Septons of the Night's Watch

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Septons of the Night's Watch

Postby Flagg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 am

We know Castle Black has a septon, Cellador. Is he a black brother himself, or just a priest assigned to Castle Black by the Faith?

I assume in the latter case, he must have pissed off some powerful members of the church to get assigned to the frozen ass end of the world.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Septons of the Night's Watch

Postby coldwind » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:03 am

Aemon is both a black brother and a maester, so it seems feasible Cellador is both, but I don't recall a passage stating one way or the other.
coldwind
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby BeardedDork » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am

One of the PCs in an upcoming convention scenario I'm writing is a septon who was compelled to take the black. So I was also mulling this one over. The bigger question I had was what about the prohibition against septons using swords, would that still apply to Brothers of the Night's Watch? (My scenario is set very shortly after the Red Wedding) Presumably they would receive the same long blades training as everybody else.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Legate » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

I don't know about this. My first impression would be that Maesters and Septons would be accepted into the Watch as they are to take up a post suited to their already extensive training (medics, logistics, admin, spiritual well being, etc.). These types aren't expected to use a blade in anger (but then I haven't read all the books). But, I suppose if they had an Other bearing down on them they would swig for the bleechers.

If I were to make up a Septon for the Watch I would have be a little more of a Hawk, out spoken, then the rest of the Brotherhood, maybe train with a sword on the sly somewhere. Such a character, if found out, would probably be quietly "assigned" to the Wall.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG