Noble House preview

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Noble House preview

Postby Skyman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 am

http://greenronin.com/sifrp/2008/07/sifrp_the_noble_house.php

It looks interesting to me so far, though we don't have much crunch to go on yet, so I'll have to see how the rules for fortune, house actions, and all those resources actually work.

I was a bit worried at first that 'all characters are members of a noble house' would be a difficult default to get away from, but it doesn't seem like they went that far with it (and the quickstart adventure seems like it would work fine with a group that's not from one house).

I can imagine the house design/management process being either tedious or very fun, but I'm looking forward to trying my hand. If nothing else it should be a nice tool for the GM to estimate the power of NPC lords, etc.
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:01 pm

This game looks more and more to be the perfect fit for the Birthright AD&D campaign world!
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Patchface » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm

From what we know so far, I don't think the Noble House rules will be necessary (or even overly useful) for the type of games I was a part of in the past. They seem to bring a strategy element to the game, which in itself I don't want to criticize at all (on the contrary!), but which may not be suitable for all gaming groups/campaign concepts.

The house design process, for example, doesn't seem worth the time and effort if the campaign you want to run consists of a rather short series of events, or if it isn't centered on the PCs' house being in competition with other noble houses, etc.

However, in conjunction with the influence and the promised mass combat rules, this could be a whole different kind of Westerosi experience in addition to the more "conservative" type of gaming I've been doing; some kind of strategy-rpg with less actual roleplaying and more planning (maybe even turn-based) in a grand-scale, long-term campaign. I'd sure love to try something like that. (If only I had some more free time on my hands... :roll:)
Patchface
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pencil Pusher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Zapp wrote:This game looks more and more to be the perfect fit for the Birthright AD&D campaign world!

And that is never a bad thing. 8)
Pencil Pusher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rhybard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm

The more I see of the game the more I like. Also, looks like this game could also easily fit the HarnWorld setting as well.
Rhybard
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG