PBP game with some testing of the system

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

PBP game with some testing of the system

Postby Skyman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm

So I'm going to be running a pbp game (which a couple people on this board already know about) here (if you're interested feel free to apply).

Anyway, I'm planning to use some of the rules in the quickstart (in a bit lighter version), and then switching over to the full rules when they're released. What I was wondering about was if anyone sees pitfalls in doing a game not using the premade adventure. Are there big gaps for a more political game? Will the intrigue rules work as well for high level maneuverings as for debates in the inn at the crossroads? I also want to keep the option of using the fief rules later, but I'm afraid that the lands I come up with won't be easily convertible.

I'll probably just have arbitrary character creation making something close to the sample characters. Looking forward to having access to the rules for traits and such...

PS If I'm not supposed to advertise for games in this part of the forum I can take the link out.
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Most rpgs don't have any social combat rules at all, and still do political intrigue perfectly well, so you should be fine. :)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Skyman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Yeah, I've run political games before that have worked pretty well. I'm just wondering whether it's a good idea to use the social combat for political maneuverings or just rp it instead...
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:34 pm

It depends.

In most games, the talk you have with the Count on whether you should go save the Princess is just a formality. Everyone knows where the adventure is, and saying "no" would mean there was no adventure.

The social combat rules makes it possible to set up a meeting/intrigue etc with several outcomes. In this case it might not be satisfying to leave the outcome entirely up to the wit and charm of the players.

You might already from the beginning make it clear that this isn't a case where the most social players step forward and talk the talk until the GM is satisfied, then proceeds with the plot. Instead the field is open for all sorts of outcomes, where the abilities of the characters have significance.

If not anything else, this should at least make players avoid Charisma as a dump stat... 8)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Skyman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 am

You're right about that, thanks. I'm leaning towards using social combat at some big 'turning point' discussions but not always. I'm not too concerned about people taking it as a dump stat, but the ability to have multiple outcomes that aren't just at the whim of the GM is helpful.
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm

My immediate reaction to the social combat rules was that the first part, where you see the direct parallels to normal combat are good. Really good.

I would probably ditch the rest, though, where it becomes rather involved. (That is, bunching together all types of intrigue as one attack form).

The designers did tell me the full rulebook would contain advice on exactly this, running abbreviated social combat rules. (I wonder if the option to have the short rules in the Quick-Start and the exhaustive ones in the full rules ever came up...? :wink: )
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Pencil Pusher » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Where are you running it? And is it open to lurkers -- If all the slots aren't taken I'd be interested.
Pencil Pusher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lord Mormont » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:35 am

Pencil Pusher wrote:Where are you running it? And is it open to lurkers -- If all the slots aren't taken I'd be interested.

Click on the light blue shaded 'here' in the first paragraph of Skyman's first post.
Lord Mormont
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Skyman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks, Mormont's right.

There are still slots open if you want to play, and lurkers are fine.
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG