Language, less useful?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Language, less useful?

Postby kckolbe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:26 am

I feel Language may be less useful than the other abilities.

Going from rank 2 to rank 3 gains one literacy, definitely worthwhile.

Now, going from 3 to 4, what does it do? There is no bonus for eloquence unless you have the benefit, but one could spend less points and go first using other means that provide additional bonuses (Status). Also, 60 points to become moderately proficient in another language? Granted, there are bonuses for speaking one's native tongue in intrigue, but for 60 points one could just get extra points in Persuasion, and ALWAYS have a bonus in intrigues.

I suggest lowering the point cost of raising the Language skill beyond three by half (30 points for every 2 ranks). In addition, eloquence may be rolled as a free action at the start of every intrigue with Easy (3) Difficulty. Each success grants +1B that can be used in any round. A new Benefit could be added.

Silver Tongue: Double the number of bonus dice received from Eloquence rolls. Your bonus dice from this may allow your bonus dice to exceed test dice.

Any thoughts?
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Kilted Raven » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 am

Make a Challenging (9) Language test at the start of any Intrigue combat.
Each degree of success gives you +1B to spend during that fight on a roll of your choice.

Essentially gives a small mechanical benefit to someone who is eloquent and can find the right words to express their argument.
I wouldn't go with Easy (3) because that way everyone gets a bonus due to their native skill. Making it a (9) means your average person isn't going to get a bonus as standard.
Kilted Raven
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG