Question re: Flaws

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Question re: Flaws

Postby hedgewizard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 am

Under Flaws, you select an ability and you now receive -1D penalty. It adds, "For how these flaws might manifest... see the following chart."

Then for each flaw, it suggests things like, "you must re-roll any die result of 6 and accept the second roll."

SO.... is it both, or either? Does character have a static -1D penalty to using that ability AND they have to re-roll 6's -OR- do they take the penalty or the re-roll 6's?

It seems to suggest that it is a AND operator; that you take both the penalty die and the other detailed penalty.
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 pm

You may be misreading it. A Flaw is a particular type of drawback that affects a certain ability. It is placed in alphabetical order with the other DRAWBACKS. Flaws incur a -1D penalty. The other drawbacks have other effects.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby hedgewizard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:28 pm

very likely I am, but if you look at the chart under flaw and look at fighting as an example, the flaw listed there (as how the flaw might manifest) is Inept.

Inept is also a drawback; so the implication would appear that you can take the flaw and describe it as being inept, which is different than the drawback of inept. OR is it suggesting that if you take the fighting flaw, you get -1D in Fighting and you suffer the drawback of Inept as well?

Do you see what I am saying?
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 pm

hedgewizard wrote:very likely I am, but if you look at the chart under flaw and look at fighting as an example, the flaw listed there (as how the flaw might manifest) is Inept.

Inept is also a drawback; so the implication would appear that you can take the flaw and describe it as being inept, which is different than the drawback of inept. OR is it suggesting that if you take the fighting flaw, you get -1D in Fighting and you suffer the drawback of Inept as well?

Do you see what I am saying?

If you take the Flaw for Fighting you might describe it as being Inept at Fighting. You could just as easily describe your flaw in Fighting as squeamish or anything else suitable. You would not have the specific Drawback of Inept.

The Drawback Inept doesn't affect Fighting. This Inept is directed toward clumsiness and affects Agility.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby hedgewizard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Jon Snow wrote:If you take the Flaw for Fighting you might describe it as being Inept at Fighting. You could just as easily describe your flaw in Fighting as squeamish or anything else suitable. You would not have the specific Drawback of Inept.

The Drawback Inept doesn't affect Fighting. This Inept is directed toward clumsiness and affects Agility.

I think that is reasonable!
hedgewizard
Cohort
Cohort

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG