Where was Robert? Question about Plot from the book

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Where was Robert? Question about Plot from the book

Postby hedgewizard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Forgive me - but I've had this biding question in my head for a couple of weeks now. It's been a while since I've read the books, and I couldn't find anything online (in the Citadel or wiki pages)...

When Eddard's brother, Brandon, rides off to King's Landing to demand Rhaegar answer them (for apparently stealing off with Lyanna) why didn't Robert go with them?

I know he was being fostered at the Eyrie under Jon Arryn (with Ned), but what was the pretext for him to remain behind? Afterall, from all resources I could mine, he was enraged when Rhaegar made off with her?

I am curious because one of my player's will have been a friend of some kind to Robert during his stay at the Eyrie and we're working up a history. But I've always wondered that...
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Robert had taken a wound from Rhaegar at the battle of the trident. He was unable to continue and left it to Eddard to finish the pursuit and war. Eddard mentions it when they are riding through the Barrowlands on their way from Winterfell to King's Landing in A Game of Thrones

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
Last edited by Jon Snow on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby B Evil Kirby » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm

My recollection is somewhat fuzzy, but a quick glance at Wikipedia states that Brandon acted of his own accord to plead for justice from Aerys. I also believe that no one knew precisely where Rhaegar was (and didn't until he took the field after the war began), and it would probably have been known if he was in KL.
B Evil Kirby
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Aran MacFiona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Robert was with Eddard and Jon Arryn at the Eyrie. That's why after Brandon's and Lord Stark's death, Aerys asked Jon Arryn to deliver both Robbert and Ned Stark to be executed. Ned because he was a Stark but Robert I don't know for sure, perhaps because being betrothed to Lyanna made him a traitor too. Anyway, that's what started the War of the Usurper.
Aran MacFiona
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby hedgewizard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Aran MacFiona wrote:Robert was with Eddard and Jon Arryn at the Eyrie. That's why after Brandon's and Lord Stark's death, Aerys asked Jon Arryn to deliver both Robbert and Ned Stark to be executed. Ned because he was a Stark but Robert I don't know for sure, perhaps because being betrothed to Lyanna made him a traitor too. Anyway, that's what started the War of the Usurper.

I knew Robert was with Ned at the Eyrie - I guess I should have framed the question thusly: Since Robert was betrothed to Lyanna, and the issue was Rhaegar running off with her, why wasn't Robert with Brandon and his friends when they approached Aerys for justice?

One would assume that since he was betrothed (and obviously in love with her) he would have a decent claim to bring to the throne. B Evil Kirby suggests that Brandon and his cohorts acted alone. Perhaps Robert was being counseled against rising up against Aerys? ...

Thanks for the answers everyone.
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Aran MacFiona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Brandon was in the Riverland for his marriage with Catelyn when the news that Lyanna had been abducted by Rhaegar came. Brandon asked nobody and rushed to King's landing, followed by his father.
Robert was at the Eyrie and needed Jon Arryn's permission to leave. Permission that what refused if he asked. But even if it's been granted, since Brandon and Robert were in location so far apart, he still wouldn't have been with Brandon at King's Landing.
Aran MacFiona
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby B Evil Kirby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Aran MacFiona wrote:Brandon was in the Riverland for his marriage with Catelyn when the news that Lyanna had been abducted by Rhaegar came. Brandon asked nobody and rushed to King's landing, followed by his father.
Robert was at the Eyrie and needed Jon Arryn's permission to leave. Permission that what refused if he asked. But even if it's been granted, since Brandon and Robert were in location so far apart, he still wouldn't have been with Brandon at King's Landing.

I don't know that Robert would have gone to KL in any event, since he probably would have wanted to deal with Rhaegar directly. As he later did.

Of course, I'm extrapolating. Is there a specific reference in the book about it?
B Evil Kirby
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG