Injury equivalent for Intrigues?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Injury equivalent for Intrigues?

Postby trystero » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm

One of the things I love about the SIFRP system is the way that intrigues use the same underlying system as combat, so that all actions can be resolved with a consistent level of detail and fighting isn't privileged. (Designers of D&D 4e's badly-broken "Skill Challenge" rules, eat your hearts out.)

That said, I do wonder about one inconsistency: characters in a fight have a choice between taking Wounds (-1D per) or Injuries (-1 per) to mitigate Health losses, but characters in an Intrigue can only take Frustrations (-1D per) to mitigate Composure losses.

I'd be tempted to add Setbacks (-1 per, absorbs Composure loss equal to Will, take no more than Will) so that intrigue offers the same options as combat. I thought I'd post this here, though, rather than the House Rules thread, to get feedback: maybe there's a good reason not to offer this option?
trystero
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Davechan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

The only real reason I can see not to include "Setbacks" is that (if roleplayed out) an exchange in an intrigue will probably take considerably longer than a turn in a combat, and allowing an additional "soak" mechanism might serve to slow things down a bit. Personally I like the idea, though, and would certainly consider giving it a try.
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby AdvocateJack » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 pm

I really like this idea but I wonder about how much it will drag an intrigue out. Which might be awesome, but also might end up with one character sitting around doing an intrigue while others wait. Still, as a concept I love it.
AdvocateJack
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby kckolbe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:16 am

Frustration is actually a combination of an Injury and Wound

Injury-Ignore dmg equal to Endurance, -1 penalty to further rolls.
Wound-Ignore all dmg, -1D penalty

Frustration-Ignore dmg equal to Will, -1D penalty

As you can see, the designers wanted intrigue combatants to have some options, but not so many as combat. The intent was most likely speed.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby trystero » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:55 pm

kckolbe, you're right; I completely overlooked the fact that Frustrations, like Injuries, are limited in the amount of Influence they can reduce. With that in mind, I withdraw the suggestion.
trystero
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby wycca » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 am

I really like the intrigue rules, but I'd like to see a bit more fleshing out later of the comments on assisting and other parties (ie advisor's, other PC's) taking part. You can RP it in and house-rule it, but it's not quite the same as, for example, PC's participating in combat. Minor quibble, however.
wycca
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 am

It is possible to assist in multiple ways. The first is by using the assist action and granting half your ranks as a bonus. The second is by tag-teaming. Let's say you and a friend are trying to influence a lord. The first round your friend sets at him, and hopefully does a bit of damage. That round you begin sizing up your opponent (gaining +1D for the remainder of the intrigue). Then you may begin attacking, with your friend assisting, or you can work as healer, mollifying your allies and helping them keep their composure. You can unleash a stream of fast talk and try to unbalance them. I think there are all sorts of options.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG