question about long range weapons

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

question about long range weapons

Postby geogus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 am

Hi guys

According to the book, long range weapons cab reach up to 100 yards. Besides that, u can hit targets even far for -1D for each 100 yards.

This sounds odd for me.

IMO, 100 yards is a long distance to shoot someone. Dont u get any penalty for that.

Besides that, shotting someone at 10 yards is, for sure, easier than shottinh someone at 100. But the book give the same mechanics, no penalty.

I mean, u only get penaltys for every 100 yards. It seems a large gap IMO.
Is it correct?

Besides that, what is the maximum range for a long range weapon?
geogus
Bystander
Bystander

Re: question about long range weapons

Postby Kajani » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

The system of this game made it not easy to use smaller steps in penalty. Most people only have three or so dice for shooting, so you could not making smaller steps - or the range would be too small in which people could strike the target. You could argue that another system would also be possible, for example not reducing the dices but giving target a number of bonus points to her combat defence (perhaps 2 each 50 yards or so?) and maybe reduce the combat defence against shoots in less than 10 yards (-2?) but that would be a house-rule.

I would say concerning the distance which you could fire you should see it with a piece of salt, so to speak. 300 and perhaps 400 yards should be the absolute maximum, even if the best archers with 6 dices or more could even shout over 500 yards theoretical...
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Postby Raven2909 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:36 am

I'm tempted to house rule the penalty to be cumulative, so you'd suffer -1D at 200 yards, -3D at 300 and -6D at 400. According to multiple sources the English longbow could reach around 400 yards, but was more effective at 100-200.

Obviously with these rules you couldn't shoot further than 400 yards as you'd take a -10D.
Raven2909
Bystander
Bystander

Postby InfinityzeN » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:47 am

I know thread rez, but my game actually uses a house rule as Raven mentioned. I would like to point out that the 401~500 yard shot with a -10D penalty is makeable since you lose bonus dice first. So the greatest archer in the world could actually shoot at that range with 5d+2 without Blood of Heros (Marksmanship 7D, Bow +7B, Expertise (Bow) +1D, Marksmanship advantage (name slips mind) +1, +1 Castle "Forged" bow).
InfinityzeN
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Captainamerica1a » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

Let us also remember that as mentioned in the warfare section. The rules for army combat are written for scale not realism. It makes it fast and easy to play. 10 yrds is for units throwing spears/javalins vs. 100 yrds for units w bows.100-200 yrds is excellent since unarmored foot units are only moving 40yds a turn and the heavier units are generally moving 10-20. Add any terrain other than flat land and most everyone on foot is now moving 10yrds (or a square for many map users).
Captainamerica1a
Bystander
Bystander

Postby joeyPop » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Interesting thread about bow. I'm new to this weapon may i know some updates about bows :)
A blowgun is a simple weapon consisting of a small tube for firing light projectiles or darts.
joeyPop
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG