SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 am

There is nothing to prevent you from having repeats of the same type of event (though the details of the event to could completely different).
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby bhawthorne » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 pm

thanks jsnow. anothe4r question when the steward roles for house fortune does he use the status of the house or his own?
bhawthorne
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm

The steward or acting steward would use his own status (stewardship) when making the roll.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby bhawthorne » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 pm

ok and if a head of house or heir wants to become an anointed knight do they need a sponsor?
bhawthorne
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Heir - yes

Though perhaps not strictly required. Jaime was the son of the Warden of the West/Hand of the King/one of the most powerful nobles in Westeros and was knighted when appointed to the Kingsguard. The one time I might make an exception to this is if the father is/was a knight.

Head of House - tough to say... I would probably guess no.

Remember, in general that "Ser" is a lower ranking title than "Lord". A head of house who wants to be knight essentially just really wants to say the vow of a knight, it isn't going to increase his standing in any real way.

There isn't really much rules on knights in Westeros (talking about cultural rules, not game rules). It seems like all it takes is another knight to approve and a sept to stay awake all night in, poof, you're a knight. The game mechanics (ie, having the quality) to me really implies that you take being a knight very seriously and that being a knight is a very important aspect of your character, instead of just being a Ser in front of your name.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Ser Steffon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:26 am

I don't know if I've missed something, but what is the cost of a castleforged weapon? Are they the same price as the standard weapon, or did I miss a muliplier somewhere in the rules (none of my players can find it either)?
Ser Steffon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ser Steffon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 pm

I think I've found an answer: same price, but you need to acquire them ingame, and negotiate a price with a seasoned merchant (plus you've already bought the old stuff). Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll work with that.
Ser Steffon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Paedrig » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:03 am

I have a few Question concerning mounted Fight.

[b]2[/b] On page 56 it is said, that a fighter on a war trained horse get his animal handling as bonus dice

But on page 159 (Rules for mounted fight) there I found nothing of this - only, that you get one Bonus dice, if you fight against a footsoldier

3. On Page 58 it is said, that you use Athletic, to pull a mounted enemy from his horse, but on page 160 you use Fighting to do this
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:11 am

Paedrig wrote:I have a few Question concerning mounted Fight.

2 On page 56 it is said, that a fighter on a war trained horse get his animal handling as bonus dice

But on page 159 (Rules for mounted fight) there I found nothing of this - only, that you get one Bonus dice, if you fight against a footsoldier

3. On Page 58 it is said, that you use Athletic, to pull a mounted enemy from his horse, but on page 160 you use Fighting to do this

As for pullling a rider from a mount:

1. Fighting test vs. Combat Defense to hit.
2. If the hit is successful then Athletics vs. Passive Animal Handling to pull rider from the mount.

And rember I'm not official :D but it is what I've got jotted down from FAQ, errata, and discussions with Rob.
Last edited by Jon Snow on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 am

Ser Steffon wrote:I don't know if I've missed something, but what is the cost of a castleforged weapon? Are they the same price as the standard weapon, or did I miss a muliplier somewhere in the rules (none of my players can find it either)?

It's a Superior weapon. Superior weapons cost twice as much common weapons (see page 124).

Having invested in an Artisan weaponsmith could remove the extra cost.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Paedrig » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanks for the Help.
Hmm... This make Pulling a mounted fighter from his horse much harder, as I asumed. But I think, this is good. Make it more balanced.
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby pasiro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 am

Jon Snow wrote:It's a Superior weapon. Superior weapons cost twice as much common weapons (see page 124).

I can't find anywhere in the book on page 124 that states this :-?
pasiro
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:37 am

In the updated pdf (v1.1) it says Superior weapons are twice the cost.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby pasiro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 am

Right, I get it, another instance of when people who by the bloody books get screwed
pasiro
Bystander
Bystander

Postby tannjew » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 am

I'm a little bit confused about the intrigue action "fast talk" (p. 145). The book says that the victim looses his Cunning rank from his Intrigue Defense as a result of "fast talk".
In my opinion a character with a lower Cunning rank should loose more from his Intrigue Defense than one with a high rank. Or does the victim loose the "Attackers" Cunning rank from his Intrigue Defense?
Last edited by tannjew on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tannjew
Bystander
Bystander

Postby tannjew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 am

And a second question, also about Intrigue: What ist the difference between the action "Quit" (p. 145) and the option of "Yielding" (p. 146)?
tannjew
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jojo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 pm

The action Quit allows to no longer be part of the intrigue. It means to avoid the consequence of defeat. Though it may offend people, or sometimes to quit is not possible.
The action Yield allows to negociate terms of defeat.
jojo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Balerion » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 am

I'm sorry - perhaps I'm blind, but is there a pdf with all the FAQ anywhere to download from? I've searched this forum and the website, can't see it anywhere!
Balerion
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jason.richardson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Balerion wrote:I'm sorry - perhaps I'm blind, but is there a pdf with all the FAQ anywhere to download from? I've searched this forum and the website, can't see it anywhere!

No. Neither the errata. For some strange reason Green Ronin doesn't think that's a good idea. Maybe they're just ashamed to place all the errata in a single place. It is quite a lot. I copied and pasted all the errata and FAQ into a word document and it was over 14 pages long.
jason.richardson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Balerion » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 am

greetings everyone, just a few rules-related questions:
1) Can someone explain with an example how 'assist' action works? And coordinate? Can you combine them?
2) Is there a rule for ganging up on one person? Is one knight fighting 4 bandits hindered in any way? (Bonus dice or something for the bandits).
Balerion
Bystander
Bystander

Warhammers?

Postby bluehellion » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:50 am

Hi, under the rules warhammers have the following qualities- bulk 1, powerful, shattering 2, slow, two handed. Its base damage is athletics.

Under the weapon description the warhammer is about 3 foot in length and the maul seems to be essentially a two handed warhammer. Is the two handed quality of this weapon correct especially as the base damage is much lower than that of other tw handed weapons such as the long axe the maul, the greatsword and flail all athletics +3. Although the warhammer has shattering 2 and the powerfull qualities it's also burdened with slow, bulk 1 and two handed. If the weapon is meant to be two handed shouldn't it have a greater damage range in line with the other two handed weapons of similar type? Personally I think that it should be a one handed weapon but I thought I'd try and get some clarification.

Thanks
bluehellion
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am

Anything with shattering becomes more effective the longer the fight lasts. For example, if you built a character with any shattering weapon and shield, eventually any heavily armored foe of comparable "caliber" would lose. Shattering weapons on average do less damage because it is expected that on each attack they will do more damage than the previous round. So, admittedly, for a lot of builds, bludgeoning weapons are not ideal, but if "min maxed can be much more powerful than the others. I personally think the ball and chain might be too strong.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Foreigner tongues

Postby Snowchild » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:39 pm

If I want to play as someone that comes from across the Narrow Sea, can I change the rules so my character starts with a language skill of 2 in a different language, and then I can spend xp to get the common language?

For example, could I start with Language: Braavosi and spend 40 xp to raise it up to level 4, then spend another 40 xp to get Language: Common up to level 2? It is cheaper on xp costs this way than if Common started at 2 and Braavosi started at 0.
Snowchild
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jace Snow » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Its your game. Of course you can. Makes perfect sense. I'm currently doing something similar in my own game.
"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act. -Jamie Lannister-
Jace Snow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Roland Stone » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:45 pm

The Animal Cohort Benefit says: "Whenever you roll Fighting tests in combat and your animal is nearby, add +1D to your fighting test."
Is this meant to represent the animal fighting together with you, in a well-coordinated way - that is you get the bonus only if the animal is actually fighting? If not, how near is "nearby"?
Roland Stone
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG