Weapon Damage

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Weapon Damage

Postby sinisterthings » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:19 pm

I just picked up the PDF and haven't finished reading it yet, but I already have a couple of questions.

The weapons table on page 9 of the SIF Fastplay rules lists the damage for Fist as Athletics - 3. I did not see anywhere a statement to the effect that "minimum damage is 1." Is the minimum damage 1?

How do Bonus dice in Athletic affect damage, if at all? I assume someone like The Mountain might have Athletics 4, 4B Strength. How is damage calculated in this case?
sinisterthings
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Weapon Damage

Postby Patchface » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:41 pm

I don't think there's an answer to either question in the quick-start rules, but I'll give it a try nonetheless.

sinisterthings wrote:The weapons table on page 9 of the SIF Fastplay rules lists the damage for Fist as Athletics - 3. I did not see anywhere a statement to the effect that "minimum damage is 1." Is the minimum damage 1?

I don't see why it should be. If a character with an average Athletics score of 2 should roll a total of 3 or less, he probably deals no damage on that attack (due to the -3 modifier).

sinisterthings wrote:How do Bonus dice in Athletic affect damage, if at all? I assume someone like The Mountain might have Athletics 4, 4B Strength. How is damage calculated in this case?

Based on what I've seen so far, I can see two answers to this question:

1) Bonus dice don't affect damage at all; or

2) it works like a passive test (see p. 5). So in the example above, Gregor would add +4 to his damage.

I'd lean towards answer 1, but for a definite ruling we'll have to wait for one of the developers to drop by and answer your questions. Or wait 'til October... (sigh)
Last edited by Patchface on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patchface
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby sinisterthings » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Patchface wrote:I don't see why it should be. If a character with an average Athletics score of 2 should roll a total of 3 or less, he probably deals no damage on that attack (due to the -3 modifier).

But damage isn't rolled.* It is your base damage times the degree of success. If your Athletics is 4, your base damage for 1 for a Fist and 5 for a Longsword. The damage for a Fist would be 1, 2, 3, or 4. The damage for a Longsword would be 5, 10, 15, or 20.

*: Unless I'm severely misreading every combat example given.
sinisterthings
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Patchface » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:57 pm

You're perfectly right. I got confused there for a bit... :oops:

Without that error, I can see arguments for both "minimum damage of 1" and "minimum damage of 0". :-?
Patchface
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Patchface » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:11 pm

Patchface wrote:
sinisterthings wrote:How do Bonus dice in Athletic affect damage, if at all? I assume someone like The Mountain might have Athletics 4, 4B Strength. How is damage calculated in this case?

Based on what I've seen so far, I can see two answers to this question:

1) Bonus dice don't affect damage at all; or

2) it works like a passive test (see p. 5). So in the example above, Gregor would add +4 to his damage.

After re-reading the combat chapter, I'm pretty sure answer 1 is correct; bonus dice don't affect damage at all.

In the example on p. 13, Gerard has Fighting 4 (Long Blades 4), but the damage he deals is only derived from his Fighting ability.

Also, the Powerful weapon quality on the same page allows a character to add his/her Strength bonus to damage; so that weapon quality aside, a character's Strength bonus does not matter when it comes to damage.

So it seems that, under normal circumstances, Specialties may only grant a bonus to Attack tests, but not to Damage.
Patchface
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby sinisterthings » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Patchface wrote:In the example on p. 13, Gerard has Fighting 4 (Long Blades 4), but the damage he deals is only derived from his Fighting ability.

I think that's just a coincidence that his Athletics is 4 (see also my comment in the Errata thread). Because the Weapon table clearly bases damage on Athletics and not Fighting.

Patchface wrote:Also, the Powerful weapon quality on the same page allows a character to add his/her Strength bonus to damage; so that weapon quality aside, a character's Strength bonus does not matter when it comes to damage.

Ok. In the context of Powerful, it makes sense. (I don't particularly like it, but I understand what the rule is.)
sinisterthings
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Patchface » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:50 am

sinisterthings wrote:
Patchface wrote:In the example on p. 13, Gerard has Fighting 4 (Long Blades 4), but the damage he deals is only derived from his Fighting ability.

I think that's just a coincidence that his Athletics is 4 (see also my comment in the Errata thread). Because the Weapon table clearly bases damage on Athletics and not Fighting.

Right. :roll:

sinisterthings wrote:
Patchface wrote:Also, the Powerful weapon quality on the same page allows a character to add his/her Strength bonus to damage; so that weapon quality aside, a character's Strength bonus does not matter when it comes to damage.

Ok. In the context of Powerful, it makes sense. (I don't particularly like it, but I understand what the rule is.)

I'm glad I was able to make one valid argument last night. :)

It'd be cool if the system let you customize weapons, buying weapon qualities during character creation (or later). That way, The Mountain's gauntlet/fist could have the Powerful extra, but not for free (which would be a good thing, imo).
Patchface
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Aran MacFiona » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Bonus dice have an indirect effect on damages. If I understood correctly how bonus dice work, they raise significantly the degree of success. And the higher the degree of success the higher the damages done.
I like this way to deal with damage a lot. It's both elegant but stay simple while being realistic. I've always disliked having to throw dice to get how many damages were done regardless of how successful the attack was.
Aran MacFiona
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby sinisterthings » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:44 pm

The degree of success is based on Fighting (or Marksmanship), so bonus dice to Athletics for Strength, doesn't increase the degree of success of the attack. Also (and I haven't run all the numbers, so bear with me), adding a single bonus die tends to give lower totals (and lower degrees of success) than having the next higher rank.
sinisterthings
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG