Could this be the next True20?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Could this be the next True20?

Postby ilanemanuel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:52 pm

I love this system! I picked up a copy of the quick start rules on Free RPG Day and I think it is without a doubt one of the most flexible and elegant rpg systems I have seen for a while, if ever.

The only problem is that I am not overly exited about the Song of Ice and Fire setting itself, and I think the system could be adapted to so many other settings and genres.

I realize that it is still early days but are there any plans to do with this system what was done with the Blue Rose system i.e. taking a great system from a one game and adapting it to a more generic system?

If there are no such plans or thoughts in that direction, then may this be the first vote for such a move.
ilanemanuel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:19 am

We have talked about it, but there aren't concrete plans at the moment. We'll really need to see how the finished game is received before making such a decision.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby ilanemanuel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for responding. I figured you would have to wait and see how the game was recieved, but I'm happy that you have considered expanding the system to other games. It gives me hope that in a few years we might see a generic version of the system (True6?)
ilanemanuel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby bushido11 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:10 pm

There is already a d6-based system out there called the d6 System by West End Games... But I'm still interested to see how Green Ronin will go about it, since I'm more interested in the system than the setting for now.
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Brudewollen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:00 pm

I like what I've seen so far and hope to run the intro adventure in our gaming group at some point soon. I think we'll keep playing D&D in one form or another, but I might be running a game later in the year with a different group and - if I can convince them - maybe I'll use this system if it does the things I want.

I would likely not run it in the Westeros setting, I really like running and playing in homebrew worlds, but the campaign I have been thinking of running for a while now owes a lot to GRRM's books, so as a system it could maybe easily fit with minimal changes. I'll have my own kings and courtly intrigue - it always just feels less confining to me.
Brudewollen
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Ninasie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:33 pm

I picked up the free PDF of the rules, and after reading them for a while I just got the urge to use them so now I'm halfway through running the adventure for my gaming group.

<aside>I say half way, after one session they have reached the inn, I could get this to last at least 4 sessions, it's just my group</aside>

I too think that the system is elegant and has some very nice ideas. I think it's the whole interaction section is very cool.

I like the True20 system for it's familiarity to D&D. I'd have to take a good look at the SIFRP rulebook to see what the full rules are like. The fastplay rules do not address character creation or advancement, amongst a horde of other things.

I've liked what I've seen so far and I'm 100% sure that I'll be getting the SIFRP book when it comes out.

As a replacement to True20, I'm not sure it would work. True20 is a way for GM's to wean players away from D&D and into the wilder world of role-playing. So at the moment I don't see any advantage for GR making a new rule set that competes with one of it's own product lines.
Ninasie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Origami » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Ninasie wrote:As a replacement to True20, I'm not sure it would work. True20 is a way for GM's to wean players away from D&D and into the wilder world of role-playing. So at the moment I don't see any advantage for GR making a new rule set that competes with one of it's own product lines.

This is what Mongoose Games does and they are just fine... not only just fine but one of the faster expanding companies. Just because of the nature of gaming, simple business rules like the above do not always apply.
Origami
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rhybard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Ninasie wrote:As a replacement to True20, I'm not sure it would work. True20 is a way for GM's to wean players away from D&D and into the wilder world of role-playing. So at the moment I don't see any advantage for GR making a new rule set that competes with one of it's own product lines.

To me the advantage would be having a choice of rule sets. I personally would rather use this system over the True20 system (as I am not a huge fan of d20 or derivatives of it). Which means more options for customers who would like something different.

Origami wrote:This is what Mongoose Games does and they are just fine... not only just fine but one of the faster expanding companies. Just because of the nature of gaming, simple business rules like the above do not always apply.

ICE does the same thing with RMC, HARP, and RMSS, though similar systems each one is different and competes against the others. From what I seen they are successful at it as well.

If the cost is low enough for a company to develop and carry multiple product lines I think its a great thing, especially when it offers choices.
Rhybard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:17 am

As an aside,
Rhybard wrote:ICE does the same thing with RMC, HARP, and RMSS, though similar systems each one is different and competes against the others. From what I seen they are successful at it as well.

Well, I could only agree if your definition of successful means "barely staying afloat"... :wink:

If ICE could only choose one of their systems (and one only) and focus solely on that one, perhaps they could again become a factor.

I really wanted to like HARP, but it didn't take long before I realized it wasn't subjected to any meaningful amount of balancing, with the authors not even comprehending any need for it. Since D&D 3E spoiled me in that department, I won't ever go back to the bad old days.

ICE simply is a far too small company to maintain so many complex game lines; and I would say they're actually able to do not much more than basic life-support.

In contrast, Green Ronin consistently impresses me with their ability to create much with little, and I guess that explains why we're here instead of there...

(Yes, that was completely off-topic, and a bit of a rant too. I'm done now :) )
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Rhybard » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:45 am

Not really to digress or stay off topic on this thread,

Zapp wrote:I really wanted to like HARP, but it didn't take long before I realized it wasn't subjected to any meaningful amount of balancing, with the authors not even comprehending any need for it. Since D&D 3E spoiled me in that department, I won't ever go back to the bad old days.

I would have to disagree, I prefer HARP and RMC over d20 and feel its a better balanced and defined game than d20, but alas that is my opinion :) and this isn't the place to argue the merits of either game.

Zapp wrote:In contrast, Green Ronin consistently impresses me with their ability to create much with little, and I guess that explains why we're here instead of there...

I would agree that Green Ronin does an excellent job at the products it releases, but I am here because I like A Song of Ice and Fire, am interested in the world and also like investigating new games.

If you would like to discuss this further you can PM me.
Rhybard
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG