Historical Campaign Questions

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Historical Campaign Questions

Postby Count_Zero » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 am

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I was thinking of setting my first campaign during the Blackfyre Rebellion and the War of the Ninepenny Kings and have a couple of historical questions reguarding the history of the 7 Kingdoms.

Are silver stags a relativly new currency (i.e. did they come into use just after the War of the Usurper)? I am assuming that they are as the stag is also the heraldic animal of house Baratheon.

Also, does anyone know were I could find a cronology of the seasons of Westeros and their duration (I look on westeros dot org but couldnt find anything, unlees I'm blind :oops: )? I'm also looking for a list of previous lords of the great houses, but5 that shouldnt be too hard to find.
Count_Zero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Davechan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:10 am

I don't think that GRRM ever goes into that much detail about the history of the currency, and while the Stag may have come about as you say due to the Baratheon link, it also may very well not have done. I'd just pick one and run with it.
As for seasons, they are of no fixed length - the thing I'm looking at here says the longest Summer was 10 years, 2 Months and 16 days. The Summer in the ASIF storyline lasted for about 9 I think it was. Again, I'd just go with whatever suits your story.
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Ser Rivers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:01 am

Do bear in mind that House Baratheon was founded by one of Aegon's lieutenants (if I remember my fluff Orys was originally Aegon's man and was rewarded with Storm's End), so that currency may have been in use long before King Robert.
Ser Rivers
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kilted Raven » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:31 am

Pretty sure the currency system predates the War of the Usurper.

Also if they did revise the currency after the war I'd expect you'd be more likely to see Golden Stags and Silver Lions, rather than Golden Dragons and Silver Stags.

(As a side note it's a lovely currency system for the flavour of the novels, but by god is it a horrible one for a practical RPG system. Talk about unweildy.)
Kilted Raven
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Count_Zero » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:57 am

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, appreciate it.
Count_Zero
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Historical Campaign Questions

Postby Aran MacFiona » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Count_Zero wrote:I was thinking of setting my first campaign during the Blackfyre Rebellion and the War of the Ninepenny Kings and have a couple of historical questions reguarding the history of the 7 Kingdoms.

Are you aware that there is more than half a century between these two wars ? Even PCS who are adolescent in a campaign set during the Blackfyre rebellion will be too old to be part of the War of the Ninepenny King.

Also, does anyone know were I could find a cronology of the seasons of Westeros and their duration (I look on westeros dot org but couldnt find anything, unlees I'm blind :oops: )? I'm also looking for a list of previous lords of the great houses, but5 that shouldnt be too hard to find.

On Westros.org you need to go to The Citadel : click on the shield with a III. Then check the FAQ and the Concordance.
Aran MacFiona
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Davechan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:44 am

Are you aware that there is more than half a century between these two wars ? Even PCS who are adolescent in a campaign set during the Blackfyre rebellion will be too old to be part of the War of the Ninepenny King.

That could lead to some really awesome generational campaign play, though. That's a style I've always really wanted to try out ^_^
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Count_Zero » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 am

That could lead to some really awesome generational campaign play, though. That's a style I've always really wanted to try out ^_^

And that is exactly what I plan to do, with the PCs noble house being the central focus.
Count_Zero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby inmygravenimage » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

Coins:
Check out http://www.shirepost.com/GeorgeMartin.html
First one's an Aegon I Silver Stag, and at the bottom there's an Aerys II one; there's a selection of other coins generally. I presume they're licensed.
Hope that helps!
inmygravenimage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Count_Zero » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah, thats bloody brilliant, thanks inmygravenimage! Always good for the players to have any sort of visuals.
Count_Zero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby inmygravenimage » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 am

No bother; I quite agree. Another useful company is http://www.gothicgreenoak.co.uk/ who do replica medieval games - great for dicing in the tavern!
inmygravenimage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aran MacFiona » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Count_Zero wrote:

And that is exactly what I plan to do, with the PCs noble house being the central focus.

I'm going to do the same. While creating a house with two from my group of players (we where waiting for the rest of the players to come) I noticed that those historic events for house might make good scenarios. And it would be funnier to roleplay the creation of the house then the other events, than to just write down as the house background. The players creating new PCs for each one if they are happening at different time period.
Aran MacFiona
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG