Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Sun May 29, 2011 6:33 pm

HI All,

By comparing the rulebook prices to a couple of online sources of medieval prices (and taking thirty years around 1400 as my price point) then adjusting for inconsistencies and game balance I've come up with the price list below.

Please let me know if anything doesn't feel right...


Market – Food

Ale, gallon 3 cp
Barley, lb 0.5 cp
Bread, large loaf 1cp
Eggs, 1 dozen 2 cp
Beans, lb 0.5 cp
Beef, lb 2.5 cp
Beer (strong), gallon 8 cp
Butter, lb 3 cp
Cheese, lb 1.5 cp
Cider, gallon 2 cp
Cream, gallon 12 cp
Flour, lb 1 cp
Herring, lb 4 cp
Honey, lb 37 cp
Hops, lb 6 cp
Milk, gallon 3 cp
Mustard, lb 50 cp
Mutton, lb 2.5 cp
Oatmeal, lb 0.5 cp
Oats, lb 0.5 cp
Peas, lb 0.5 cp
Pork, lb 2.5 cp
Raisins/currants, lb 10 cp
Rice, lb 3 cp
Rye, lb 0.5 cp
Salted fish, barrel 12.5 cp
Suet, lb 3.5 cp
Sugar, lb 45 cp
Vinegar, gallon 32 cp
Wheat, lb 0.5 cp
Wine (Arbor Red), gallon 4 cp
Wine (Dornish White), gallon 2 cp
Wine-Port, gallon 2 cp


Market – General Goods
Barrel, 9 cp
Bottle, 12 cp
Brass Pot, 1 ss 16 cp
Bricks, 100 bricks 25 cp
Bucket, 18 cp
Candle Beeswax, pair 4 cp
Candle Tallow, pair 2 cp
Ceramic Pot, 1.5 cp
Charcoal, sack 3 cp
Chest, 18 cp
Coal, sack 7 cp
Firewood, bushel 1.5 cp
Fishing Net, (1 person), 1 ss 28 cp
Fishing Rod with hook and line, 1 ss
Flask, 2 ss
Flint and Steel, 2 cp
Hay, sack 3.5 cp
Iron Stake, 4 cp
Mattress, 6 cp
Nails, lb 12 cp
Pillow, 1.5 cp
Pouch (belt), 8 cp
Purse, 3.5 cp
Rope, hemp 10 yds 20 cp
Saddlebags, 1 pair 1 ss
Sheet, 12 cp
Spade/shovel, piece 15 cp
Torch, 1 cp
Towel, 18 cp
Vat, 12 cp
Waterskin, 8 cp
Whetstone, 3 cp


Market – Livestock
Aurochs, 13 ss
Chicken, 4 cp
Cow, 9 ss
Dog, untrained pup 3 ss
Dog, trained adult 11 ss
Goat, 1 ss
Goose, 18 cp
Ox, 13 ss
Pig (best in market), 2 ss
Sheep, 1 ss


Market – Trade Goods
Cloth – Cotton, 1lb (1 sq yard) 2 ss
Cloth – Linen, 1 lb (1 sq yard) 1 ss
Cloth – Silk, 1 lb (2 sq yards) 8 ss
Cloth – Wool, 1 lb (1 sq yard) 1 ss 28 cp
Cotton, raw, lb 28 cp
Cinnamon or Cloves, lb 22 cp
Ginger, lb 36 cp
Iron ingots, lb 6 cp
Pepper, 1lb 1 ss 16 cp
Pewter, lb 10 cp
Saffron, lb 21 ss
Salt, 1lb 3 ss
Silk Thread, lb 23 cp
Tea Leaves, lb 4 cp
Wool, lb 10 cp


Clothing
Artisan's/Craftsman's Garb (cheap), 1 set 1 ss
Artisan's/Craftsman's Garb (expensive), 1 set 5 ss
Boots, 1 pair 18 cp
Chemise, 28 cp
Courtier's Garb (cheap), 1 set 10 ss
Courtier's Garb (expensive), 1 set 100 ss
Entertainer's Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Godsworn's Vestments, 1 set 2 ss
Hat, 12 cp
Maester's Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Noble's Garb (cheap), 1 set 100 ss
Noble's Garb (expensive), 1 set 160 ss
Northern Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Peasant's Garb, 1 set 1 ss
Shoes, 1 pair 12 cp
Traveller's Garb, 1 set 3 ss
Tunic, 2 ss
Workgloves, pair 28 cp


Merchant's or Craftsman's Goods
Backpack, 1 ss
Book, 11 ss
Craftsman's Tools (expert, largest), 1 set 200 ss
Craftsman's Tools (expert, smallest), 1 set 50 ss
Craftsman's Tools (ordinary, largest), 1 set 20 ss
Craftsman's Tools (ordinary, smallest), 1 set 5 ss
Myrish Far-Eyes, 1 gd 90 ss
Ink, black one vial 20 cp
Lamp, 10 cp
Lantern, 2 ss
Maester's Kit (tower), 1 2 gd 80 ss
Maester's Kit (travelling, excluding herbs), 50 ss
Myrish Lens, 20 ss
Oil, 1 pint 8 cp
Paper-foolscap, quire (24 sheets) 26 cp
Parchment, dozen 1 ss 28 cp
Rope, hemp 100 yds, 2 ss
Sachet (scented), 1 ss
Scents, 1 lotion or powder 1 ss
Soap, lb 1 ss
Spinning Wheel, 30 cp
Tent, pavilion, 30 ss
Tent, soldiers 5 ss


Musical Instruments
Bagpipes, 8 ss
Drum, 20 cp
Dulcimer, 22 ss
Fiddle, 10 ss
Flute, 10 ss
Harp, 18 ss
Horn, 3 ss
Hurdy-Gurdy, 10 ss
Lute, 22 ss
Pipes, Two Handed 4 ss
Pipes and Tabor, 3 ss 28 cp
Psaltery, 20 ss
Sacbut, 3 ss 28 cp
Shawn, 10 ss
Viol, 18 ss


Services
Apprenticeship Fees, person 1 ss
Bed at an inn for a night, 1 person 6 cp
Feed, 1 day 2 cp
Food at an inn, 1 person 3 cp
Guild Membership Fees/Freeman Payment, 12 ss
Rent (cottage), 1 year 3 ss
Rent (craftsman's shop with flat above), 1 year 12 ss
Rent (merchant's house), 1 year 26 ss
Stabling, 1 day 2 cp


Horses
Courser 1 gd 90 ss
Destrier 2 gd 80 ss
Garron 20 ss
Mule 6 ss
Palfrey 75 ss
Pony 25 ss
Rounsey 25 ss
Sand Steed 2 gd 180 ss
Stot 25 ss


Vehicles
Sled, 5 ss
Wagon, 20 ss
Wayn (cart), 8 ss
Chariot, 30 ss


Wages
Wages, Archers, day 6 cp
Wages, Armoured Infantry, day 12 cp
Wages, building labourer, day 6 cp
Wages, craft, day 9 cp
Wages, farm, day 6 cp
Wages, Infantry, day 4 cp
Wages, Knights, day 24 cp
Wages, Mason, day 12 cp
Wages, Master Mason, day 24 cp


Weapons – Axes
Bardiche 40 ss
Battleaxe 5 ss
Crowbill 6 ss
Hand Axe 3 ss
Labrys 10 ss
Long Axe 50 ss
Mattock 5 ss
Woodsman's Axe 4 ss


Weapons – Bludgeons
Ball and Chain 4 ss
Club/Cudgel 2 ss
Flail 10 ss
Mace 5 ss
Maul 8 ss
Morningstar 8 ss
Quarterstaff 10 cp
Warhammer 6 ss


Weapons – Brawling
Knife 28 cp
Whip 28 cp


Weapons – Fencing
Braavosi Blade* 160 ss
Left-Handed Dagger* 65 ss
Small Sword* 140 ss


Weapons – Long Blades
Arakh* 2 gd
Bastard Sword 70ss
Estoc 100 ss
Greatsword 80 ss
Longsword 50 ss


Weapons – Pole-Arms
Bill 10 ss
Halberd 10 ss
Peasant Tool 28 cp
Pole-Axe 8 ss


Weapons – Shields
Buckler 2 ss
Shield 3 ss
Shield, Large 4 ss
Shield, Tower 6 ss


Weapons – Short Blades
Cleaver 1 ss 28 cp
Dagger 2 ss
Dirk 2 ss
Short Sword 3 ss
Stiletto/Poniard 10 ss


Weapons – Spears
Boar Spear 4 ss
Frog Spear 1 ss 28 cp
Pike 8 ss
Spear 2 ss
Tourney Lance 3 ss
Trident 4 ss
War Lance 6 ss


Weapons – Bows
Bow, Dothraki Double-Curved* 1 gd
Bow, Double-Curved 25 ss
Bow, Hunting 5 ss
Longbow 45 ss
Arrows, 12 28 cp


Weapons – Crossbows
Crossbow, Light 15 ss
Crossbow, Medium 45 ss
Crossbow, Heavy 95 ss
Crossbow, Myrish* 200 ss
Quarrels, 12 28 cp


Weapons – Thrown
Dagger 2 ss
Frog Spear 1ss 28 cp
Hand Axe 3 ss
Javelin 2 ss
Net 3 ss
Sling 5 cp
Staff-Sling 20 cp
Sling bullets, 12 14 cp


Armour
Robes 3 ss
Padded armour 15 ss
Leather, Soft armour 30 ss
Leather, Hard armour 40 ss
Bone or Wood armour* 100 ss
Ring armour 60 ss
Hides armour* 150 ss
Mail armour 80 ss
Breastplate armour 120 ss
Scale/Coin armour 60 ss
Splint armour 100 ss
Brigandine armour 120 ss
Half-Plate armour 1 gd
Plate armour 1 gd 90 ss


Barding
Leather Barding 110 ss
Ring Barding 1 gd 30 ss
Scale/Coin Barding 1 gd 30 ss
Mail Barding 1 gd 110 ss
Brigandine Barding 2 gd 60 ss
Plate Barding 5 gd 150 ss


Poisons and Healing Preparations
Basilisk Blood 5 gd – 10 gd
Basilisk Venom 5 gd – 10 gd
Firemilk 25 ss
Greycap 25 ss
Milk of the Poppy 200 ss
Milk of the Poppy, Large Dose 500 ss
Myrish Fire 100 ss
Nightshade 100 ss
Pennyroyal, Mild 5 ss
Pennyroyal, Strong 10 ss
Strangler 150 gd
Sweetsleep, Grains 10 ss
Sweetsleep, Pinch 120 ss
Sweetsleep, 3 pinches 360 ss
Tansy, Mild 5 ss
Tansy, Strong 15 ss
Tears of Lys 100 gd
Wasting Potion 50 ss
Widow's Blood 5 gd
Wolfsbane 100 ss
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Archon007 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 am

You can down load mine pricing including all weapon and armor stats in one chart at http://www.mediafire.com/?j9u3zjav2s346i6

I based my numbers on the history of King Edward the 1st who paid a knight 2 silver a day.

According to ARMIES AND WARFARE IN THE MIDDLE AGES, The English Experience, by Michael Prestwich, an order was issued in 1241 that anyone in possession of land worth 20 pounds a year was to become a knight.

Under Edward I a knight was paid 2s per day and an infantryman 2d (for those not familiar with the old English monetary system, an infantryman thus received 1/12th of a knight's pay). At the start of the Hundred Years War Edward III offered double pay from July 1338 until November 1339 before reverting to the former level.




TABLE 7–2: VALUES OF TRADE GOODS
Aurochs 13 ss
Bread, Large Loaf 1 cp
Chicken 4 cp
Cinnamon or Cloves (1 lb.) 2 ss
Coal, (10lb) 1 ss
Copper, (1lb) 100 cp
Cow 9 ss
Dog (untrained pup) 3 ss
Dog (trained adult) 11 ss
Eggs, 1 dozen 1 cp
Flour, rye, 10lbs 1 ss
Flour, white wheat, 10lbs 2 ss
Ginger or Pepper, 1 lb. 2 ss
Goat, 1 1 ss
Gold, 1lb 50 gp
Iron, 1lb 3 cp
Linen, 1 lb. (sq. yard) 8 cp
Ox, 1 13 ss
Pig (best in market), 1 2 ss
Saffron, 1 lb. 20 ss
Salt, 1 lb. 1 ss
Sheep, 1 1 ss
Silk, 1/2 lb. (sq. yard) 5 ss
Silver, 1lb 100 ss
Steel, 1lb 8 cp
Tea Leaves, 1 lb. 4 cp

Battleaxe 5 ss
Crowbill 6 ss
Hand Axe 3 ss
Longaxe 50 ss
Mattock 5 ss
Woodsman’s Axe 4 ss
Ball and Chain 4 ss
Club/Cudgel 3 lb. 2 ss
Flail 10 ss
Mace 5 ss
Maul 8 ss
Morningstar 8 ss
Quarterstaff 1 ss
Warhammer 10 ss
Knife 1 ss
Whip . 1 ss
Braavosi Blade 250 ss
Left-handed Dagger 5 ss
Small Sword 25 ss
Arakh 100 ss
Bastard Sword 65 ss
Greatsword 90 ss
Longsword 30 ss
Halberd 15 ss
Peasant Tool 1 ss
Pole-axe 8 ss
Buckler 15 ss
Shield 20 ss
Shield, Large 30 ss
Shield, Tower 40 ss
Dagger 2 ss
Dirk 2 ss
Stiletto 3 ss
Boar Spear 4 ss
Frog Spear 3 ss
Pike 8 ss
Spear 5 ss
Tourney Lance 4 ss
Trident 3 ss
War Lance 6 ss
Bow, Double-curved 50 ss
Bow, Hunting 10 ss
Longbow 100 ss
Ammunition (12) 1 ss
Crossbow, Light 15 ss
Crossbow, Medium 40 ss
Crossbow, Heavy 100 ss
Crossbow, Myrish 500 ss
Ammunition (12) 1 ss
Frog Spear 3 ss
Hand Axe 3 ss
Javelin 2 ss
Knife 1 ss
Net 5 ss
Sling 1 ss
Spear 5 ss
Trident 3 ss

Clothing Varies
Robes 2 ss
Padded 25 ss
Leather, Soft 50 ss
Leather, Hard 100 ss
Bone or Wood 50 ss
Ring 150 ss
Hides 75 ss
Mail 200 ss
Breastplate 200 ss
Scale/Coin 250 ss
Splint 50 lb. 300 ss
Brigandine 350 ss
Half-plate 600 ss
Plate 1,000 ss
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Jon Snow » Mon May 30, 2011 5:16 am

Well done pytorb - Very nice. Many thanks.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
User avatar
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Ghostwalker » Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Amazing work, thank you!

Are the tables in the book broken/unrealistic somehow? I haven't given them a closer look but I see major differences between your table and originals, especially for weapons & armor. I'm preparing a campaign now, but still haven't run it.
Ghostwalker
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:39 am

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Mon May 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Thank you to you both and to Archon007 for posting thier own version, it was fun and interesting to do. I will have to cross reference Archon007's list and update mine accordingly.

The difference between the price of identical items in Copper Pieces and English Pence was such that I multiplied all Medieval prices by three to get them close to the Copper Piece prices. I then still had to drop some ofthe things that were just too highly priced in the rulebook by a factor of between 2 and 10. These were Weapons, Armour, Horses and some trading goods. (There are also some house-ruled weapons in the price lists that I will have to post stats and descriptions for at some point.)

Of course this now means that the starting cash (ten times a status roll in Gold Dragons) may be too generous as some of the most exspensive items have got cheaper. This could either be a good thing as it means that high status characters can equip thier entourage, or they could buy more than one Court outfit, or they could invest in higher quality equipment, etc. Alternatively the starting cash roll could be reduced to something like (status roll multiplied by the highest of status ability, fighting ability or theivery ability).
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Archon007 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes it is too high. In my game starting characters get status roll x 100 silver stags.

I also adjusted the wealth rewards and house wealth to accommodated the changes.

Rewards were changed to this:

Challenge Coin* (ss)
Minor 2,100 / 1,050 / 525
Moderate 4,200 / 2,100 / 1,050
Major 8,400 / 4,200 / 2,100

For every 100 gold dragons invested the house’s Wealth resource increases by 1 up to a maximum of 40. Thereafter, every 500 gold dragons invested increases the Wealth resource by 1.

Ghostwalker wrote:the book broken/unrealistic somehow?


Yes they are way off. For example the HBO series last nights episode the father sends 30,000 armed troops with Jamie. Even if you say the were ill equipped with just spears and leather that would run 64,285 GOLD. Think about that number. Now if 5,000 were knights and 25,000 infantry that would cost 136,904 GOLD. That is just long sword and plate and spears and leather.

The weapon and armor cost are so far off it was really poorly thought out.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Mon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Pytorb wrote:Of course this now means that the starting cash (ten times a status roll in Gold Dragons) may be too generous as some of the most exspensive items have got cheaper. This could either be a good thing as it means that high status characters can equip thier entourage, or they could buy more than one Court outfit, or they could invest in higher quality equipment, etc. Alternatively the starting cash roll could be reduced to something like (status roll multiplied by the highest of status ability, fighting ability or theivery ability).


Oops you can tell I did't type that with the rulebook to hand as starting cash is just a status test in Gold Dragons not 10 x a status test in Gold Gragons... In which case my starting cash may be (status roll multiplied by the highest of status ability, fighting ability or theivery ability multiplied by 20) Silver Stags.

Personally I don't use the cash rewards part of the experience system. Either I will build a cash reward into the adventure or my players will negotiate thier own reward (like half the next flax crop from a house for clearing out mercenaries from thier castle which had been overrun by mercenaries).
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Archon007 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Pytorb wrote:Personally I don't use the cash rewards part of the experience system. Either I will build a cash reward into the adventure or my players will negotiate thier own reward (like half the next flax crop from a house for clearing out mercenaries from thier castle which had been overrun by mercenaries).


Yes, this is better. I just like to have a rough idea of cash value. I do really love your crop idea though. I will have to steal it :D
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:02 am

Pytorb wrote:HI All,

By comparing the rulebook prices to a couple of online sources of medieval prices (and taking thirty years around 1400 as my price point) then adjusting for inconsistencies and game balance I've come up with the price list below.

Please let me know if anything doesn't feel right...


Market – Food

Ale, gallon 3 cp
Barley, lb 0.5 cp
Bread, large loaf 1cp
Eggs, 1 dozen 2 cp
Beans, lb 0.5 cp
Beef, lb 2.5 cp
Beer (strong), gallon 8 cp
Butter, lb 3 cp
Cheese, lb 1.5 cp
Cider, gallon 2 cp
Cream, gallon 12 cp
Flour, lb 1 cp
Herring, lb 4 cp
Honey, lb 37 cp
Hops, lb 6 cp
Milk, gallon 3 cp
Mustard, lb 50 cp
Mutton, lb 2.5 cp
Oatmeal, lb 0.5 cp
Oats, lb 0.5 cp
Peas, lb 0.5 cp
Pork, lb 2.5 cp
Raisins/currants, lb 10 cp
Rice, lb 3 cp
Rye, lb 0.5 cp
Salted fish, barrel 12.5 cp
Suet, lb 3.5 cp
Sugar, lb 45 cp
Vinegar, gallon 32 cp
Wheat, lb 0.5 cp
Wine (Arbor Red), gallon 4 cp
Wine (Dornish White), gallon 2 cp
Wine-Port, gallon 2 cp


Market – General Goods
Barrel, 9 cp
Bottle, 12 cp
Brass Pot, 1 ss 16 cp
Bricks, 100 bricks 25 cp
Bucket, 18 cp
Candle Beeswax, pair 4 cp
Candle Tallow, pair 2 cp
Ceramic Pot, 1.5 cp
Charcoal, sack 3 cp
Chest, 18 cp
Coal, sack 7 cp
Firewood, bushel 1.5 cp
Fishing Net, (1 person), 1 ss 28 cp
Fishing Rod with hook and line, 1 ss
Flask, 2 ss
Flint and Steel, 2 cp
Hay, sack 3.5 cp
Iron Stake, 4 cp
Mattress, 6 cp
Nails, lb 12 cp
Pillow, 1.5 cp
Pouch (belt), 8 cp
Purse, 3.5 cp
Rope, hemp 10 yds 20 cp
Saddlebags, 1 pair 1 ss
Sheet, 12 cp
Spade/shovel, piece 15 cp
Torch, 1 cp
Towel, 18 cp
Vat, 12 cp
Waterskin, 8 cp
Whetstone, 3 cp


Market – Livestock
Aurochs, 13 ss
Chicken, 4 cp
Cow, 9 ss
Dog, untrained pup 3 ss
Dog, trained adult 11 ss
Goat, 1 ss
Goose, 18 cp
Ox, 13 ss
Pig (best in market), 2 ss
Sheep, 1 ss


Market – Trade Goods
Cloth – Cotton, 1lb (1 sq yard) 2 ss
Cloth – Linen, 1 lb (1 sq yard) 1 ss
Cloth – Silk, 1 lb (2 sq yards) 8 ss
Cloth – Wool, 1 lb (1 sq yard) 1 ss 28 cp
Cotton, raw, lb 28 cp
Cinnamon or Cloves, lb 22 cp
Ginger, lb 36 cp
Iron ingots, lb 6 cp
Pepper, 1lb 1 ss 16 cp
Pewter, lb 10 cp
Saffron, lb 21 ss
Salt, 1lb 3 ss
Silk Thread, lb 23 cp
Tea Leaves, lb 4 cp
Wool, lb 10 cp


Clothing
Artisan's/Craftsman's Garb (cheap), 1 set 1 ss
Artisan's/Craftsman's Garb (expensive), 1 set 5 ss
Boots, 1 pair 18 cp
Chemise, 28 cp
Courtier's Garb (cheap), 1 set 10 ss
Courtier's Garb (expensive), 1 set 100 ss
Entertainer's Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Godsworn's Vestments, 1 set 2 ss
Hat, 12 cp
Maester's Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Noble's Garb (cheap), 1 set 100 ss
Noble's Garb (expensive), 1 set 160 ss
Northern Garb, 1 set 4 ss
Peasant's Garb, 1 set 1 ss
Shoes, 1 pair 12 cp
Traveller's Garb, 1 set 3 ss
Tunic, 2 ss
Workgloves, pair 28 cp


Merchant's or Craftsman's Goods
Backpack, 1 ss
Book, 11 ss
Craftsman's Tools (expert, largest), 1 set 200 ss
Craftsman's Tools (expert, smallest), 1 set 50 ss
Craftsman's Tools (ordinary, largest), 1 set 20 ss
Craftsman's Tools (ordinary, smallest), 1 set 5 ss
Myrish Far-Eyes, 1 gd 90 ss
Ink, black one vial 20 cp
Lamp, 10 cp
Lantern, 2 ss
Maester's Kit (tower), 1 2 gd 80 ss
Maester's Kit (travelling, excluding herbs), 50 ss
Myrish Lens, 20 ss
Oil, 1 pint 8 cp
Paper-foolscap, quire (24 sheets) 26 cp
Parchment, dozen 1 ss 28 cp
Rope, hemp 100 yds, 2 ss
Sachet (scented), 1 ss
Scents, 1 lotion or powder 1 ss
Soap, lb 1 ss
Spinning Wheel, 30 cp
Tent, pavilion, 30 ss
Tent, soldiers 5 ss


Musical Instruments
Bagpipes, 8 ss
Drum, 20 cp
Dulcimer, 22 ss
Fiddle, 10 ss
Flute, 10 ss
Harp, 18 ss
Horn, 3 ss
Hurdy-Gurdy, 10 ss
Lute, 22 ss
Pipes, Two Handed 4 ss
Pipes and Tabor, 3 ss 28 cp
Psaltery, 20 ss
Sacbut, 3 ss 28 cp
Shawn, 10 ss
Viol, 18 ss


Services
Apprenticeship Fees, person 1 ss
Bed at an inn for a night, 1 person 6 cp
Feed, 1 day 2 cp
Food at an inn, 1 person 3 cp
Guild Membership Fees/Freeman Payment, 12 ss
Rent (cottage), 1 year 3 ss
Rent (craftsman's shop with flat above), 1 year 12 ss
Rent (merchant's house), 1 year 26 ss
Stabling, 1 day 2 cp


Horses
Courser 1 gd 90 ss
Destrier 2 gd 80 ss
Garron 20 ss
Mule 6 ss
Palfrey 75 ss
Pony 25 ss
Rounsey 25 ss
Sand Steed 2 gd 180 ss
Stot 25 ss


Vehicles
Sled, 5 ss
Wagon, 20 ss
Wayn (cart), 8 ss
Chariot, 30 ss


Wages
Wages, Archers, day 6 cp
Wages, Armoured Infantry, day 12 cp
Wages, building labourer, day 6 cp
Wages, craft, day 9 cp
Wages, farm, day 6 cp
Wages, Infantry, day 4 cp
Wages, Knights, day 24 cp
Wages, Mason, day 12 cp
Wages, Master Mason, day 24 cp


Weapons – Axes
Bardiche 40 ss
Battleaxe 5 ss
Crowbill 6 ss
Hand Axe 3 ss
Labrys 10 ss
Long Axe 50 ss
Mattock 5 ss
Woodsman's Axe 4 ss


Weapons – Bludgeons
Ball and Chain 4 ss
Club/Cudgel 2 ss
Flail 10 ss
Mace 5 ss
Maul 8 ss
Morningstar 8 ss
Quarterstaff 10 cp
Warhammer 6 ss


Weapons – Brawling
Knife 28 cp
Whip 28 cp


Weapons – Fencing
Braavosi Blade* 160 ss
Left-Handed Dagger* 65 ss
Small Sword* 140 ss


Weapons – Long Blades
Arakh* 2 gd
Bastard Sword 70ss
Estoc 100 ss
Greatsword 80 ss
Longsword 50 ss


Weapons – Pole-Arms
Bill 10 ss
Halberd 10 ss
Peasant Tool 28 cp
Pole-Axe 8 ss


Weapons – Shields
Buckler 2 ss
Shield 3 ss
Shield, Large 4 ss
Shield, Tower 6 ss


Weapons – Short Blades
Cleaver 1 ss 28 cp
Dagger 2 ss
Dirk 2 ss
Short Sword 3 ss
Stiletto/Poniard 10 ss


Weapons – Spears
Boar Spear 4 ss
Frog Spear 1 ss 28 cp
Pike 8 ss
Spear 2 ss
Tourney Lance 3 ss
Trident 4 ss
War Lance 6 ss


Weapons – Bows
Bow, Dothraki Double-Curved* 1 gd
Bow, Double-Curved 25 ss
Bow, Hunting 5 ss
Longbow 45 ss
Arrows, 12 28 cp


Weapons – Crossbows
Crossbow, Light 15 ss
Crossbow, Medium 45 ss
Crossbow, Heavy 95 ss
Crossbow, Myrish* 200 ss
Quarrels, 12 28 cp


Weapons – Thrown
Dagger 2 ss
Frog Spear 1ss 28 cp
Hand Axe 3 ss
Javelin 2 ss
Net 3 ss
Sling 5 cp
Staff-Sling 20 cp
Sling bullets, 12 14 cp


Armour
Robes 3 ss
Padded armour 15 ss
Leather, Soft armour 30 ss
Leather, Hard armour 40 ss
Bone or Wood armour* 100 ss
Ring armour 60 ss
Hides armour* 150 ss
Mail armour 80 ss
Breastplate armour 120 ss
Scale/Coin armour 60 ss
Splint armour 100 ss
Brigandine armour 120 ss
Half-Plate armour 1 gd
Plate armour 1 gd 90 ss


Barding
Leather Barding 110 ss
Ring Barding 1 gd 30 ss
Scale/Coin Barding 1 gd 30 ss
Mail Barding 1 gd 110 ss
Brigandine Barding 2 gd 60 ss
Plate Barding 5 gd 150 ss


Poisons and Healing Preparations
Basilisk Blood 5 gd – 10 gd
Basilisk Venom 5 gd – 10 gd
Firemilk 25 ss
Greycap 25 ss
Milk of the Poppy 200 ss
Milk of the Poppy, Large Dose 500 ss
Myrish Fire 100 ss
Nightshade 100 ss
Pennyroyal, Mild 5 ss
Pennyroyal, Strong 10 ss
Strangler 150 gd
Sweetsleep, Grains 10 ss
Sweetsleep, Pinch 120 ss
Sweetsleep, 3 pinches 360 ss
Tansy, Mild 5 ss
Tansy, Strong 15 ss
Tears of Lys 100 gd
Wasting Potion 50 ss
Widow's Blood 5 gd
Wolfsbane 100 ss


Here's a few more things I've worked out subsequently...

Vehicles

Chariot, one 30 ss
Sled, one 5 ss
Wagon, one 20 ss
Wagon (small noble travelling), one 1 gp
Wagon (large noble travelling), one 15 gp
Wayn (cart), one 8 ss
Galley - Merchant 150ft long, one 20 gd
(110 rowers, 20 sailors)
Galley - War 150ft long, one 30 gd
(110 rowers, 40 sailors/marines)
Longship, Ironmen 100ft long, one 15 gd
( 80 rowers/marines, captain)
Rowboat, one 5 ss
Sailboat, one 20 ss


Passage on board ship (cabin), 1 day 2 ss 26cp
Passage on board ship (hold) 1 day 1 ss
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Kajani » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:02 am

Hmm...
Did you not think that ships are a little bit to cheap? I mean, a long-ship has the price of around 6 destriers, a war galley that of 20... I am no expert, but I would say such a ship should cost more.
Kajani
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Canarr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 am

I'm with Kajani, there; warships especially. Recruiting a Green unit of warships requires 8 Power - 16 Wealth if you pay for it, or 3.200 GD. And that's five ships. There's quite a discrepancy.

But, in any case: great work, putting together that list. I'm impressed.
Canarr
Devotee
Devotee
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 am
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 am

According to one of the price lists I used (http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/medprice.html) a pair of Knight's horses (which would be a Destrier for jousting and a Courser for battle) and a Barge cost the same at £10 each. I can't find the reference I was using to base the ship prices on but they still feel ballpark to me at roughly 4.5-8.5 times the cost of a barge.

Of course if these prices are used then the cash value of Wealth has to change as well. I'm proposing 50 Dragons to increase Wealth by 1 when it is below 40 and 250 Dragons to increase Wealth when it is above 40. When converting Wealth into cash I would say 1 Wealth is worth 25 Gold Dragons. The discrepencies being due to two factors:

1. The general inefficiencies of the process and the merchant's profit margin when buying goods to increase wealth or when selling goods to increase cash

2. The increased opulence that a wealthier house has to buy to convince its neighbours that it has become even wealthier.

[EDITTED to add updated starting cash houserule]
Starting cash would therefore be:
A Status (Stewardship) test multiplied by (Status Ability plus player's choice of one of Cunning, Fighting, Persuasion, Thievery or Warfare Abilities) in Silver Stags.
If the character has an appropriate Quality e.g. Artist, Famous, Mummer, Sponsor, Trade or Trader they can add an additional test dice to their Status test. If the character has the Wealthy Quality then the result is in Silver Moons instead of Stags.

(NB Wealth in the case of noble houses and merchants is not cash sitting in a vault, it is tapestries, rich furnishings, jewelry and fine clothes, gold plates and goblets, the finest meals, jewel encrusted suits of armour, being able to turn up to a tourney in a cloak made of flowers, that kind of thing)
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Kajani » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 am

Hm, I am not sure. Surely most houses did not have HUGE amount of money in cash (a lot is of course eaten up by investments), but a certain treasure in oure gold seems very likely in my eyes. The houses too must be aware of vertain circumstances which could lead to the need of cash - taxations, the need to bribe someone, demands of their liege-lord or the king for help in politic and war etc...
So some points of wealth in cash seems not so unbelievable in my eyes, even if you are NOT a Lannister. Not any house acts like good old drunken king Robert with waste his money or let some weasels like Littlefinger "invest" it all...

By the way what exactly mean you with a barge? How great is that boat (I mean, that term covers in my eyes a lot from a small boat to full-size coastal ship).
Kajani
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 am

Barge is literally all I have to go on, so I'm imagining a river vessel suitable for little more than cargo with limited sails and rigging, maybe some oar space as well. Certainly nothing seaworthy like the three ship types I've priced up.

Yes there would be some spare cash but paying things like scutage and other taxes would be easier in a direct spare Wealth Resource to Wealth Resource transfer without letting a merchant take their cut at either end. If your lord wants resources for war you are more likely to be equipping your men and marching off with them to battle or paying in kind with wealth resources Iron, horses, food, etc. than giving them cash. As for rewarding your bannermen again why get a merchant involved when you can pick up an item that has been in your family and simply give it to them. It also ties both sides more closely to each other if there is an identifiable object involved.

You are right that when things need to be at their most portable and anonymous there would have to be cash involved but for most normal lordly interactions there would be little need.

According to one book I've read in Europe all this changed when there were massive silver deposits found. All of a sudden there was enough spare cash to pay the peasants in silver for any spare produce from the land and for them to pay their taxes in silver. All of a sudden the lords had lots of actual cash and started commissioning artworks, plays, etc. By the time the silver had played out the Renaissance had started. I don't think Westeros is quite there yet though it is getting close in parts.
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Paedrig » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:10 am

Comparisons to real situation in history is always tricky.
Remember f. e. the situation of ancient Rome were the finacial situation was certainly more elaborated than during medieval times.

For me Westeros comes mostly somewhere in the late medieval times (14/15th century) - and during this times there was already a real cash flow in the european economy...
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:58 am

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Very true. I'm certainly not denying the Westeros cash economy or saying the wealth resource doesn't correspond to Gold Dragons. I'm just making the transfer deliberately inefficient, for a variety of reasons.

I suppose it all comes down to the level of abstraction the House Resources represent, how 'spare' resources are stored, etc. Personally I prefer to keep House resources both reasonably abstract and and seperate from the westeros cash economy. That's primarily because I think trying to marry the two together too closely would make things too complex for a tabletop game that is primarily about the stories of the people of the house rather than thier yearly grain crops...

The fact that I then have sixteen pages of my house rules devoted to additional House resources, another six to the House coat of arms and yet another six to this price list out of a total of 45 pages when the PC's have been home for half a session out of 45 is an interesting one ;-)
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Legate » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:50 pm

"Bow, Dothraki Double-Curved* 1 gd
Bow, Double-Curved 25 ss"

Out of curiosity is that supposed to be recurve bows?
Legate
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Pytorb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Yes. That's a House rule that didn't get editted out :-(
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Flagg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Archon007 wrote:Yes they are way off. For example the HBO series last nights episode the father sends 30,000 armed troops with Jamie. Even if you say the were ill equipped with just spears and leather that would run 64,285 GOLD. Think about that number. Now if 5,000 were knights and 25,000 infantry that would cost 136,904 GOLD. That is just long sword and plate and spears and leather.

The weapon and armor cost are so far off it was really poorly thought out.


First, apologies for the thread necromancy.

Second, I'm not sure you're coming at this from the right perspective. It's not as if Tywin just rolled up to an armorer with a cartload of gold and said, "I want 30,000 spears!". That army of 30,000 men was assembled by calling together the armies of many, many Lannister bannermen, all of whom are responsible for furnishing their own gear, and most of whom have accumulated this gear over time. When Tywin sent 30,000 men, he didn't have to write out a $64,285 check. The only significant, immediate costs would have been food and soldier's pay, the latter of which could probably be withheld until after the battle, because really, why pay dead men? :P
User avatar
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: The North

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby shonuff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Agreed. In the feudal system, the vassal is required to provide soldiers for a set time period. I would imagine that the Westerosi feudal system would be similar.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby InfinityzeN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 am

Eh? What is this mithril, black steel, and white steel of you speak of?

No really, they don't exist in SIFRP.
InfinityzeN
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Erryk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 am

InfinityzeN wrote:Eh? What is this mithril, black steel, and white steel of you speak of?

No really, they don't exist in SIFRP.


He's just a bot. Look at the other posts he's made. They make no sense. :-?
Erryk
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 am

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby B-Type » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

Goddamn bots.
B-Type
Cohort
Cohort
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 am

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby smmithjjohn » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

The link does not work. Also, which country does this refer to? Australia?
smmithjjohn
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Updated Price List for goods, weapons, armour, etc.

Postby Baldrick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:39 am

I am resurrecting this thread as I'm interested to know more about how the prices in the price list were arrived at and would also like to make some points of my own.

One thing that concerns me is the value of silver and gold in these lists. In medieval England, coins of silver and gold were not mere "tokens of exchange" like today but were supposed to be actually worth their equivalent weight in silver or gold. There were 240 silver pennies in a pound, and in theory a silver penny was supposed to be worth 1/240th of a pound of silver. In reality some base metal had to be mixed with the silver to stiffen the metal but that doesn't invalidate the basic idea that coins were supposed to be the value of what they were made of in those days.

The OP says he multiplied the silver penny equivalent for 14th century England by 3 to arrive at an equivalent number of Westeros copper pennies. Thus, if an item in 14th century England cost 3 silver pennies (3d) then it becomes 9 copper pennies (9cp) in Westeros.

There were no copper pennies in England until a long time after the end of the middle ages (1788 to be precise). However, I disagree that one can take values in English silver pennies and merely multiply them by 3 to arrive at a value in Westeros copper pennies (which are most likely bronse anyway, rather than pure copper).

My approach would instead be to treat a Westeros Silver Stag as being more or less equivalent to an English Silver Penny and derive prices from there, rather than pay a worker 3 Westeros coppers per English silver penny (which I'm sure the Westeros worker would not be too pleased about if he knew!).

The smallest English gold coin was the "quarter-noble", equivalent to 20 silver pennies. This fits in well with the historical relative value of gold to silver (ranging from 12 to 50 times more valuable). For the Westeros Gold Dragon to be worth 210 Silver Stags, we must assume that the coin is considerably bigger/heavier than the stag, the purity of the silver is less than that of the gold, or else gold in Westeros is considerably rarer than silver compared to on Earth - but that is by the by!
Baldrick
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests