SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Postby Ajes » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Could you please elaborate on table 11-9, Falling Damage (p. 205)? Say you have to take damage for a 30 yard fall, the table says you take 1 W per 2 yards. Is this damage cumulative with the two previous categories, so you also take health damage and injuries, or do you only take wound damage? Also, would you take 30 yards/2=15 wounds or only 10 yards/2=5 wounds?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby RJS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:46 am

Addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Ajes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:32 am

Is there any way of improving an opponents disposition during an intrigue? If you for example use charm, you only improve the opponents disposition when he's defeated, ie. after the intrigue is over.

I'm asking because of the consequence of defeat of bargain. In this technique the effect is dependant on the targets disposition at the end of the intrigue. This seems a bit strange as it is impossible to raise the opponents disposition, while he may chose to lower it every round if he has not been successfully influenced. Maybe I missed something?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Ajes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 am

The size modifier to combat defense has not been added to the creatures in the bestiary.

A courser, fx, should have combat defence 3 (agi) + 5 (ath) + 3 (awa) - 2 (size) = 9, and not 11 as stated.

The same goes for the small creatures such as hound and raven (and possibly wolf?), who should all have +2 combat defense.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Ajes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 am

Im confused about a correction to mounts in the FAQ. Its states:

"When mounted on a steed trained for war, the steed is assumed to be attacking (hence the increased damage on a Fighting test described on page 159). Do note that you have to spend the lesser action to control a war-trained steed anyway"

I thought you didnt have to spend an action to control a war trained mount? Or does this mean that you have to spend a lesser action to gain the increase in damage from the mount?

Sorry for the confusion.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Edit: Nevermind :)
Last edited by Jon Snow on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Ajes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 am

The squire template on p. 39 has the Furtive quality. However, he doesnt have the 4 Stealth (Sneak 1B) requirement to take it. It also states he gains +4 to stealth when sneaking, however, I see no reason for it?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby kckolbe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:38 am

Bear in mind that the templates were created for quick start rules, before the rules were fully worked out, so there are a lot of things that don't make sense. Those templates account for as much errata as damn near the rest of the book. I tend to not look too much into them, personally.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby pasiro » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:47 am

kckolbe wrote:Bear in mind that the templates were created for quick start rules, before the rules were fully worked out, so there are a lot of things that don't make sense. Those templates account for as much errata as damn near the rest of the book. I tend to not look too much into them, personally.

When you spend £20 on a book you expect the templates to match the rules though :wink:
pasiro
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ajes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:35 pm

On p .52 under "Rank 8 or Higher" it says that shadowcats have rank 8 in awareness and stealth. However, in the bestiary on p. 213 they only have rank 5 in these two abilities, which seems a bit low to me. Is this an error?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:37 am

Ajes wrote:On p .52 under "Rank 8 or Higher" it says that shadowcats have rank 8 in awareness and stealth. However, in the bestiary on p. 213 they only have rank 5 in these two abilities, which seems a bit low to me. Is this an error?

From the errata:

Rank 8 or Higher (Replacement); SIFRP, Page 52
Replace the last sentence with the following:

Dragons can exceed rank 8 in Athletics, Endurance, and Fighting.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:10 pm

If the Population for your domain is high enough to indicate that you would have significant settlements, must you invest Land resources or can you just assume you have the communities and not invest to get the Terrain effects from p 176?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Ajes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

Jon Snow wrote:
Ajes wrote:On p .52 under "Rank 8 or Higher" it says that shadowcats have rank 8 in awareness and stealth. However, in the bestiary on p. 213 they only have rank 5 in these two abilities, which seems a bit low to me. Is this an error?

From the errata:

This was not what I was asking though, I'm asking if its a mistake in the bestiary that shadowcats have rank 5 in awareness and stealth, as it states on p. 52 that shadowcats have rank 8 in these two abilities.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 am

Ajes wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:

From the errata:

This was not what I was asking though, I'm asking if its a mistake in the bestiary that shadowcats have rank 5 in awareness and stealth, as it states on p. 52 that shadowcats have rank 8 in these two abilities.

I had asked the same question. The errata indicates that the error was on p. 52 and not in the statblock.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Animal Handling Bonus to FIghting

Postby magicotter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:50 am

Two questions / clarifications to Animal Handling in Combat:

page 57, under Animal Handling, Other Uses it says:

"When mounted on a war-trained steed,you may add your animal handling rank as bonus dice on your fighting tests."

-This is not repeated in the combat section under mounted combat, is this bonus in addition to all other bonuses?

-Also, I assume this bonus applies in jousts as well, is this assumption correct?

Thanks,

Scot
magicotter
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NeoSamurai » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 am

Two questions: Setting information

What's the month to season ratio per the default year for Westeros? What's the longest a season has gone in recent memory?
NeoSamurai
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tower of Joy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:07 am

In the posting http://greenronin.com/sifrp/2008/07/sifrp_conflict.php there is a listing for jaime's armor as superior. I would like to validate that this is an addition to the core rules and that the bonuses apply in kind to all armor types.
Tower of Joy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Bear in mind that those numbers were well before the rules had been finalized, and that any superior armor would confer a much smaller bonus. As a House Rule in my game, we allow either +1 AR or -1 AP, purchaser's choice.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Sarren-The-Red » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:29 am

Is Domain size of 3miles an error- if not can you explain the lands system
Does a House actually have sway over more land than the total of thier domains? If so how does one calculate this.

It may seem a dumb question - but as I parcel out and cut up the North and build rival houses I need some kind of base line for this.

Thanks

Martin
Sarren-The-Red
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ajes » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:28 am

Are there no more weekly FAQ updates? Can we get an overview of the differences between v 1.0 and v 1.1 of the core rolebook?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby zebuleon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:26 pm

for Knockdown. is Strength used? or is it just a straight Athletics test.
zebuleon
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Ajes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:12 pm

When you spend a destiny point to convert a bonus die to a test die, do you do so before or after you have rolled the dice? Same goes for burning a destiny point to convert all bonus dice to test dice.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Maester question

Postby mrobitsc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I love the game and the books. My question is how can you play a maester and still have the maester quality? It takes all your destiny points to do it. Was this a error?
Thanks.
Marc
mrobitsc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 pm

This is the 5th question in the FAQ

Maesters
Q) Can I be a Maester of the Citadel without having the Maester benefit?
A) Yes. Not having the Maester benefit means you don’t improve a house’s standing (having a maester grants a +3 bonus to Fortunes rolls) and you don’t get to add Cunning to Knowledge and Will tests.

If you can't afford to buy the quality initially, you can just be an apprentice maester. They sometimes send out apprentices to study under serving maesters. If the players house doesn't buy the services of the maester, have them come up with a brief explanation for why they still have an apprentice, but not a full maester (perhaps he was recalled back recently, died, promoted, etc).
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

historical devastation!!

Postby bhawthorne » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:47 am

Is there a rule for how many times a house can get a historical event? I only ask because my players got scandal twice, revolt twice, and doom.
thanx
bhawthorne
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG