SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 pm

Under Treat Injury on p. 61 it says a patient must be under the care of a healer at least an hour a day to benefit.

Under Healing p 163 it says a healer must devote four hours to the patient.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Using Siege Engines to attack fortifications

Postby hkdharmon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:38 pm

On Page 178 siege engines are given athletics scores for tearing down fortifications, bu the use of this score is never explained. How does one actually destroy a fortification?
hkdharmon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vargo Hoat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Was there any play testing done before GR printed this game? Or is this the beta release?

Did I buy my way into a beta test?

Do I get a prize when the beta is over? Discount on 2nd Edition?
Vargo Hoat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ser Jon Allyrion » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Vargo Hoat wrote:Was there any play testing done before GR printed this game? Or is this the beta release?

Did I buy my way into a beta test?

Do I get a prize when the beta is over? Discount on 2nd Edition?

Someone's in a good mood. Criticism is one thing but you are on a rampage. ;) There are enough systems out there, that are worse than SIFRP. And reading your post on the armor sucks thread I have to agree with Irontruth. Seems like you haven't figured out all the possibilities of this system yet. Have you even tried to run a session?
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell!"
Ser Jon Allyrion
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:22 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Reckless Attack on page 168. It states that the benefits last until the start of your next turn. If I spend a destiny point to gain another lesser action to attack will I receive the +1D bonus on that attack as well for fighting recklessly.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Table 9-7 lists small shield, medium shiled, large shield - should be shield, shield, large, shield, tower.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

One of my players has invested a destiny point into Cohort. Should I allow the cohort to gain experience like the other characters?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby RJS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:30 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 pm

On p. 166 under Smash it says that you reduce an objects difficulty by your damage multiplied by degree. The example on the next page appears to reduce the damage by one step from 12 to 9 (unless it was just an error and should be 7).
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 pm

On p. 166 under Break it mentions that a success reduces the Difficulty by 5 per degree. I was wondering if this should be 3 per degree? I know that the 5 point increments were changed on p 29.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Aulii » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:21 pm

I was told to toss this question over here from a different thread.

Pg. 182

If a player is attached to a unit in combat, does the damage the character take stack? If they're attached to a unit that's disorganized and then routed, does the character take 7 points (2 for disorganized and 5 for routed) or do they take 9 (1 for taking damage, 2 for disorganized, 1 for taking damage again, 5 for routed). The way the rules are written, it seems that damage applies first, then the status changes, which would imply it stacks, which makes the system suddenly a lot more lethal in mass combat.
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aulii » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Pg. 182 again.

When a unit becomes routed, how soon does it immediately sprint away from the enemy? If it's as soon as they become routed, it's almost impossible for an infantry to ever actually destroy a routed force.
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aulii » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Since apparently my group isn't the only one to ponder this, I'll toss it here, too.

Pg. 181/182

Does the +3 discipline difficulty stack at all if a unit is disorganized more than once? Or once you reorganize them, does that just completely reset and then go back to +3 when they're disorganized again? It even says "the unit removes all damage but keeps the penalties." while the description for Organize says "restore their Discipline."
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby phild » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm

p55 states that if you sprint, you lose your Agility contribution to Combat Defence. This isn't mentioned under the Sprint action on p. 160 or under Combat Defence on p. 150.
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby phild » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:07 pm

There is no defensive benefit to having Bonus dice in Fighting (Shield), despite this being a minimum requirement of the Shield Mastery quality. If a character armed with a shield choses a "Dodge" action (p.160), can they:

a. use Fighting + Shield instead of Agility + Dodge
b. use Agility + Dodge + Shield (up to the usual limit on speciality dice)
c. use Agility + Shield

(in all cases then further adding the standard Defensive bonus for being equipped with a shield)
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby phild » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 pm

What is the relationship between the Shattering quality and the rules for Smash / Smashing Weapons (p.166/7)? Do weapons with the Shattering quality gain a bonus on Smash tests of any kind?

Smashing Weapons on p. 167 refers to "the Weapon's difficulty". What are the difficulty numbers for smashing different weapons. What impact does the weapon quality (bronze, castle-forged, valyrian) have on this value?
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby phild » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:21 pm

If a character has a Flawed Attribute does this affect their eligibility for Qualities? E.g. can a character with Marksmanship 4 plus Flaw (Marksmanship) select the "Accurate" quality?

Similarly, does the Expertise quality allow characters to access Qualities they might otherwise not be eligible for? E.g. can a character with Marksmanship 4 (Bows 3B) and Expertise (Bows) take the "Double Shot" quality?

Also similarly, do flaws reduce the maximum number of bonus dice a character can have in an attribute? If so, should a detrimental quality be earned in-game, should a characters Speciality score be reduced? Or should the Speciality score remain as it was, but the PC can only access a limited number of the dice until and unless they increase the governing ability?
e.g. a character with Athletics 3 (Strength 3) loses a leg and acquires the Maimed quality in combat. Are they now Athletics 3-1D (Strength 3), Athletics 3-1D (Strength 3-1B) or Athletics 2 (Strength 2)?

Also similarly, Status (Breeding) allows bonus dice to be earned to persuade individuals with Status 4 or higher. Will this apply against Jaime Lannister who has the qualities Man of Kingsguard, Reviled and Ignoble, and thus has either Status 5 (-2D) or Status 3?
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Aulii » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 pm

I guess I have one more question, which is made moot by another question.

Question 1: Do siege weapons have the same '-1D for every 100 yards' penalty? If so, ignore #2.

Question 2: Imagine the following scene, if you will. Kingdom A starts out on the shoreline, and decides to invest in four scorpions. They have some veteran engineers, so it's not too difficult to give orders to them. I pose that it's now impossible for most fleets to be able to invade this kingdom. The reason?

Suppose we have a fleet of ten units of warships. They're coming to invade Kingdom A. At 500 yards out, A fires a warning shot since, well, it's a fleet of 50 ships coming at them, odds are it isn't a peaceful trade fleet. Combat begins. We have ten units of warships at 501 yards, and they have a commander with, say, a 5 Warfare. Kingdom A has a commander with a Warfare of 4. The seige weapons can't do much since they're out of range, so they sit. Five units move forward, reaching the 440 yard mark. Kingdom A's ground troops shift nervously. Next turn, two scorpions fire. Assuming the engineers can roll even just barely below average, they can hit the ships, since no formation keeps you safe from siege weapons. And even rolling just below average, there's two degrees of success, meaning your warship's now disorganized. Oh, and with another below average shot, so's the one next to it.

It takes 10 turns for a ship to cross 500 yards. With four scorpions, you can, statistically speaking, assume you can destroy at least one-two ships every two turns. It doesn't seem at all possible for those ships to reach the coast and drop off any troops, unless I'm missing something or Kingdom A has some seriously bad die rolls in a row. Am I? Is the armor penetration of scorpions not supposed to work against ships? It just seems that either scorpions are horribly broken, or warships are almost useless in an actual fight unless they only fight other warships, but not against siege weapons (after all, why wouldn't you use scorpions instead of catapults?).
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Aulii » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 pm

On pg. 185, it says a unit can do a split attack. "Bonus dice derived from specialties or other sources may be similarly divided..."

I haven't seen anywhere that units can have specialties. Should that part be cut?
Aulii
Bystander
Bystander

Postby phild » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:13 pm

What is the relationship between the Awareness (Empathy) ability on p58 and the Read Target action on p.145. The former tests Awareness roll vs. passive Persuasion to reveal disposition and "each additional degree of success reveals a more refined look at the target's agenda". The latter tests Awareness vs. passive Deception to learn the current disposition, the technique he uses for the exchange and an additional +1D (with no additional benefit from extra degrees).
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:30 pm

On p210, the Assassin's attack with a stiletto should be 4D not 4d+1B due to the training requirements of the stiletto.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby phild » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:12 am

Do flaws and other qualities imposing penalty dice reduce passive results by 4 for each die?

Do flaws and other qualities imposing penalty dice affect Figured Attributes (Combat Defence, Intrigue Defence, Health, Composure)? If not, then the Hedge Knight template should have Combat Defence of 7 (Agi 4 + Ath 4 + Awa 4 - 5 for Half Plate = 7). If so, then the Retainer template should have Intrigue Defence of 7 (Awa 3 + Cun 2 -1 + Status 3 = 7). Similarly with the Scout for Health.
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jon Snow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 am

phild wrote:Do flaws and other qualities imposing penalty dice reduce passive results by 4 for each die?

Do flaws and other qualities imposing penalty dice affect Figured Attributes (Combat Defence, Intrigue Defence, Health, Composure)? If not, then the Hedge Knight template should have Combat Defence of 7 (Agi 4 + Ath 4 + Awa 4 - 5 for Half Plate = 7). If so, then the Retainer template should have Intrigue Defence of 7 (Awa 3 + Cun 2 -1 + Status 3 = 7). Similarly with the Scout for Health.

Just in case you needed an answer soon (I know Rob usually posts on each Sunday) I thought I would give you some unofficial help :)

Flaws affect all tests - Passive tests included. So, yes it would reduce your passive result by 4 (like you had one less dice).

It would not affect your derived scores like combat defense and intrigue defense or health or things like this that are not tests. The archetypes you mentioned are in error. I'm gonna go over them and check the others now :wink:
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG