SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Postby Aulii » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:19 pm

This has been somewhat addressed already, but now I'm wondering if the errata needs to be errata'd.

The Hedge Knight's war lance was dropped to 4D, but the lance specialty was changed to spears...so shouldn't it be back up to 4D+1B again since the specialty now covers his weapon?
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Aulii wrote:This has been somewhat addressed already, but now I'm wondering if the errata needs to be errata'd.

The Hedge Knight's war lance was dropped to 4D, but the lance specialty was changed to spears...so shouldn't it be back up to 4D+1B again since the specialty now covers his weapon?

If you have the specialty you lose the bonus dice required by the training. If he didn't have the specialty in Spears, he would have a Fighting of 4D-1D with the War Lance (he would take a -1D penalty). So a 4D is correct.
Last edited by Jon Snow on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Aulii » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:03 pm

The "Example" revision should be pg. 167, methinks, not 168.
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aulii » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Jon Snow wrote:
Aulii wrote:This has been somewhat addressed already, but now I'm wondering if the errata needs to be errata'd.

If you have the specialty you lose the bonus dice required by the training. If he didn't have the specialty in Spears, he would have a Fighting of 3 with the War Lance (he would take a -1D penalty). So a 4D is correct.

Ah, okay, missed that bit. Thanks.
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Archetypes

Godsworn p.32 Fighting with Large shield should be 2D-1D.

Hedge Knight - Looks like his Awareness should be 3. That's how it is listed for his awareness checks and it fixes the problem of his combat defense and intrigue defense. It checks out as far as points spent, too.

His Health should be 14 due to his Blood of the First Men.

Maester p. 35 Sprint should be 15 I believe(Robes have a Bulk of 1). The errata has it as 16

Retainer p. 37Armor Rating of 5 (Ring with Armor Mastery)

Scout p. 38 Combat Defense should be 10 with a dagger.

Squire p. 39 Intrigue Defense should be 9.
It lists his defense with a shield - it should be buckler.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Aulii » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Not a rules question 'per se', but, now that we have a new supplement, in case we find anything there we need addressed, should we place the questions here or should we have a new thread for rules questions and answers?
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:43 am

Addressed.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

The large shield diagram on p. 111 looks to have the Sinister and Dexter misplaced. From the bearer's perspective they should be reversed. This will also change some of the fields and ordinaries. Particularly, the Bend and Bend Sinister, per Bend and per Bend Sinister. I'm no heraldry expert so not sure if it affects others like Bendlets.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Ninasie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Table 10-1: Unit Starting Equipment

states that Cavalry's fighting damage is based on Athletics+3

The abilities for the Cavalry unit is Agility, Animal Handing and Fighting

Why do they have Agility?

Should not the damage be Animal Handling +4 (War Lance)?
Ninasie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 am

I'm really under the gun with other projects, so there won't be updates on Monday. I hope to questions before Gen Con though.

Thanks!
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Ajes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:12 am

When mounted, does your bulk (from armor, weapons, carried equipment etc) reduce the mounts movement?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 pm

Would a unit of knights (cavalry) gain all the benefits of Mounted Attacks as listed on p 159?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Characters vs. Understrength units

I've had a couple of skirmishes where I've scaled down the Unit size to 20-25 men. When like sized units are attacking each other no scaling (other than battlefield square size) is necessary. That has already been covered.

However, how should I handle individuals versus 20-25 men. One option I've used is to let use the Attack Portions of Units on p 179 and had the unit lose a health point for every 2 men defeated.

But I also want to use the Individual vs. Unit stuff. Should I leave the bonuses the Unit gets (+2D Fighting & +20 Defense) or should I adjust them. I'm reluctanct to change the +2D Fighting. Being surrounded by 20-25 men is just as deadly as being amongst 100, I think. The defense may need to be adjusted (but not much if any). I was thinking of +15 defense for an understrength unit.

What do you think? Should these numbers be adjusted any if an individual is taking on a unit of 20-25 men? And if so, what would you put them at?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Irontruth » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 pm

I've used understrength sized units mostly as well. I've stuck with the normal modifiers though. If you're still using enough people to make it necessary to use unit rules, I think individuals should be at risk. The badass combat monsters in your group can still try to go it alone and shine through, but most fighters should just attach to a unit and lead them to glory.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby RJS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Sorry folks, I'm still buried. This is first on my to do list when I get back from Gen Con
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Ajes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 am

Table 10-6 on p. 183 states that you should subtract -1 each time the unit was disorganized. Wouldnt this make it impossible to roll a 6 on routed and destroyed, as a unit will always be disorganized before routed/destroyed? Also, shouldnt it say, "Subtract -1 each time after the first the unit was disorganized"?

If a unit is disorganized, and then reorganized back to damaged, should you still subtract the penalty, or is it only when the unit is disorganized at the end of the battle?
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Aulii » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Does Triple Shot need some errata? It seems extremely broken (granted, having a 7 in Marksmanship with 5B in Bows is min-maxed pretty hard) in that even with the penalty, you're making three attacks at, bare minimum, 5D+5B. You already had a 50% chance of beating an 18 with just the 5D, I don't want to calculate the math with the bonus dice involved.

With no other Martial Quality requiring stats that high, I'm simply curious why, at that point, you'd need three attacks. Perhaps if there was an equivalent melee quality that would let you skip having to split your dice for multiple attacks (a whirlwind attack with an axe?) it wouldn't seem quite as unbalanced.
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:45 am

I like the idea of allowing a melee equivalent. Weapons with the Fast quality require no prerequisite, and would likely be used by anyone who would wish multiple melee attacks. That in mind, perhaps a benefit that granted +1D (per extra attack) when splitting attacks? That, combined with a fast weapon would make divided attacks far more feasible in melee. I would consider Fighting 4, 2B any melee weapon the prereq.
If you wish to continue, you could add a second benefit that raised the bonus to +2D. Fighting 6, 4B any melee for this one.

All in all, the archery one would still be more useful, as archers can pick their targets, whereas melee has to be in range of both. However, the melee one has a lower prerequisite, and again, expect an extra +1B from fast weapons, as people who specialize in this will most likely use them (especially the spear, for increased range, allowing more opportunities to attack multiple foes)
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby lordbastard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:01 am

How does the training penalty for shields work? For example large shields have a 1B training penalty and tower shields have a 2B training penalty. Do the penalties only apply when bashing someone with your shield or do they need to be accounted for when you are attacking with a sword in your other hand? For example if I have Fighting 4 Long Blades 2B and am wielding a long sword in one hand and a large shield in the other hand, am I still attacking at 4D 2B with my longsword or does the large shield penalty reduce that?
lordbastard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby lordbastard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 am

My group has a question on the "read target" action in an intrigue. The book states if you "equal or beat your target's test result, you learn the target's current disposition and the technique he uses for this exchange".

How much info do you get about the "honesty" of their technique if you beat the check? What we specifically want to know is whether you learn for example simply that your opponent is using "charm" as his technique vs. whether you learn whether your opponent is genuinely trying to "charm" you with a persuasion test or is in fact substituting a deception test to simulate a "charm" with an "act" check in order to charm you under false pretenses?
lordbastard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:46 am

As for the Triple/Double shot, I'm changing them to bonuses for the divided attack option. I already have an archer who is laying waste to most of my combat scenarios. I don't mind him being deadly, but I don't need him taking out 3 knights in full plate every round.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Diesmali » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:23 am

From the FAQ/updates thread (Maester correction p35):

"Movement 4 * Sprint 15

Explanation
Movement: 4 (base) − 0 = 4 yards
Sprint: [4 (movement) x 4 (action)] = 16 yards. "

is it 15 or 16?

/Johan
Diesmali
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:52 pm

lordbastard wrote:How does the training penalty for shields work? For example large shields have a 1B training penalty and tower shields have a 2B training penalty. Do the penalties only apply when bashing someone with your shield or do they need to be accounted for when you are attacking with a sword in your other hand? For example if I have Fighting 4 Long Blades 2B and am wielding a long sword in one hand and a large shield in the other hand, am I still attacking at 4D 2B with my longsword or does the large shield penalty reduce that?

Since Rob is at Gencon and it might be a bit before he answers, I thought I might jump in here to help you. The training penalty applies when you make an attack test with the weapon. So you would take the penalty when attacking with a large shield but not while attacking with a longsword while holding a large shield.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Diesmali wrote:From the FAQ/updates thread (Maester correction p35):

"Movement 4 * Sprint 15

Explanation
Movement: 4 (base) − 0 = 4 yards
Sprint: [4 (movement) x 4 (action)] = 16 yards. "

is it 15 or 16?

/Johan

There should be a -1 penalty due to the bulk of the maester's robes. So the final tally should be 15.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Wanted to get clarification on Free Attacks and Reach p. 169.

It says that you trigger a free attack when you begin in reach of an opponent and spend a Lesser Action to move more than 1 yard.

My group is using the Advanced reach rules. I'm assuming that when it says in reach it means at the optimum reach of the weapon and not the entire range of the weapon. Also, if someone has two weapons, I've allowed them to use either weapon when determining if they have a weapon at optimum range. This makes the Shield and taking bonus dice in it much more useful - they still get a free attack at reach 0!

Also, it mentions someone taking a Lesser Action to move more than 1 yard while in reach. Should I take this as it is written and allow characters to take Greater Actions like Charging and Sprinting to move through the reach without provoking a free attack?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG