Starting funds

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Starting funds

Postby HandOfTheKing187 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:19 am

If I'm reading correctly, your starting funds are equal to a status roll - i.e, you roll a number of dice equal to your status, add them up, and thats how many gold dragons you have. However, the example characters seem to have an awful lot more equipment and money than they should have. I've made a status 4 knight. I rolled pretty well for starting money, 19. But after buying a courser, half plate armor, a bastard sword and a medium shield, I'm only left with 3 dragons. Compare this to the Anointed Knight example character - he has full plate, a destrier, a war lance, and comparable equipment to my character, yet he starts with 16 gold dragons?! Even if he'd rolled 6 on all his dice for the status roll he shouldn't have that much spare cash.

I feel like I'm missing something really basic and obvious here. Please help :p
HandOfTheKing187
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Talassa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:42 am

I have made some comments on starting coin and gear for archetypes in this thread.

And at RPG.NetI have posted the following:
After the session was over, we found that the coin they had was not enough to buy all equipment listed, in some cases. I advise you make the players buy their character’s starting equipment with the gold available to them instead of copying the archetype possessions to the character sheet.
Talassa
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hkdharmon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20 am

Yes, according to a friend of mine, the archtypes are "totally porked". I think the system is great, but the book needs serious proof-reading.
hkdharmon
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG