Valyrian Steel question

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Valyrian Steel question

Postby warden » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi again...

Quick question about Valyrian steel weapons. On page 81, it states that a weapon made from Valyrian steel increases the damage by +1 and you automatically gain an additional free degree of success. On page 124 it also states that Valyrian steel weapons are made of extraordinary quality (+1 to damage), which also has the benefits of a superior weapon (+1 to hit).

So just to clarify, Valyrian steel weapons are +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and grant an additional degree of success on a successful hit?
warden
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm

I believe the "extraordinary quality" remark is fluff, and shouldn't be stacked with the written bonus for Valyrian steel.

On another note, did anyone see if there was a cost modifier for castle-forged steel, dragonbone or valyrian steel? I realize the issue is rarity moreso than cost, but castle-forged arms should be easy enough to come by.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby warden » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:53 pm

kckolbe wrote:I believe the "extraordinary quality" remark is fluff, and shouldn't be stacked with the written bonus for Valyrian steel.

On another note, did anyone see if there was a cost modifier for castle-forged steel, dragonbone or valyrian steel? I realize the issue is rarity moreso than cost, but castle-forged arms should be easy enough to come by.

Actually the only weapons that are extraordinary quality are Valyrian steel weapons, and their bonuses are right on page 124, so I would think that they do stack, and if anything the Heirloom quality is in error.

As for modifiers, I would impose them, reducing the cost of poor quality weapons by 1/2 and increasing the cost of Castle Forged weapons by at least x5. My impression is that they are called castle forged because they are made so well the only hope to find one would be to have one made by a blacksmith with the tools and training provided by or attracted to a castle. Groups that invest the 10 points into an Artisan have the added advantage of having their weapons start off as castle forged, but would need to buy replacements or additional weapons at some kind of modifier. Just my thoughts...
warden
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 pm

I would stack them. On p 124 is says Valyrian Steel weapons are Extraordinary and also carry the benefits of Superior.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby warden » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Jon Snow wrote:I would stack them. On p 124 is says Valyrian Steel weapons are Extraordinary and also carry the benefits of Superior.

Yep, those were my thoughts...
warden
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kilted Raven » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:57 am

I'm also pretty sure that Heirloom has a problem with the prereqs. You can only buy it if you take Heir, which doesn't really make sense.
If we were doing the Starks in character gen; Robb Stark can buy the advantage to have the Greatsword Ice, but Ned Stark can't?

I'll be amending my version of Heirloom to require either Heir or Head of House. Not every Lord has kids yet, after all. And some may not hand over their precious Valyrian sword either (Randyll Tarly and Sam, for example).
Kilted Raven
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Talassa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 am

Don't forget that you don't usually start as a Lord. You get to play Robb but not Ned.

As such, the default prerequisite for a PC to own a Heirloom is to be an Heir.

If and when such Heir becomes a Lord, he should keep the Heirloom.

For that matter note that "If you lose or give away this weapon, you lose this quality and the Destiny Points used to acquire it." P81

The above indicates that once aquired, the Quality becomes Equipment - that can be given, lost, aquired as such - meaning that you should treat the prerequisite with a grain of salt, specially after play begins.

Of course, if you want to have a PC start as a Lord, it makes perfect sense to let him start with Heirloom - it's just not the default situation.

I wonder if the automatic gain of an additional free degree of success aplies only to Heirlooms or all Valyrian (extraordinary quality) weapons.
Talassa
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jamboxx » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Without having read any of the book yet, doesn't this refer to character creation? If so, I'm sure you can acquire an heirloom through play... But to start with one you have to play by the rules.
Jamboxx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zebuleon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 am

if your already a lord you are really no longer an heir, you've already gained your inheritance. If anything I would allow such a person to have an heirloom without the heir advantage. unless he wanted to be heir to the king or someone of a higher status.
zebuleon
Cohort
Cohort

Postby warden » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Heirloom (Revision); SIFRP, Page 81
Replace with the following text and be sure to notate the changes on Table 5−1.

Requires Head of House or Heir

You inherited the Valyrian steel weapon that has been in your family for countless generations. Valyrian steel weapons are typically swords or daggers, but with your Narrator’s permission, you may apply this benefit to a different weapon. See page 124 for details on these weapons.

warden wrote:
Actually the only weapons that are extraordinary quality are Valyrian steel weapons, and their bonuses are right on page 124, so I would think that they do stack, and if anything the Heirloom quality is in error.

Yep, thought that was gonna happen. Thanks so much for clearing it up!
warden
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG