Quickstart rules sleak on rpg.net

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Quickstart rules sleak on rpg.net

Postby _x_ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:31 am

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=398245&page=7

A game store owner (apparently) has a copy of the quikkie rules and is telling us stuff. Check it out. Looks pretty sweet.

Only thing I don't like is that the game uses Destiny Points! So yeah I guess as long as you have a dp you wont die. :( Hope its not true but lets see.
_x_
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zapp » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am

On the other hand, Fate Points (or whatever they're called) enable the story to move on despite a freak arrow.

Better to have it in and for those who don't like it to take it out (which tends to be as easy as saying "you don't get any DPs"), than not having it in and forcing those who like it to come up with a whole new mechanism all by themselves (repeating that work for each and every group).

:)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby _x_ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:08 am

An even better option would be,though, to ensure the game is well designed enough so that there are no freak arrow incidents. :)
_x_
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pencil Pusher » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 am

_x_ wrote:An even better option would be,though, to ensure the game is well designed enough so that there are no freak arrow incidents. :)

As long as dice are involved there will be freak accidents. Hero, GURP, D&D, d20, CoC, MERP, WOD, all have freaky times when the dice hate you or they love you [Recalls the Marvel Supers character with two 00s, a 99, and a 98 on character creation].
Pencil Pusher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Skyman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm a little wary about what I see about you choosing what happens to your defeated enemy (and about destiny points) but everything else looks awesome (lots more combat actions than I thought), and I doubt things will be too hard to mod if I have some issues.

I'm going to refrain to going to much more into it until I actually see the book/pdf, but I'm pretty excited.
Skyman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tharen the Damned » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:01 am

Let me assure you that the dp mechanics are more elaborate than just to avert the freak arrow.
A dp can help you to avert death. But there will be a drawback. So instead of being dead, you end up maimed.
Yeah, Westeros is tough!
Tharen the Damned
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Quickstart rules sleak on rpg.net

Postby Mad Professor Ludlow » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:20 am

_x_ wrote:A game store owner (apparently) has a copy of the quikkie rules and is telling us stuff. Check it out. Looks pretty sweet.

Only thing I don't like is that the game uses Destiny Points! So yeah I guess as long as you have a dp you wont die. :( Hope its not true but lets see.

I'm not a game store owner :wink:

Give Destiny Points another look once you get the QSR.. they're not "Get Out Of Jail Free Cards", and they're not exactly abundant, either (4 of 6 of the pre-gens only have 1 DP each)
Mad Professor Ludlow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby morbiczer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:46 am

Does anyone know when and where the Quick Start Rules will be available as a PDF?
morbiczer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby timemrick » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 am

IIRC, Chris Pramas has said elsewhere on these forums that the Quick-Start would be available in PDF form sometime in the next two weeks or so. And it will almost certainly be in either the GR store or on a support page for SIFRP.
timemrick

Postby morbiczer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:35 am

Two weeks?

I was hoping for Monday. :)
morbiczer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angel_lord » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:55 pm

I have to admit, that as one of the people unable to make it to free games day, I was hoping it might be available sooner here.

Ah well.
angel_lord
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby _x_ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 am

Mad Professor Ludlow wrote:
_x_ wrote:A game store owner (apparently) has a copy of the quikkie rules and is telling us stuff. Check it out. Looks pretty sweet.

I'm not a game store owner :wink:

Hmm, I don't suppose you are Mr Martin himself eh? Dunno why but I just get the vibe. :green:
_x_
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby higgins » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 am

Hehe... I think Mr. Martin would never miss a period in the end of the sentence. :lol:
higgins
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Mad Professor Ludlow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:19 pm

_x_ wrote:Hmm, I don't suppose you are Mr Martin himself eh? Dunno why but I just get the vibe. :green:

You flatter me, Ser! :)

No, I am not GRRM, just a lucky fan.
Mad Professor Ludlow
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG