Starting coin?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Starting coin?

Postby Knight Marshal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:55 pm

OK, confusion with status aside, I see where it says make a status test to determine the number of gold you start with, but nowhere have I found how to conduct the test.

Is the difficulty of the test 0?
Is the best you can get is 16+ which would give you 4 gold?
Unless I am missing something, that really isn't much money. IT would buy one Bravossi sword and then you are pretty much broke.

So how is this done and if it is in the book, could someone point me to the page?

Thanks
Knight Marshal
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Starting coin?

Postby LordofSaxony » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 pm

Knight Marshal wrote:OK, confusion with status aside, I see where it says make a status test to determine the number of gold you start with, but nowhere have I found how to conduct the test.

Is the difficulty of the test 0?
Is the best you can get is 16+ which would give you 4 gold?
Unless I am missing something, that really isn't much money. IT would buy one Bravossi sword and then you are pretty much broke.

So how is this done and if it is in the book, could someone point me to the page?

Thanks

Don't forget, in this game a Gold Dragon is worth a LOT of money. Each gold dragon is worth 210 silver stags (ss). reference page, 121.
LordofSaxony
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knight Marshal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 pm

I found the conversion rate for coins, but with a Bravossi blade and other items costing 800 or so silver stags, then unless we get a lot of gold coins, then money will not go very far especially if you are a noble sort and expected to dress the part.

I am trying to remake my d20 character as close as I can who was a blood member of a minor house.
Knight Marshal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Roll your status. The total you roll is the amount of gold dragons you begin with. Roll a 10 you have ten dragons.

Look on p. 49 at the example
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby LordofSaxony » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm

I suppose you can do the reverse of "investing 200 Gold Dragons for +1 Wealth for your House" and get a bunch of Gold Dragons right off the bat, but your lowering your house Wealth in doing so. Reference, pg 118

:P
LordofSaxony
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knight Marshal » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:59 am

Jon Snow wrote:Roll your status. The total you roll is the amount of gold dragons you begin with. Roll a 10 you have ten dragons.

Look on p. 49 at the example

I guess you are referring to the sample character creation examples scattered throughout the book. I didn't think to look there.

Why didn't they just say roll a number of d6 equal to your status instead of making it a status test with no mention of difficulty or how to interpret the results.
Knight Marshal
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG