SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Carriker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:31 am

Jon Hill wrote:Do weapon qualities with numerical values like piercing or shattering multiply with degrees of success?

They do not, no.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Carriker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:34 am

DaimosofRedstone wrote:1) persuasion without bonus dice gets +2, and only intimidation gets these dice as well
2) all persuasion rolls get +2 but intimidate gets +4
3) something else?

This is the current proper description of the Blood of Valyria Benefit.

Blood of Valyria wrote:Before engaging in an intrigue, your Status counts as one rank higher for the purposes of influencing a target without fully engaging in an intrigue. In addition, whenever you test Persuasion to Intimidate, you add +2 to the test results.

Finally, you may add +2 to your passive Endurance result when attacked by fire or exposed to the effects of heat.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby AtomicGamer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi, two questions about House creation.

1. If I want to have a son of the head of the house be a member of the kingsguard. (and therefore effectively out of the line of succession), does he still cost influence points (20 for firstborn, 10 for second)?

2. Don't you think land holding prices for towns are too restrictive?
AtomicGamer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am

AtomicGamer wrote:1. If I want to have a son of the head of the house be a member of the kingsguard. (and therefore effectively out of the line of succession), does he still cost influence points (20 for firstborn, 10 for second)?

No, he wouldn't. The Influence cost for "sons" is really for "heirs", including heirs-once-removed.

AtomicGamer wrote:2. Don't you think land holding prices for towns are too restrictive?

Not entirely, no. There aren't many towns in the setting; in fact, most of those that exist are described or at least mentioned somewhere. They're notable. Reducing the cost would make towns and other settlements much more common, which is not in keeping with the setting.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Reinard » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:22 am

What is the action/check required for mounting/dismounting and drawing/sheating a weapon? I am assuming lesser for all unless the horse is injured/scared/unfriendly when it should be greater action with animal handling vs. will test.
Reinard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 am

Reinard wrote:What is the action/check required for mounting/dismounting and drawing/sheating a weapon? I am assuming lesser for all unless the horse is injured/scared/unfriendly when it should be greater action with animal handling vs. will test.

Drawing a weapon is noted under the Interact action in Chapter 9: Combat; it is a Lesser Action, though you may incorporate it into a Move action with a -1D to all attacks until your next action.

Mounting and dismounting are both likely Interact actions as well; you can probably also incorporate one of those actions into a Move if you perform a "Vault into the Saddle" action, from the Expanded Specialties section of Chapter 11: The Narrator.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Kival » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 pm

a) On page 169 it's mentioned that using the advanced rules for reach an attack with two weapons of different reach imposes a -1D penalty. Does this only occur when you use the Two-Weapon-Attack Action or always when you are wielding two weapons with different reach?

b) In the errata (?) it's said:

Athletics, Other Uses (Revision/Deletion); SIFRP, Page 58
The “Whenever you successfully grab an opponent in combat, that opponent must succeed on an opposed Athletics test to break free” is error. Replace it with:

In order for an enemy to grab you with a Grab weapon, the enemy must hit you and the Fighting test result must also beat your passive Athletics result.

Delete the following bullet:
“You may pin a grabbed foe by succeeding on an opposed Athletics test.”
Reason: Pinning should be a consequence of defeat.

Does this also mean to delete the Pin-action on page 160? Also I don't understand why pinning should only be a consequence of defeat: The target is only helpless (-agility on combat defense, and +1D for enemy) and has the chance to free himself, that's not a complete defeat.

c) Can we assume that aging from one age group into the other gives you the drawback you'd need if you had started with a character of that age? Should also Destiny Points be reduced and experience points be given? So far I'm only inclined to "force" the characters to take one of the necessary drawbacks, thinking about giving them a destiny point for it or not.
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zorbeltuss » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 am

Tourney Knight benefit p. 87

add number of bonus dices to passive Animal Handling result to stay in the saddle.

Isn't staying in the saddle an active animal handling while your passive animal handling is used as difficulty?
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Carriker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 am

Zorbeltuss wrote:Isn't staying in the saddle an active animal handling while your passive animal handling is used as difficulty?

That's a not-so-good reference to the fact that you use your passive Animal Handling as your Defense in a joust.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Lord Ben » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 am

If you both get unhorsed in a joust is it a do over or both lost? Or it goes to submission?
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Carriker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:11 am

Lord Ben wrote:If you both get unhorsed in a joust is it a do over or both lost? Or it goes to submission?

It honestly depends on how the tourney is being run. Many tourneys were run along a "point" system, with first to three points being the winner. Unhorsing your opponent was worth three points. A shattered spear was worth one (as hitting strongly and directly enough to shatter your spear was a mark of skill).

So, in a point-based tourney, it would depend on the points. If they were equal, it'd be time to draw melee weapons and fight afoot. If one had more points than the other, he was winner despite being unhorsed.

Less formal tourneys would probably resort to melee, though.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Kival » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 am

I think it's explicitly mentioned in the books that they fight further when both are unhorsed. Need to find it first though to proof. We should not forget that Westeros is not complelty identical with medieval europe... actually medieval euroa is also not very homogeneous but that's another thing.

PS: @Carriker Not wanting to force you but could you also answer my questions above or just say you can't answer them?
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Kival wrote:a) On page 169 it's mentioned that using the advanced rules for reach an attack with two weapons of different reach imposes a -1D penalty. Does this only occur when you use the Two-Weapon-Attack Action or always when you are wielding two weapons with different reach?

I'm not official but I only impose the penalty if the two weapon action is used. Otherwise, I allow the use of each weapon independently. This gives the the shield user a chance to bash someone in the face :D
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Kival » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Jon Snow wrote:Otherwise, I allow the use of each weapon independently. This gives the the shield user a chance to bash someone in the face :D

As two lesser actions?
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I would let them attack with one or the other without incurring the penalty. Not two different attacks. So if you were belly to belly, you could attack with your shield without the penalty if you chose.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby nicholscs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:29 am

Does a support unit have any effect in warfare beyond storytelling? I know they are supposed to 'do' stuff interms of building camps, moving gear around, even some healing...but I can't find anything in terms of mechanics.
'...tireless Strife, sister of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
... casting hatred on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440
nicholscs
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 am

Cautious Diplomat p.78

Does that mean you get those bonus dice on everything until the end of the intrigue or simply until you use them (which could be any time in that intrigue)?
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Rand2810 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Pg 177
FORTIFICATIONS

A Hall can Hold up to Two units

Does this means that if the home house have no other fortification the unit "Cap" is set to two? Or it only means i can only Place two units to defend the Hall, but i can Buy more units for the House?
Rand2810
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kival » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:29 am

It does not limit the general amount of units.
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Martionman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 am

I'm using Sylvia Harte as a primary antagonist in my game, she had married Ser Kevan in Wedding knight, His father died throughout my campaign, and she had managed to have Ser kevan killed during a tournament that my players hosted. All the while she's been pregnant with Ser Etan Hogg's (also deceased) child believed to be Kevan Mannings.

Question is, where would the rights to the Manning Lands go if the child was stillborn? Would Lady Manning still hold rights to the House?
Martionman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 am

Kevan's younger brother, Darren, would then be Lord.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby shadowcat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 am

Hello!

I'm totally new to this board as well as to aSoIaF. I just recently started to read the novels and I fell in love with them at once. They'll be among my favourite novels for the rest of my life. I just finished the first one but the others will follow straight. And as a fan of roleplay games, I started to search for one of my new favourite setting. Gladly I found GR's SIFRP! :D So far, I've read the quickstart rules and I'm fond of the simple, yet creative rules, including the creative intrigue system!

However, I've got some questions. I'd like to buy the core rule book (likely as print edition as well as PDF) and the campaign guide (only PDF). Though, AFAIK the current rulebook does not content the errata, but the coming A Game Of Thrones-Edition will contain it; together with the adventure peril at king's landing. Will there be an updated version of the PDF and print edition of the current rulebook? Or will those errata only be incorporated in the new edition? And will the campaign guide receive an update as well?

I hope, my question stands in the right thread. :)

Thank you in advance!

~ shadowcat
Fear Me Roar!
shadowcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

Hey there, shadowcat. Thanks for visiting us.

The Game of Thrones edition will indeed include all of the published errata to date, plus a bit more that's cropped up here and there. We will be providing a free PDF with the details of all of the changes between the original rulebook and the Game of Thrones edition for those who'd rather go that route.

The Campaign Guide will also be receiving a Game of Thrones edition, along with some adjustment of its contents (mostly adjustments to its stat blocks). We'll be releasing a free PDF of all of the updated stat blocks and other info that's changed in that book, as well.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby shadowcat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

Thank you very much for your friendly answer, Mr. Carriker!

I'll go with the current rulebook and campaign guide then and I am grateful for the free errata PDF's for the rulebook and the campaign guide.

I wish you ongoing success!

~ shadowcat
Fear Me Roar!
shadowcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Carriker wrote:The Campaign Guide will also be receiving a Game of Thrones edition, along with some adjustment of its contents (mostly adjustments to its stat blocks). We'll be releasing a free PDF of all of the updated stat blocks and other info that's changed in that book, as well.

Excellent news! What info can you give us about it? When is it expected to release?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG