » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:20 am

Last night’s episode was more of a quiet one and definite left turn from the current main plot line. There are no pictures, because I cribbed the picture of the main bad guy off of Renderosity and I dn't want to post something so public w/o the artist's permission. And I can't remember who the artist is to ask for permission.

PCs:
Lei WuLong: James
Lori Watterson (CyberBlade): Neil
Bryan Fury: Eric
Anthony Carlislle (NPC, but in the field)

It started with a de-briefing of Nina Williams. Who revealed that she was created by Mishima Zaibatsu. That she was 6 years old. And she was a clone of Lori (Cyberblade)’s twin, Holly (aka Gunmetal Silk). Anna, Nina’s sister, is a clone of Lori. “Makes for a confusing secret Santa at christmas”, Nina states. Nina has Holly’s memories up to about 19 or 20.
Nina was part of the Black Clouds, which was re-tooling itself from being an enforcer arm of Mishima (and mercenary outfit) to being a real underworld cabal in the Far East. Nina was part of the cooperative exchange between the new Raven and the Black Clouds. Nina went to work with Raven and Reinlock as her boss.
Quite a bit of discussion centers on Mishima’s cloning techniques, which are incorporating crystaltech dirctly into clone empyros...such as Nina and Anna. This is quite different than Malachite’s cloning techniques, which UNTIL just managed to get their hands on Malachite’s huge database {events on Neil’s end as GM}.
Nina wants amnesty for what she knows, which is not a ton, but some is fairly significant and can lead to other avenues of inquiry. The outcome of the request is still undecided by UNTIL brass.

But the team has a new mission. Seems a man has been raping, killing pretty late 20s, brunettes in Milan. 4 victims in a week. Usually, this is not a matter for Black Ops...but the victims bore the energy signature of an UNTIL Heavy Energy Pistol, Mark II. Each victim was hit in the back, subduing her. No sign of force entry. But in the 1st victim’s very expensive apartment complex, UNTIL training and modified chip had bypassed cameras and security that might have picked up the intruder.
Two breaks in the case for the team to follow up on. One, a fashion show 2 days from the briefing is featuring all brunette models. Since two of the victims were models, the connection and the possiblity the perp would show was there.
The other was italian police had three seperate reports of someone skulking on downtown rooftops. One sighting was close to one of the victims apartments. Milan’s rooftops are consistently 4 stories with a few exceptions, making rooftop surveillance easier than in other cities.

The team arrives in Milan. Using covers as reporters for the Belgian Standard (an UNTIL front, but legitimate news magazine gm note: totally made up and based loosly on Germany’s Der Speer mag), a recon of Milan’s conclave, Galleria Vitterio Emanuelle II , where the fashion show is going to be.

Not much happens, but the team starts surveillance near the Galleria and slowly works outward. 10 o’clock, the Galleria starts to close and the cafe goers and bookstore browsers exit the huge building.
But luck is with the team. Lei spots movement on a rooftop and it isn’t one of the other agents. Lei also spots a pretty brunette that the movement seems to be paralleling. The team leaps into action.

Lori jumps across the street to the rooftop where the target might have been spotted. Fury climbs a drain pipe up to the same roof. Lei follows the brunette, where upon she turns into the apartment building and punches a code and walks in. While Anthony hangs back near the Galleria in case this is a feint.
After a bit of looking, Lori spots a man with a wire, commando mask, all black clothing, holster, knife etc etc on the roof. A wire of a listening device is attached to the roof and the perp is listening attently..but Lori scrunches some roof pepples and the man whips around {gm note: the dude rolled a 20! on his Listen and he had a decent Listen skill to begin with.}

He smiles at Lori, evident even thru the commando mask and drops THROUGH the roof. Lori yells over the comm “we have a Phaser!!!” and a whole lot of swearing that I can’t go into because this is a PG-13 thread <g>.

Lei, following the potential victim, follows her up to the top floor (4th). The pretty brunnette opens her lock and door, just as Lori commands Lei to extract the girl. Lei pulls his weapon and yells at the girl to get out of her apartment. She, understandably, freaks as some armed chinese dude is running down the hallway towards her, yelling at her in English.

Then! The desolid perp falls through the roof, blows his initiative roll horribly and messes up.... landing on the floor, behind the sofa, and getting up sheepishly.

Meanwhile, Fury is just holding his postion at the roofline with a chin up. Hearing the comm chatter, he swings down into the balconey and thru the kitchen window of some poor italian woman cooking dinner. Fury is surprisingly polite and excuses himself and walks out the front door. He can hear the screaming of the poor brunette around the corner in the apartment complex hallway.

Lori runs to the edge of the roof and drops down to the balconey below, seeing the back of the perp, the poor woman running down the hallway from Lei and Lei in the doorway.

Lei exclaims’ “you are under arrest”. And the man just doesn’t seem to care. Lei hooks a lamp and throws it with his foot while covering the man. It goes right through the man’s right arm.

The man pulls his UNTIL Mark II Energy Pistol and makes pretty pockmarks on the hall behind the diving and dodging Lei.
Lori, noticing that the man is more solid now, shoots, grazing him on the thigh.

Fury meets a beautiful brunette in the hallway. She is crying hysterically and clings to the large teutonic protector. If she only knew...

Lori, reacts with hardwired speed shoots the man’s Energy Pistol (Neil beat the lightning reflexes of the opponent in an initiative roll). The gun shatters. This guy is good and a pro. He dives with his combat knife out onto the balconey, which passes through Lori and causes intense discomfort, but does not cut her {ghost touch, did 1s}.

Lei makes a futile attempt with a beautifully thrown sofa chair, but the antagonist is already desolid again. And the chair meets the street below. The man waves at Lori and jumps off the balconey in a swan dive.... right through the manhole cover to the sewer. He is gone.

But. Some brilliant detective work turns up finger prints of the man on the shattered pistol. He was an UNTIL field op of Austrian citizenship that was in a coma. A coma that put him and his brother, who were walking across the UNTIL quad 5 years ago when Mentalla struck at UNITE, Paris UNTIL HQ. {The events where March 26, 1997. The current adventure is in 2002. RDU update 16}. Edward Ludwig Strauss was in a german hospital, in a coma for 5 years or so and woke up and disappeared. HIs brother Dorian, remains in a coma at the same hospital. {Gm and player note: Dorian is about to become my newest PC in Neil's game... he has champions stats}

Mentalla was a brunette. The connection is made. Somehow, Edward woked up changed... exhibiting paranormal powers and psychotic spree killing desires. Mentalla is dead and beyond Edward’s reach. So beautiful women are now his proxies.

And that is where the evening ended.... stay tuned. More in 2 weeks.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Other notes...

Postby RDU Neil » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:46 am

Storn should be congratulated on getting ANY kind of game out of last night's goofball fiasco. I think we were all tired, and the jokes, all really bad, were flying. We spent more time laughing than gaming...

... "I'll kill you last!" turns out to be how Brian Fury acts when he's trying to be NICE to somebody. (Eric was in rare form.) :lol:

On a gaming note, it was very satisfying for me, as a GM, for Storn to play off of something I'd run 6 YEARS AGO! Just for these moments, when the world I've documented for so long inspires new adventures and characters... well it's just worth it for me. 8) Really drives that sense of continuity in gaming that is never as complete in the comics as I wish it was.

James' "Furniture Fightin' Fu" with Lei was excellent as well. Great visuals in a very brief, intense, combat.

Thanks Storn (and Eric and James) for a really good game.

Neil
RDU Neil
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nuadha » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:15 pm

"She, understandably, freaks as some armed chinese dude is running down the hallway towards her, yelling at her in English. "

SO, this was a racial thing? Is that how this is going to work? :wink:

I shouted "POLICE!" first. She didn't have to freak out that badly. Then she runs to the psychotic German cyborg for protection!? I hate Europe.

Seriously, good game last night Storn and good job dealing with all of the silliness.

Oh, and for everyone else on the board, I guess I should introduce myself. In case you haven't figured this out, this is James, Storn's third victim....errr...player. I'll try and pop in on occassion.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Storn » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:52 pm

Nuadha wrote:"She, understandably, freaks as some armed chinese

I shouted "POLICE!" first. She didn't have to freak out that badly. Then she runs to the psychotic German cyborg for protection!? I hate Europe.

Uh...James in fact, you did not yell "Police" til you confronted the bad guy. I was listening very closely at that point. You yelled at her to get out of her apartment. In english.

But the scene worked. It ain't a racial thing, but the unexpectedness from her POV of a chinese man in her Milano apartment building... and oh yeah.... ARMED.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Storn » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:56 pm

On a gaming note, it was very satisfying for me, as a GM, for Storn to play off of something I'd run 6 YEARS AGO! Just for these moments, when the world I've documented for so long inspires new adventures and characters... well it's just worth it for me. Really drives that sense of continuity in gaming that is never as complete in the comics as I wish it was.

Imagine how it is to be handed a vast world and told to go play? Its like legos and tinker toys combined together. Its great. Also, the cooperation and limitations of the world (I can't just go willy-nilly and do stuff) makes me think through problems. And I think come up with better adventures.

Art tends to be better when you limit yourself, by palette, by materials, by scope... I think the same thing extends to role-playing. I'm limiting myself to superspies in RDU.

I just hope you guys are having fun. I am.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Hello!

Postby Lara Croft » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:04 pm

Welcome Nuadha (James).

Sounds like you have had an interesting gaming session with Storn. Not surprising that Storn's game would be all at sixes and sevens. He seems to have an ace imagination.

Now about that comment about hating Europe...

Lara Croft
Duchess of Saint Bridget
Lara Croft
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nuadha » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:15 pm

I meant to shout "POLICE!" Doesn't that count for anything?

Hi Lara! Actually, James likes Europe a lot for someone who has never been there. Lei, on the other hand, is beginning to hate Europe. If UNTIL didn't have such good benefits, he'd quit and move back to Hong Kong. Since he's moved to Europe, he spent months at a sucky desk job and when he finally gets a field assignment, he's assigned to work with two psychotic cyborgs. If he hadn't faked being sick, they would have shipped him off to the arctic! :)
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

storn

Postby rictor » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:22 pm

very nice man.......this sounds like one of the coolest games ever

Rictor
no worth while person owns less then 500 albums - Nick Hornby
rictor
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Hello!

Postby Storn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:36 am

Lara Croft wrote:Welcome Nuadha (James).

Sounds like you have had an interesting gaming session with Storn. Not surprising that Storn's game would be all at sixes and sevens. He seems to have an ace imagination.

Now about that comment about hating Europe...

Well, I love setting games in Europe. I have only been to italy. My aunt lived in Milano, so I was actually somewhat familiar with the city to run stuff in. I've got stories of Vienna from my Grandfather who was a student in 1939 there. I roomed with a Swiss baker from Bern (haven't set a session there yet....hmmm...). But most of my European adventures are a bit of research on google.

But Europe gives me so much to work with. It fascinates me, to think of superheroes flying thru piazzas and superspies shadowing suspects on rooftops of trams. The architecture suggests different tactical situation. I've lived in NYC... it is the archetype of every superhero city (well, 95%) we see in comics. l like the different landscape of urbanism that Europe can offer.

Here is where art history can seep in as well. Manet's Paris is still somewhat there. Monet's Normandy countryside is definitely still there. So much of Europe, I've absorbd subconciously from my own profession. Of course, it is an outsider's perception...and much of it wrong... but totally adequate for a role playing session.

And England in RDU? It is truly a mystical isle. But I'll let Neil tell you about that.

But the upcoming fashion show (the backdrop in the current storyline) is by an English designer, who's theme is "21st century response to the rebirth of Magic in England". All these peasent outfits, using hi-tech fabrics and cuts. Goofy, but just at the edge of plausible if we really did live in a world like that.
Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Storn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:49 am

Here is my new Champions character. Geist. An Austrian who wakes from a coma, put there by Mentalla, with powerful spirit magics. And a tough time discerning the land of the living from the realm of the dead.

This is for Neil's game down the road a bit. But I get a chance to play him this weekend briefly before continuing on wiht our current super martial artists game, the Dragons.

If you are interested in his Champions stats, it is in this thread over at the Hero boards;
http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthr ... genumber=4

Storn A. Cook
Visual Storytelling
Storn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nuadha » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:28 am

I've been itching to visit England in the RDU ever since I joined the group and Neil told me the world's history. There's not much chance of a visit in the M&M game unfortunately, since I'm teamed up with two cyborgs.
Nuadha
Cohort
Cohort

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives