Drawbacks at character creation

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Drawbacks at character creation

Postby Arcturus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:01 am

On page 49, during Step Six of character creation, there is a table which lists the drawbacks you take as a result of age. The table seems to suggest you don't start with a drawback unless you're and Adult or older.
However, on page 88 it says that all characters start with one drawback, usually a flaw unless other narrator allows you to take a quality-like drawback.

I'm a bit confused how those two statements overlap, but I think it's supposed to be something like this:
All characters start with one flaw. If you're a young adult or younger, you take one flaw of your choosing. If you're an adult, you can take a drawback rather than a flaw. If you're middle aged, your flaw has to be one of Agility, Athletics or Endurance. If you're old, you get one drawback, and your flaw has to be in Agility, Athletics etc.

Is that right?
I also thought that page 88 might just be in need of errata, since it seems strange that table 3-11 doesn't include the flaw for the young characters.

The sample archetypes don't really help, either. The older characters seem to fit my interpretation, but the young adults go both ways. The Heir doesn't have a flaw at all, while the Noble does (in animal handling).
Arcturus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Davechan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:09 am

I believe that the statement on p88 is an artefact of how the system used to work, and that the table on p49 supercedes it. This is mostly just a gut reaction thing, but the bit on p88 just doesn;t "feel" right. I'm definitely going with the table and ignoring that line, anyway.
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby kckolbe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:47 am

I never thought of that. I always interpreted it to mean 1 drawback is automatic for each char, and then the table assigns "additional" drawbacks. May need a staff ruling on that though.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Kilted Raven » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:56 am

kckolbe wrote:I never thought of that. I always interpreted it to mean 1 drawback is automatic for each char, and then the table assigns "additional" drawbacks. May need a staff ruling on that though.

Initially my view was the same as yours, but after going through the sample archetypes I noticed some of them don't have a drawback at all in addition to the ones mandated by age, so I assumed that the statement was in error.
Kilted Raven
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Davechan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:01 am

All of the example characters with the exception of the Noble seem to follow the Drawback and Destiny Point rules as presented on p49. (The Squire is Adolescent, not Adult, and thus his score of 3 Destiny Points and 3 Benefits is in line with p49). This leads me to believe that p88 is in error, or was written from the assumption that all characters would start at age Adult. If p88 were to work in conjunction with p49, then all of the example characters ought to have one additional Drawback. (With the exception of the Noble, which appears to have been printed in error - he ought either not have the Drawback he possesses, or receive an additinal Detiny Point for having taken a voluntary Drawback)
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby kckolbe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:03 am

Excellent catch, though I hate to see chars without flaws. Looks like I have a new House Rule.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Kilted Raven » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:21 am

It's a nice system, and I think the benefits are strong enough that taking a drawback looks attractive, especially when you can potentially take -1D to a skill you feel unlikely to use or fits your concept as a weakness.

I've been sketching away at some ideas to expand the Qualities and Flaws system to Noble Houses, as I think it could work well there too.
Stuff like Treacherous Reputation, Spendthrifts, Respected History, Heroic Ancestor, Fair and Just, Warmongers and the like.
Not sure if I'll get enough to make a little optional house ruleset, but I think it would be nice to add some flavour to the different houses.
Kilted Raven
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Davechan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 am

Aye, I like the idea of a House Benefit/Drawback system myself, more than the random history table.
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby kckolbe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:29 am

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 47&start=0

I posted a variant system in that thread.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby jkiley » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:56 pm

As far as I understand, every character must take a Drawback of some kind. Older characters must take more. Rob may overrule me here, though.

jk
Jim Kiley -- Freelance SIFRP Developer
jkiley
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Snaford » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:58 am

I had read it as characters over a certain age had to take a drawback. The question I have is, if you are forced to take a drawback(because of age) do you get an additional destiny point for it?
Snaford
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Davechan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:11 am

Nope - you only get Destiny Points for Drawbacks you voluntarily take. Drawbacks you acquire involuntarily - for instance, from age ata character creation, or as the result of the outcome of a fight (Maimed, Marked or whatever) - don't give you a Destiny POint.
Davechan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby kemowery » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 pm

My understanding, and the way the characters are created, is that the table is correct. Required drawbacks or flaws do not give you extra benefits.

I think it's pretty elegant that way. The drawbacks, flaws, and fewer starting benefit points represent the bad side of growing older. The fewer experience points represent the bad side of being younger.
kemowery
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG