A Song of Ice RPG

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

A Song of Ice RPG

Postby Strand0 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:49 pm

George R.R. Martin to license his fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire.

D&D 3.5

or

True 20?

Let the threats and whines commence.

I can't really say much about this. I've never read George R.R. Martin's fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire.

I like the stuff I've read. So it is probably pretty good. :yar:
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Pramas » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Neither. We're designing a new system for the game.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Mike D. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:55 pm

That is awesome news. I am glad to see such a quality company with the license. Looking forward to 2008!

--Mike D.
Mike D.
Bystander
Bystander

Postby One Horse Town » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Groovy.
One Horse Town
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Maester Luwin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:16 pm

This is great news! So it will not be D20 then? Just curious. Keep up the good work & congrats on picking up Martin's World! Thanks Maester Luwin
Maester Luwin
Cohort
Cohort

Postby variant » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Pramas wrote:Neither. We're designing a new system for the game.

Will it be an extension of what Guardians of Order has already done with the license? Will it be an OGL based system or completely unique? Also do you expect to make the rulebook fully colored or black and white?
variant
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 pm

Will it be an extension of what Guardians of Order has already done with the license?

No. Even if we wanted to use the GoO game, the legal situation makes it pretty much impossible.

Will it be an OGL based system or completely unique?

At the moment nothing is off the table, though the latter is more likely.

Also do you expect to make the rulebook fully colored or black and white?

To do this justice it's got to be full color.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Doocc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am

Maester Luwin wrote:This is great news! So it will not be D20 then? Just curious. Keep up the good work & congrats on picking up Martin's World! Thanks Maester Luwin

Great news indeed. How are you Maester Luwin?

I am excited to hear you will build a unique system for ASOIAF. Please keep us posted.
Doocc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Elio Garcia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:50 am

Another excited person chiming in. My fianceé and I worked a bit on GoO's book, and despite the sad fate that met, the team there was really interested in getting right to the heart of the setting and presenting it in a way that's true to the books. Given the fine work with licenses I've seen from GR in the past (the Black Company sourcebook is mighty fine) I fully expect this new RPG line is going to be just as faithful.

Creating a unique system to support it makes sense in this context, so that the setting guides the mechanics from the ground-up. GoO did a great job adapting D20 to the setting, but there's definitely room for other approaches.

One thing I do wonder at ... it's early days yet, but is there any consideration being given towards including mass combat rules in the book?

Also, will the core book take the same approach as GoO's, presenting material on the setting and events up through the first book, or will it be a more general approach to presenting the setting?
Elio Garcia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doocc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:04 am

Elio Garcia wrote:One thing I do wonder at ... it's early days yet, but is there any consideration being given towards including mass combat rules in the book?

Also, will the core book take the same approach as GoO's, presenting material on the setting and events up through the first book, or will it be a more general approach to presenting the setting?

Good questions! Mass combat and stoping after 'A Game of Thrones' were two things that were sorely missing from GoO.
Doocc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby reverend keith » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:11 am

I can see why you are doing that, and I wish you guys the best of luck with the license, but from my end that's definately a bummer.
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Hoo-AH!

Postby ShawnLStroud » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 am

Frankly, I'm very excited about this. You guys have done spectacular jobs with both The Black Company, Thieve's World and True20 books (I only comment on the ones I've purchased here. I'm sure your other products are just as good, if not better.)

I look forward to seeing what you do with A Song of Ice and Fire.
Famous Last Words #455
Say, What does this button do?
ShawnLStroud
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 am

Elio Garcia wrote:One thing I do wonder at ... it's early days yet, but is there any consideration being given towards including mass combat rules in the book?

Yes, certainly.

No, we're going to take a more general approach, as the title indicates.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Monteblanco » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:02 am

reverend keith wrote:

I can see why you are doing that, and I wish you guys the best of luck with the license, but from my end that's definately a bummer.

In my view, the fact that a new system is being made tailored to the setting is exactly what excites me regarding this project. I pretty confident Green Ronin will do justice to the novels and I am looking forward to check out which mechanical novelties they will introduce.
Monteblanco
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Elio Garcia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 am

Pramas wrote:No, we're going to take a more general approach, as the title indicates.

Very interesting. I wasn't sure whether the title was a general header for the line, or for the specific product. That certainly suggests there'll be some more information about the mechanics of magic than what GoO's attempt afforded.

Thanks. :)
Elio Garcia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby variant » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:37 am

Pramas wrote:To do this justice it's got to be full color.

Yay. :)

Pramas wrote:No, we're going to take a more general approach, as the title indicates.

Will the book encompass information up to A Feast For Crows or the upcoming A Dance With Dragons?

Will it contain information pre-A Game of Thrones such as information found in the Hedge Knight?

Will there be Magic rules in the first book?
variant
Bystander
Bystander

Postby reverend keith » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:52 am

Monteblanco wrote:In my view, the fact that a new system is being made tailored to the setting is exactly what excites me regarding this project. I pretty confident Green Ronin will do justice to the novels and I am looking forward to check out which mechanical novelties they will introduce.

Oh, that's totally cool. It's just that is the thing that turns me off of it.

I'm positive that GR will do a great job with this game. It's just that I need a new system like I need a new hole in my head.
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby JCarl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 pm

This is the best RPG news I've read all year (heck, maybe in two or three years). Congratulations, Green Ronin! I am agog to know what form the game will take, and will be hard pressed to contain my ASoIaF fanboy curiosity!
JCarl
Bystander
Bystander

Postby variant » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 pm

reverend keith wrote:
Monteblanco wrote:In my view, the fact that a new system is being made tailored to the setting is exactly what excites me regarding this project. I pretty confident Green Ronin will do justice to the novels and I am looking forward to check out which mechanical novelties they will introduce.

Oh, that's totally cool. It's just that is the thing that turns me off of it.

I'm positive that GR will do a great job with this game. It's just that I need a new system like I need a new hole in my head.

I agree. This is why OGL and D20 products are so popular. OGL is flexible enough to handle almost anything with the right adjustments.

It is the reason why I didn't buy the Firefly RPG even though I am a fan of the show. I probably wouldn't have bought the AGoT RPG if it was Tri-stat only.

It always seems to me with any new system, they try to dumb everything down in an attempt to make it simpler.
variant
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:08 pm

variant wrote:Will the book encompass information up to A Feast For Crows or the upcoming A Dance With Dragons?

That's really going to depend on when George finishes A Dance with Dragons. If we can, yes.

Will it contain information pre-A Game of Thrones such as information found in the Hedge Knight?

Well, past history informs all of what's happening in the cycle, so we have to address that.

Will there be Magic rules in the first book?

Bear in mind that we are literally just starting this. The answer is probably yes.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm

variant wrote:I agree. This is why OGL and D20 products are so popular. OGL is flexible enough to handle almost anything with the right adjustments.

Here's the thing though: d20 products are a really hard sell these days unless you are WotC. The days when it made real business sense to attach games to the d20 logo are over.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Monteblanco » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:24 pm

Pramas wrote:Here's the thing though: d20 products are a really hard sell these days unless you are WotC. The days when it made real business sense to attach games to the d20 logo are over.

I can easily understand that. I never thought it was a great idea to a company to depend of a license controlled by its competitor with the largest market share. Sounded like a dangerous business decision. However, I found surprising you aren't willing to adapt your own True 20 to the setting. I hope it is selling well.
Monteblanco
Bystander
Bystander

Bravo!

Postby tetrahedron » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:06 pm

I am so happy that the Green Ronin has picked up this license, and that you are willing to consider adding into it parts that were missing from the GOO copy (magic, mass combat and the like).

Way to go! Can't wait until we see that first book.

T
tetrahedron
Bystander
Bystander

Postby imperialus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Yay! I have the GoO book, and I love it I'm happy to hear that the licence hasn't been thrown into the trash though.

I dont know how viable it would be but have you considered basing something off the WFRP system? I think it would suit GoT really well.
imperialus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:41 pm

imperialus wrote:I dont know how viable it would be but have you considered basing something off the WFRP system? I think it would suit GoT really well.

We don't own WFRP, we just designed the new edition for GW. To use WFRP to power the Ice and Fire game we'd have to make another licensing deal with GW and the additional expense makes that an unattractive proposition I'm afraid.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG