What era does everyone play in?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

What era does everyone play in?

Postby fjw70 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 am

Or do you use ASOIAF RPG rules for a different setting?
fjw70
Bystander
Bystander

Re: What era does everyone play in?

Postby rulandor » Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 am

We are going to start the chronicle in 298 after Landing.

Using the original setting.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Mon May 30, 2011 7:05 am

My group began play a few years prior to Game of Thrones. It is now less than a year until the book timeline kicks off.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Rayeti » Mon May 30, 2011 12:08 pm

I started mine ~5 years before the books start, so right after robert's rebellion is settled down.
Rayeti
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Archon007 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Jon Snow wrote:My group began play a few years prior to Game of Thrones. It is now less than a year until the book timeline kicks off.

Same. This gave us freedom but also a great sense of urgency and purpose.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Iron Emmett » Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 pm

The year 285, 2 years after Robert's Rebellion (and about 13 years before the events of "A Game of Thrones").
Iron Emmett
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Imp » Tue May 31, 2011 1:37 am

3 years prior to the timeline and events in the books
Imp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Barristan » Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 am

Ive started my players at the Tourney of Harrenhal about 15 years before the novels begin :D

Most of them have read the books, so it gives them an opportunity to explore the 10 days of contest and the events therein.

Once I have finished that, I will skip forward to Roberts Rebellion, then Greyjoys rebellion after that.

I have told the players though, that their actions could change the canon storyline.....so the events in the novels may never come to pass.
Barristan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kariggi » Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 am

I started them 1 year before the books, but Jon Aryn has just passed and (since they are now watching the tv show) I've told the character with Third Eye that what he sees in the show, are dreams of a possible future (one without their house in it).
kariggi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sturn » Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 am

Been doing some work (see link in signature) to start a campaign a few years before Aegon Targaryen came ashore at the future King's Landing. The Seven Kingdoms are still the Seven Kingdoms and after a long while of adventuring the players may get to experience the Targaryens conquering Westeros.
Sturn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby NeoSamurai » Tue May 31, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm gonna be starting my game one year before the events in the books begin and try to run my players alongside the series.
NeoSamurai
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Irontruth » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 pm

My campaign was set during Aegon's Conquest. While we were making decisions, I joking said to them that they should be working for the Targaryens and the players just ran with it.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby LordValorna » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 am

We play at the beginning of The Hedge Knight novel, but PC don't take part Ashford Tourney. The couple comes from Stormlands (Cape Wrath) and be born into enemies Houses. We begin with the wedding of the two PC : they have to create peace between their families or it ends in a bloodbath.
LordValorna
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zeroed » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

We played in the regular era taking place a bit before and during the events of the books. However, we strayed away quite a lot from the canon story, as the players became rather influential and change a lot of the events.

Now that this campaign is over, we started a new campaign for the second generation (the children of the original characters), set about 15 years later, but it's more adventure-driven than usual for a SIFRP campaign since most of the characters are bastards and not actual members of any household.

We are also planning to play a campaign set before Aegon's Conquest, using Sturn's Before Aegon's Landing Campaign Guide.
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby SerAardvark » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 am

We play two years before The Hedge Knight 207 AL. Like Sturn, I'm interested in doing a campaign guide for the time period as it has many themes inc ommon with the default time but with enough differences so people will only have vague ideas of the metaplot.
SerAardvark
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Akora » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

My campaign took place a few years after the War of the Ninepenny Kings. This was a pretty good choice because many of the personalities from the novels were alive but it didn't seem like we were playing within the novels.

For my next campaign, I am going to set it up about 100 years before Aegon's Conquest. I want to really explore the setting itself without having to deal with the personalities of the characters present in the novels. Given that each Kingdom is actually a Kingdom, this will present a lot of potential for political intrigue, war, and overall conflict.
Akora
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Paedrig » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 am

Our group operates around 1/2 year or so before the beginning of the books.
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Slynt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am

Reading this I wish I had time to play this game and actually get to test out the rules system and especially the Intrigue and Warfare rules. I'd like to run a campaign where the players had characters all over Westeros, giving the game a structure similar to the books (shifting POVs); say, the players had some characters being marched to the Wall as raw recruits, but also at the same time they had a noble House in the Westerlands about to be assaulted by Ironmen reavers, while at the same time playing a troupe of mummers on their way through the Reach to entertain at Highgarden, while having a cast of characters down in Dorne, and a group of Freys :green:
Slynt
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ser Moryn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 am

My campaign is pre-Targ invasion, at a time when the seven kingdoms were seven disparate kingdoms and contact with the Valyrians was one of long-distance trade. I didn't want any concerns at all about any of the characters, relationships, houses or plot elements from the books to have any impact on my player's actions. So far it's been working out extremely well - were I to do it again, I would make more changes to weapon and armor availability and price, but for the most part technology-wise, things are unchanged.

Here's a run-through of my campaign if anyone's interested.
Nothing is simple, and little is true.
Ser Moryn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Skeeve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

Our crew started just before the Tourney for Joffrey's Name Day (Using Peril), and we are currently adventuring while Ned is heading south to King's Landing. We've played over a year and going strong.

Campaigns so far:
Starter
Peril at King's Landing
Wedding Knight
Trouble in Pembrook
Bonds of Blood & Honor
The Bear, The Heir, & The Maiden Fair (current)
.... and I'm attempting to prolong this last one until the House Chronicler comes out. :P

Most of these are on Obsidian Portal if it helps give any ideas...
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns ... aiden-fair
Team Us
http://www.teamusfearus.com
Skeeve
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rdjanssen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 pm

We started about 1 year before A Game of Thrones.

I, personally, wanted to play a hundred years in the past or around the time of The Hedge Knight. I also didn't want to play in the North. I was over rule by all my players on both these points.
rdjanssen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Suunfibre » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 pm

I actually started about the time of the campiegn setting, but however i used a butterfly effect that happened years before to change the face of westeros. I changed on thing at first and decided how the ripples played out. I started this by changing one event. A Lannister death of course cause like the intro said go stab a lannister so i did. I decided instead of The imp surviving and the mother dying that i would reverse it. She lived he died. So greatful his wife lived tywinn is a slightly different man. He decides to quit being hand earlier. having a wife and mother for the children jamie and cersci's relationship is differnet. The mother insists on seperatting them. Having Jamie fostered for a time with house tully. He notices littlefinger's manipulative behaviour towards the young and pretty lysa tully and challenges him to a duel, unlike Brandon when he doesn't stop after he's clearly defeated he doesn't hold back. Peter Balish dead. Also as tywinn is a more loving kinder person seeing gregor's mistreatment of sandor he has the boy killed as he is a monster. And one major change Robert dies on the trident from his injuries. The Prince took a lesson from his uncle and poisoned his blade. The Lannister's still attack king's landing but not as a seprate force, but as part of a plan of eddard's. The princess Elia of dorne isn't killed. Her kids aren't killed either. With robert dead Ned is made king and story has progressed up to the time of about the end of book one. And the Major plot begins. Aegon stabs Jon arryn nearly killing him and kindaps, his sister mother and step brother. Vyseys fled dragonstone and has been gathering strength accross the narrow sea. He attacked trying to get back his sister for marrying but due to a debt owed my group had a knight there and got her out a secret stair. So now we begin the war plot of my story The dragon vs's the Crowned wolf
Suunfibre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BrianD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 am

I'm working on setting a campaign during the tumultuous period following the death of Aegon the Conqueror and the reigns of his sons Aenys and Maegor the Cruel. Got another idea thread going about it, check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9980
BrianD
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pytorb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm running a game set about 2 years after the Redgrass Fields, currently at the Court of Daeron II, where the question Red Dragon or Black is almost a challenge to a duel to the wrong people. In addition there's so many new faces at Court, so many people covering up past actions plus the formal adoption of Dorne into the Seven Kingdoms with the reaction of Dornish, Stormlands and Reach noble families, that the opportunities for intrigue are amost endless...
Pytorb
Booster
Booster

Postby Jace Snow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I like just after Roberts Rebellion. Still alot of bitterness and some petty fighting and by the time things get settled Greyjoys rebellion starts. My last game ended right after book 1 with the players staging a coup for their Lord Stannis and saving Eddard in the throne room. I am curious to see what my new group of players can do in the same 15 year time period.
"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act. -Jamie Lannister-
Jace Snow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG