Descent into Song of Ice and Fire

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Descent into Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Yellow Knight » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:15 am

Hi everyone, Ive been following this rpg for awhile now and it made me take a closer look at the novels which I havent read yet. Well, I just ordered the rpg and the entire series so far and should be getting it any day. Martin's world with it's gritty realism is exactly what I like in my fantasy novels (My favorites are Glen Cook and Ellen Kushner). And the rpg sounds like it also retains that feel pretty well. Im in the Army and deployed in the middle east right now so Ill have plenty of time to read the four novels out so far and get a very good grasp of the rules of the rpg. Im excited to get going with A Song of Ice and Fire and Westeros.
Yellow Knight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hedgewizard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Welcome to the world of Westeros (and the lands beyond)!

Martin is a fantastic author, and his books are ripe with great characters. Just don't get attached ;)

The RPG is quite a wonderful piece of work in that it captures GRRM's world so well. I am thoroughly impressed (just wish that the core book was the same scope, size and density as the GOO collector's book - wow!)
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Postby wycca » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:31 pm

The more I play with the RPG, the more I appreciate just how much it captures the world. Yes it has a few flaws/errata, but I've rarely been so impressed with a system or product in general. The people at Green Ronin (and I'd probably add Pinnacle with their Savage World), really "get" RPG's.
wycca
Bystander
Bystander

Postby warden » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Welcome!

Just a quick note, avoid the character descriptions in the narrator's chapter until you have read the books, there are some big spoilers.

and keep your head down :D
warden
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hedgewizard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:14 pm

warden wrote:Welcome!

Just a quick note, avoid the character descriptions in the narrator's chapter until you have read the books, there are some big spoilers.

and keep your head down :D

YES! YES YES! Avoid those sections like the plague until you've read the books.

And as a former servicemen (USN Corpsman attached to USMC STA platoon) - all my best to you and your brothers and sisters out there.
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG