SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Postby Bastoche » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:33 am

Hello,
First of all, sorry for my poor english.
I'm new in the game and I want to use the septon character of the rule book. I note this character has Will=5 with a +1B Coordinate.

We've tried yesterday to play with this character but it's a bit difficult. Regarding to the rule of Coordinate, this character can help actually other characters with a +15 or +20 value on each test.

For example, a character that has 2 in athletism trying to climb the Wall or something else very difficult, must pass a test with difficulty=21. Another standard character assists him (+1 for example), and the septon coordinate.

The septon must only pass a 9 difficulty test with 5D+1B. Very easy for him. Enough easy to have actually 3 or 4 success level. So, according to the rule he can add level * Will (+15 or +20!!! So the Wall is not so hard to climb even for a character with 1 everywhere assisted by a character with 1 everywhere).

Then every test is very very easy to pass for any team when this septon is on the place.

Can you please comment this situation?

Thanks a lot for your time,
B.
Bastoche
Bystander
Bystander

Why Should Anybody Wear Mail?

Postby Grimmerling » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am

I can't imagine the following problem hasn't been addressed already, even if I didn't find any entry:

Mail armour is more expensive than scale, and heavier, while granting less protection for identical penalties and bulk.
Grimmerling
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 am

Rule-wise the issue has not been addressed. The only fix for this is GM arbitration. Coordinate is meant to be used for groups of people completing a "common" task. I would simply rule that it can never be used to grant a bonus on an individual test, such as climbing. Two people trying to bust down a wall can be coordinated. Two people climbing are each on their own, unless one person is god enough to climb AND assist the other.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Bastoche » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 am

kckolbe wrote:Rule-wise the issue has not been addressed. The only fix for this is GM arbitration. Coordinate is meant to be used for groups of people completing a "common" task. I would simply rule that it can never be used to grant a bonus on an individual test, such as climbing. Two people trying to bust down a wall can be coordinated. Two people climbing are each on their own, unless one person is god enough to climb AND assist the other.

Thanks for your answer. Ok my example is not very good. But I just wanted to underlign the fact that characters with high level of Will can add a very high bonus on very difficult tests that they can't pass alone. As the assist, I think that Coordinate needs a limitation.

The solution I found is to limit the bonus to the ability's rank (which is used for the test) of the character that coordinate. Following this, the septon cannot add +20 bonus for test that uses athletism if he has only 2 in athletism (for example).

I think I will use this limitation, but I just wanted to have an official comment about this.

Thanks!
Bastoche
Bystander
Bystander

Postby j.maitner » Mon May 03, 2010 7:41 am

When will the Pocket Edition come out? (or the hard cover with the errata in it)
j.maitner
Bystander
Bystander

negative house fortunes

Postby Mikashi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 pm

The Ward benefit (p. 87) says that you are immune to the negative house fortunes of your foster house. That is the sole advantage for that benefit. It refers you to Chapter 6 for details on negative fortunes. I've read it several times and I don't see anything about negative fortunes that would affect an actual character. All I can find is effects on house attributes. I checked the Narrator chapter, but similarly could not find anything there.

Am I just missing something? Can anyone help me understand what this benefit is supposed to do mechanically?
Mikashi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Anomandaris » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:01 pm

A question concerning unkept dice (aka speciality dice) :

Say i have agility 4 and dodge 2. Is it mandatory to sum up the 4 highest (best) dice or can i chose which dice i want to add up?

I know that this does not seem to make a lot of sense (because in normal play higher is always better) but it could have one possible significant change for house development and it could have impact on damage in combat (if a player wants to "hold back" so that he does not kill an opponent, for example).

Thx.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars
Anomandaris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 am

Unofficial answer...

In general, I would let the person choose the dice they keep. Or perhaps decline to benefit from Degrees of Success if they wanted (this actually works better to avoid the exception below).

The exception IMO would be House Fortunes. So far in my game, the players have managed to get nothing but positive results and overall it's been fairly boring. Letting them pick between results essentially would be even less interesting IMO.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Impale

Postby supercowman24 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 am

I'm a little confused on how the "Impale" weapon quality works. pg. 154

The text says that when you get 3 degrees of success (Say with the War Lance) your opponent is impaled. After he is impaled you roll to hang on to your spear.

An impaled opponent "can't move" and it says you can try to remove the spear to deal extra damage.

So I have three questions.

1: Is it a lesser action or a greater action for the attacker to remove the spear? Meaning can he impale the opponent and remove the spear in the same turn?

2: When it says that the opponent can't move, does that mean he is only incapable of making movement actions and he can still attack/defend/knockdown flawlessly?

3: One of my players who was impaled wanted to use the rules to break a weapon to remove the penalty of having the spear inside of him. If he attacks the weapon and breaks it does that remove all of the penalties of being impaled?

Thanks for your help!
supercowman24
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 am

Unofficial:

1: it doesn't say, so I'm inclined to say Lesser action.

2: I would say yes, they can take other actions normally. I would also rule that if the original attacking player didn't hold onto his weapon, that the impaled character can move, though they now suffer any penalties associated with carrying it (ie, bulk from a lance).

3: I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would have it do the same amount of damage as removing the weapon though, and this would happen on every attack whether it successfully broke the lance or not.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of Impale. Normally the game lets you describe for your character when you take an Injury or Wound, but when describing combat it's hard not to imagine being Impaled as a wound of some sort.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Furious5k » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am

Braavosi Figher III: "Whenever an opponent armed with a Fighting weapon attacks and misses you, you may make a single attack against him as a Free Action."

Page 159 (top left): "You may make only one attack in a round, regardless of action it requires;"

As written, this would mean you can't get any free attacks if you have already attacked (being an Agility fighter you probably would go first). Surely the point of the benefit is not to use your actions for other things in hopes that an opponent will miss you and you will get to attack them as a free action?

Similarly, the Berserker benefit seems to lose any real worth.
Furious5k
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 am

Furious5k wrote:Braavosi Figher III: "Whenever an opponent armed with a Fighting weapon attacks and misses you, you may make a single attack against him as a Free Action."

Page 159 (top left): "You may make only one attack in a round, regardless of action it requires;"

As written, this would mean you can't get any free attacks if you have already attacked (being an Agility fighter you probably would go first). Surely the point of the benefit is not to use your actions for other things in hopes that an opponent will miss you and you will get to attack them as a free action?

Similarly, the Berserker benefit seems to lose any real worth.

There are exceptions to the only one attack a round rule. For example, if you spend a destiny point or take a fatigue point to get an extra action, you could use that action for another attack. Likewise, the BR FTR III benefit is an exception to the rule. You get an extra attack and still get your full allotment of actions on your turn.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Re: negative house fortunes

Postby Jon Snow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:13 am

Mikashi wrote:The Ward benefit (p. 87) says that you are immune to the negative house fortunes of your foster house. That is the sole advantage for that benefit. It refers you to Chapter 6 for details on negative fortunes. I've read it several times and I don't see anything about negative fortunes that would affect an actual character. All I can find is effects on house attributes. I checked the Narrator chapter, but similarly could not find anything there.

Am I just missing something? Can anyone help me understand what this benefit is supposed to do mechanically?

I handle this in a couple of ways. First, mechanically, if the house's influence drops enough to warrant the members temporarily lose status it doesn't effect the ward. But more than that the ward isn't effected by the negative reputation. This is really up to the GM and not in the mechanics. If the house is being scorned for some reason the ward wouldn't have to suffer the same ridicule the others do.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby jhonsadins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 pm

but their entry list a Wealth cost without specifing if this cost substitutes or suplements the power one.
jhonsadins
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Furious5k » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Does a weapon with Bulk only slow down your movement when you are weilding it or when you are just carrying it also (e.g. shield strapped to the back)?
Furious5k
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Paedrig » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:15 am

Castel Forged Shilds and Armory

In de SoIaF-Campaign Guide, often the NPC have excellent or supperior weapons and armors. But some of the stats seems to differ a bit to much.

I meen an excellent shield, which have Defense +4 (like a large shild, but not so bulky)...

And How are the stats of castel forged armors?

It seems to me, that at some ponts the have Armor Rate+1 and Armor Penalty-1, but sometimes they are much better (in fact to good f. e. the armor of Ser Barristan Selmy and Jaime Lannister seems to unbalanced to me).

Are there explicit rules for Castel Forged Shilds and Armors? :-?

P. S. Please Excuse me, if my English is not the best. It's not my native speach... :wink:
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby talam » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Is there a revised rewards table somewhere? I've forum searched and looked at the errata but couldn't find anything. I find it odd that a Godsworn (with a combat defense of like 12 was it?) is considered a harder challenge than an Anointed Knight in terms of combat when built according to the sample archetypes.
talam
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NTaylor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:11 am

Do rolls of 6 count as crits when rolling virulance for poison?
NTaylor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bowerpower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Meant to post here rather than start a new thread.

Where are the costs for buying Poison?
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Bowerpower wrote:Meant to post here rather than start a new thread.

Where are the costs for buying Poison?

Page 133
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Bowerpower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

I have the pocket edition and in that one it's not 133. Could someone either give me the pocket # or tell me what it's near in the book? Thanks!

Actually looking at the non-pocket on 133 in my friends book, that is the same page I have elsewhere in the pocket, but it lists no costs. It tells what they do but I am looking to see how much money a PC would need to spend to buy them.
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ajes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 am

Bowerpower wrote:I have the pocket edition and in that one it's not 133. Could someone either give me the pocket # or tell me what it's near in the book? Thanks!

Actually looking at the non-pocket on 133 in my friends book, that is the same page I have elsewhere in the pocket, but it lists no costs. It tells what they do but I am looking to see how much money a PC would need to spend to buy them.

Table 7-8 on page 133 (v. 1.1) of the non-pocket book has the prices. I dont have the regular 1.0 book at hand, but I think its the same table in that one.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bowerpower » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Thank you. The table 7-8 in the PDF I have of the hardcover is on page 134. In my pocket guide there IS NO table 7-8.

The chapter goes from 7-1,7-2,then 7-7 for some reason, then 3,4,5,and 6. So the pocket guide forgot a table.
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bowerpower » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 pm

One other question..The stats for Langley Woods appear to be missing from the Peril at King's Landing book. Are they printed anywhere?
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Facing and Movement in Warfare

Postby bjmyers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

I am having some trouble with facing and movement in Warfare.

1) Do you have to move forward or can you move any direction?
-I'm assuming you do.

2) Can you still turn while moving using facing rules?
-If you can not are there any differences between move and sprint other than how far you travel?
-If you can, how much? Maybe a quarter turn per 10 yards traveled?Do you test "wheel" every time you turn while moving?

3) Should you get a free quarter turn or something every round?

As you can tell I'm a little confused.
bjmyers
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG