SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: Stand Up

Postby rulandor » Fri May 27, 2011 9:50 am

Ser Kinslayer wrote:Question regarding the action needed to stand up.

The Quick Play rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the PC wears armor of Bulk 2; the Core rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the armor's Armor Rating is 6 or higher.

Which is it?

It would be interesting to get a designer's input here; otherwise, I'd say, pick one variant, with regard to the core rules version being a bit more lenient towards characters.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Stand Up

Postby Archon007 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 am

Ser Kinslayer wrote:Question regarding the action needed to stand up.

The Quick Play rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the PC wears armor of Bulk 2; the Core rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the armor's Armor Rating is 6 or higher.

Which is it?

I use Bulk. When you have a character that take the armor qualities doesn't seem to make sense to penalize them. Bulk just seems right to me.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Imp » Sun May 29, 2011 5:21 am

Hello im from sweden so you have to excuse my bad english sometimes ..

I just started running a sifrp campaign and a problem arose during play when it came to combat

one of the players was playing a hedge knight sworn to the house of the characters this hedge knight hade very good values in fighting and endurance he also has a very high combat defence value resulting in that he can take 5 wounds and 5 injuries

so he was fighting another knight with the similar values

first the 2 knights hit eachoter so the had to soak up all injuries and then all wounds reducing them from 6 starting dice in fighting to 1 and reducning the possibility to hit anything but a 1 on that last dice beacuse of the minuses acumulated by injuries they also spent all their destiny points after a while they couldent hit eachother

with other words you get worse and worse at fighting the more wounds you have but your combat defence value stays the same and 2 similary good characters cant hit eachother

how do you solve this ?
Imp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Sun May 29, 2011 6:09 am

If I interpret the rules correctly, the fight should have been already over as soon as the first fighter accumulated injuries equal to his Endurance rank. He would then have been defeated, same as with Health 0.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Imp » Sun May 29, 2011 4:58 pm

ok say it like this if the fighters instead have 6 in endurance and 5 in fighting and have say 12 in combat defence and have reduced eachother to say 1 dice in fighting from taken 4 wounds

their endurance is 6 and they have taken 4 wounds still leaving them with 2 wound left but reduced to 1 dice in fighting beacuse of the wounds taken with other words they are still able to fight since they havent acumulated their toatal number of wounds .

but with just 1 die you cant hit your opponent but your endurance says you can still fight you just cant hit anything over 6 in combat defence

this is how i see a flaw in the rules or have i and my players gotten it totally wrong
Imp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Reinard » Sun May 29, 2011 11:54 pm

You can make an all out attack and hope for the best.
Reinard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 am

Well, I don't see a flaw here. When the rules say that a heavily wounded character has a hard time continuing to fight, this seems very realistic to me. If a fighter is so heavily wounded that he nearly can't lift his sword any more, he should perhaps yield.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Archon007 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Imp wrote:ok say it like this if the fighters instead have 6 in endurance and 5 in fighting and have say 12 in combat defence and have reduced eachother to say 1 dice in fighting from taken 4 wounds

their endurance is 6 and they have taken 4 wounds still leaving them with 2 wound left but reduced to 1 dice in fighting beacuse of the wounds taken with other words they are still able to fight since they havent acumulated their toatal number of wounds .

but with just 1 die you cant hit your opponent but your endurance says you can still fight you just cant hit anything over 6 in combat defence

this is how i see a flaw in the rules or have i and my players gotten it totally wrong

If you use fatigue he can ignore a wound and attack with more dice, since his endurance is so high. But anyone suffering from 4 wounds isn't doing much of anything except bleeding.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Imp » Tue May 31, 2011 12:48 am

Archon007 wrote:
Imp wrote:ok say it like this if the fighters instead have 6 in endurance and 5 in fighting and have say 12 in combat defence and have reduced eachother to say 1 dice in fighting from taken 4 wounds

If you use fatigue he can ignore a wound and attack with more dice, since his endurance is so high. But anyone suffering from 4 wounds isn't doing much of anything except bleeding.

yes im with you on that and i would also have it to that outcome but it doesnt have any support in the rules atleast i havent found it .

according to the rules you are still able to fight as long as you have health and havent used up your wounds to a maxium of the rating you have in endurance

and since you soaked up the damage using wounds you still have your health left and since you havent used up all your wounds you still have dice/dices left in fighting "ergo" you can still fight you just cant hit anything since your fighting value is so bad from taking wounds

i would like a rule that says when you have acumullated say 2 wounds you are incapacitated and cant fight but i havent seen a rule like that

the rules state that you can fight but the game mechanic will not allow it

this isnt a problem aslong as one fighter still is better than the other but when two simillar fighters clash and are reduced to the same amount of dices and both have defence values over that dice value they just stand there looking stupid

i havent found a anwser to this in the rules

and one more thing i noticed is that the game is so fikkin unbalanced for example in the characters house , House Basherè they have 2 paragons thats 2 men in the same household in a small house in the riverlands that are paragons in fighting ...

in my eyes a paragon is a person that comes along maybee each 500 years or so and they have 2 in the same small household all supported by the rules

one of these men is a landed knigth he also has high values in all the thins that give him a good combat defence and he has like 5 in athletics

we played perill at kings landing and when the fox knights mercenaries attacked the party the knight just butcherd them and i even made the mercenaries more than stated in the adventure

they hade defence values of like 7 and the knight with his 7 dice in fighting hit like 3 -4 degress of sucsesse every time and 3 x 5 is 15 and the mercenaries had like 12 in health he killed them with one stroke and they couldnt even hit him and i they did they would just have 1 degree of sucsess so they would come up in a value of maybee 4 in damage they couldnt even put a dent in the knights armor ....

the knight can take on every foe in the adventure by himself and have no problem battling 6-7 foes even if they gang up on him using the support another rules...

thats unbalanced
Imp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kariggi » Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 am

It can seem that way. I don't mind my best combat characters cleaving through mercenaries myself. If I want to challenge them I add characters with special abilities like Axe fighter 2 or 3, that way I can almost always sneak in a wound if I want a more dramatic fight.

Also getting wounded is very serious in this game as you point out from your fight. If the knight is wounded (even once) by the mercenaries in this scene he will be -1 die for the next week. So for me rare wounds are good.

To your long fight -- it does mirror the day long bashing without a win that were mentioned in knightly texts like Le Morte d'Arthur.

Fatigue is listed in the advanced combat section and allows you to overcome penalties as do destiny points so you could still get a strike in.

And do your characters need a rule to realise they are so badly wounded that they no longer have the strenght to damage a fully armoured opponent?
kariggi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Imp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 am

kariggi wrote:It can seem that way. I don't mind my best combat characters cleaving through mercenaries myself. If I want to challenge them I add characters with special abilities like Axe fighter 2 or 3, that way I can almost always sneak in a wound if I want a more dramatic fight.

Also getting wounded is very serious in this game as you point out from your fight. If the knight is wounded (even once) by the mercenaries in this scene he will be -1 die for the next week. So for me rare wounds are good.

To your long fight -- it does mirror the day long bashing without a win that were mentioned in knightly texts like Le Morte d'Arthur.

Fatigue is listed in the advanced combat section and allows you to overcome penalties as do destiny points so you could still get a strike in.

And do your characters need a rule to realise they are so badly wounded that they no longer have the strenght to damage a fully armoured opponent?

Its a flaw in the way that a lesser foe even if hes undamaged cant even bruise the knight while he hack n slashes hes way trough westeros hes a even better fighter than fikkin jaime lanister and whats the fun i concuring all foes without any risk for being damaged

in my eyes that takes away all the elements of excitment in the game

we dont even need to have a fight we can just say the knight wins for thats the outcome of all fights

And No my players dont need a rule to say they cant fight when they are damaged but now the rules state they can aslong as they have dice/dices left and thats the problem
Imp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Archon007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:27 am

They are suppose to be able to take on a lot of enemies. In last Sunday's episode they talk about Jamie killing 10 northmen before they were able to capture him.

Also, keep in mind if you have 2 or more average fighters Fighting 3 Longswords 1B, they shouldn't each be swings at that knight. Two of them should be using the assisting rules to make the other one be able to hit. An extra +2 to the attack doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up, and that's how the fight would really go.

Now if you say they are trained at 4 ranks in Fighting then it's +2 per assist. So, it can really add up.

Scenario 1: 5 northmen (fighting 4 +2B - 4 damage) on Jaime, each attacks individually. Average hit 16 for for 8 damage - his armor of 11 = ZERO! This is the wrong way to go about it.

Scenario 2: 5 northmen (fighting 4 +2B - 4 damage) on Jaime. 1 attacks, 4 assist: you are getting 4 test dice +2 bounus dice +8 so that's an average of 22. So a hit and 2 raises = 12 damage - his armor of 11 = 1 damage. So yes it will take a long time to take him down. But that's why he can kill 10 others before being captured.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby xTemplarVIII » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm

I have a question regarding impale weapons (page 154). After you have successfully impaled an opponent, what type of action does it take when you want to yank the weapon free? Does it count as a lesser action? If so does it then also count as an attack action? If it is not a lesser action and is instead a free action, can the wielder immediately attempt to pull the weapon free and continue to act in the round if they have actions remaining?
xTemplarVIII
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:58 am

I think it could count as a Lesser Action. At least, you could make that judgement based on "Interaction" counting as Lesser Actions, for example, pulling weapons or mounting horses.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Whisperingwind » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:52 am

The "Dodge"action is described on page 160.
In this description it says "you may move up to half your movement, ususally to reach cover". This implies that a character doesn't need to reach cover; but could it be used to get closer to an enemy?
This would be a great benefit to character with an agility of 4+, since this, on average, would generate a value higher than the average combat defense. Not being able to attack directly (since dodge is a greater action) is unfortunate, but it's a solid option often enough.
Whisperingwind
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wigster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:03 am

Reference to the Chronicle Starter, although I haven't finished reading it, I was pleased to see a mention of a use for Wetlands as a resource (Bog Iron) as I have assumed so far that the only other purpose for applying land points in this would be for defense.
I was disappointed that a new wealth holding was not detailed for this, I do not assume that every bog has bog iron so how can this be determined in game and therefore what relevance has it if it does not effect fortune roles as a mine would etc.
I also assume even if you have a mine the actual mineral that it generates is also not relevent other than for descriptive value and to make certain ties and connections in game with other houses etc.

Are there likely to be any more details of New wealth holdings in future.

Thanks
Wigster
Bystander
Bystander

Shield mastery

Postby Tobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:41 am

Why does "shield mastery" increase your combat defense by 1? I mean this is absolutly unbalanced. "Bloof Rhyone" gives +2 and another litte advantage (ok, it's fate and you can use only one fate quality). But buying a destiniy points costs 50 ep and increaseing agility, awareness or athletics (30ep) gives a lot of other advantages and would increase your combat defense too. Armor mastery increases AR and reduces Bulk (~ two features) and improves armor mastery improves AR and defense (two features too). And other qualities with minor effect (e.g. charismatic) is a requirement for awesome qualities like magnetic. Weapon mastery or compelling increases the level of damage, expertise gives a +1D on a single ability. Here it would be better to increase the ability itself, but these qualities are affecting single abilities and you can use them if you are limited by the maximum ability level. It's just the top of the edge. But all the way: combat defense is calculated by three abilities... and shield mastery just sucks.
Tobi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Slynt » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:47 am

What's the next planned release for the game? :green:
Slynt
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby aprewett » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 am

Shield Mastery; I am sorry I could not follow the reason for the post about SM being broken. Not that I disagree but is it to weak, to strong?
What would be the solution?

Allan
aprewett
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Cataphract » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:33 am

The tl;dr version of Tobi's post: It's too much bang for the buck. Just +1 to your defense is too little. I can definitely see the point.

Personally, I'd have the bonus be equal to your bonus dice in the Shields Mastery (since there's no practical use for them, save for using them instead of Dodge for Dodging or for attacking JUST with the shield) and also give it the Off-hand +1 quality, and I'm thinking of homebrewing an improved Shield Mastery too.
Cataphract
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Tobi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 am

Yes, I feel shield mastery is too weak. I'd prefer to have the quality increase combat defense by +2, but I guess there must be a reason why the game devoloper decides to have it +1. Increasing the combat defense by your level of shield speciality seems broken. But I like the idea. You could enhance the "cattoius attack" action. Something like: If you're taking the "cautious attack" action, your combat defense bonus is 3 + your bonus dices in shields.

@Cataphract: We are playing that the train level of a second weapon or a shields affects your primary attack too. Hence using a large shield needs a level one speciality in shields.
Tobi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cataphract » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Tobi wrote:Yes, I feel shield mastery is too weak. I'd prefer to have the quality increase combat defense by +2, but I guess there must be a reason why the game devoloper decides to have it +1. Increasing the combat defense by your level of shield speciality seems broken. But I like the idea. You could enhance the "cattoius attack" action. Something like: If you're taking the "cautious attack" action, your combat defense bonus is 3 + your bonus dices in shields.

I hardly think it's broken, you normally get +2 or +3, unless you go all out shields (in which case you should be rewarded for burning your XP in both a quality and a specialty you rarely if ever use on its own).

@Cataphract: We are playing that the train level of a second weapon or a shields affects your primary attack too. Hence using a large shield needs a level one speciality in shields.

I've been thinking of that as an idea, so far none of my players has bothered with having two weapons (And I even came up with Two Weapon Fighting qualities :P) or even a shield for that matter.
Cataphract
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jon Hill » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Dear Green Ronin,

Do weapon qualities with numerical values like piercing or shattering multiply with degrees of success?
"In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours."

The Rains of Castamere
Jon Hill
Bystander
Bystander

Postby bjland2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:52 pm

yeah, i will, if have questions i will ask for help. :) Thanks very much inadvance.
bjland2
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:00 pm

[quote=Blood of Valyria]
Add 2 to the results of every Intimidate test and Persuasion test you
make.[/quote]
What does that mean?
1) persuasion without bonus dice gets +2, and only intimidation gets these dice as well
2) all persuasion rolls get +2 but intimidate gets +4
3) something else?
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG