Advanced "Healing" rules.

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Advanced "Healing" rules.

Postby Brimstone » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:09 pm

In the Quick-Start rules, as long as you have a person with Healing ability providing treatment, the characters wounds can never get worse. This is way too nerfed for my tastes.

The rules don't state a character can't use the Healing ability on himself. I assume he can. If I'm understanding the rules correctly, as long as a character has Healing, they'll never die from Injuries and Wounds.

My current solution I'm thinking about...

A character recieves no penalties from Injuries and Wounds on Endurance healing Tests. A character using his own Healing ability will recieve penalties as normal (So a Injuried/Wounded character is going to be Testing his Healing ability with some penalties).

No Treatment:

A character healing without a physician to provide treament Tests all Endurance checks with a Die Cap of "5" for Injuries and a Die Cap of "4" for Wounds.

With Treatment:

A physician Tests his Healing skill. Each degree of success gives a bonus d6 (1B) to the characters Endurance Test. Each two degrees of failure results in a (1P) d6 penalty. Healing is Tested for each Injury and Wound.

A character healing with a physician providing treatment Tests all Endurance checks for Injuries normally (i.e. no Die Cap) and a Die Cap of "5" for Wounds.

Different quality healing balms and such can have different bonus effects: Raising the Die Cap, giving a bonus die, and giving a bonus exploding die.

A very good Herbalist might have ointment that raises the Die Cap one level and gives two bonus exploding dice. This would be rare and expensive.
Brimstone
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MrTact » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Actually, from perusing the rules today it looks like it would be pretty easy to die (barring use of Destiny points). Also, if you use Healing on yourself, I'm guessing the injury/wound penalties apply to the roll.

If Healing doesn't have its upside (usable on other people + no chance of worsening the damage on a crit failure) then there's no point for anyone to take it. Might as well just pump up Endurance/Stamina instead.
MrTact
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jkiley » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:51 am

Exploding die? Exploding dice aren't used anywhere else in the game. Why introduce them here?
jkiley
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Brimstone » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:58 pm

jkiley wrote:Exploding die? Exploding dice aren't used anywhere else in the game. Why introduce them here?

The "E" dice are just an option to add a little flavor. I also give players the option to "fork" any d6 result landing on the current die cap into 2d6. The normal die cap is "6", so most of the time whenever is six is rolled the player can fork it. So if a die cap "3" is in effect, only a 3 can be forked.

Dice Forking:

A player rolls 3d6 with the results 2,3, and 6. The total is 11. The player decides to "Fork" the 6, so it is removed and replaced by 2d6, with the roll resulting in 4 and 5. The final total is 14.

Another example with a die cap in effect.

A player has a die cap of 4. He rolls 5d6 with the results 1,1,4,6, and 5. Both the 6 and 5 are over the die cap so they count as zero (discarded). The current total is 6. The player has the option of forking the 4 into 2d6. He does so and rolls a 1 and 6. The six is discarded because it is over the die cap. The final total is 3.

Exploding dice can be used to represent very high quality items (or weapons like swords). A regular herb might give 1d6 bonus to a healing roll. A very exotic herb will raise the die cap one level and give +1d6E to a healing roll. You would need to either make the "E" dice a different color, or roll them seperately.

MrTact wrote:If Healing doesn't have its upside (usable on other people + no chance of worsening the damage on a crit failure) then there's no point for anyone to take it. Might as well just pump up Endurance/Stamina instead.

With my proposed method, if there is no person to provide "healing", the character falls into the "No Treatment" category with lower die caps. Even a person with a very high Endurance has a lot of incentive to try to avoid this.
Brimstone
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:17 pm

[quote="Brimstone"]

A player has a die cap of 4. He rolls 5d6 with the results 1,1,4,6, and 5. Both the 6 and 5 are over the die cap so they count as zero (discarded). The current total is 6. The player has the option of forking the 4 into 2d6. He does so and rolls a 1 and 6. The six is discarded because it is over the die cap. The final total is 3.

I don't think that is how die caps work.

A player has a die cap of 4. He rolls 5d6 with the results 1,1,4,6, and 5.

In this case the 5 and 6 would count as 4s, being limited to the cap. Therefore, his total would be 14.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Brimstone » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:51 pm

kckolbe wrote:
I don't think that is how die caps work.

A player has a die cap of 4. He rolls 5d6 with the results 1,1,4,6, and 5.

In this case the 5 and 6 would count as 4s, being limited to the cap. Therefore, his total would be 14.

If you are referring to Star Wars d6 game system, in the first edition rules companion the dice would count as zero if it rolled over the "die cap". In second edition they changed it to roll over the cap the die counted as the maximum possible.

Counting the dice as zero is better in my opinion. You just push the dice over the "die cap" off to the side and count the rest. Plus with the option to "fork" it works better because of the increasing chances of zero results the lower the "die cap" is.
Brimstone
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG