In character maps

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

In character maps

Postby Julia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for the in character costs for a map of Westeros? I can't find it in the core rule book.

J
Julia
Bystander
Bystander

Re: In character maps

Postby killjoy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm

couldnt guess a price...i think it would be pretty rare for smallfolk to come by, easy for anyone who belongs to a house...
killjoy
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 am

If you are a member of a house with a Maester, a map is basically free, if you are a servant you probably could not even steal one.
Do what i always like to say:
Do what the story demands.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Paedrig » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 am

I would say it certainly differ - a more accurate map is of course much more expensive than a crude one.

But a more or less exact map should go (i think) at least for 1 gold dragon or more - in medieval times (and even later) maps were very costly...
And a map as accurate as the maps in the campaign guide (if they in fact exist in such a richfullness of details) is certainly even more expensive...

But this is of course only my guessing. :wink:
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 am

Also what kind of map are we talking?
In Medieval times there are numerous kinds:
Representative mape (always with Jerusalem in the middle), city maps, world maps.
Only very occasionally would you have local maps though.
To navigate from one city to the next you use 'Travelbooks', e.g. books which describe the route from one city to the next by landmarks and distances traveled.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Julia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 am

Lots of interesting replies, thank you.

The character in question is the Heir to a noble house, and is trying to get from Kings Landing, to Dorne. I know in the books there are a couple of maps mentioned, Ayra has one at one point for example.

I will chat to the GM and see how much he thinks it should be.

J
Julia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tao Jones » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:57 am

An heir to a noble house should have no trouble finding such a map if they're in King's Landing, if he knows the right people. Now, acquiring it might be tricky if he has any enemies, or even just greedy associates, who are aware of his predicament. This is ASOIAF though, and Murphy's Law tends to reign supreme, so I would expect the Narrator to use this as an opportunity for Intrigue, or maybe even Combat.
Tao Jones
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Julia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 am

Tao Jones wrote:An heir to a noble house should have no trouble finding such a map if they're in King's Landing, if he knows the right people. Now, acquiring it might be tricky if he has any enemies, or even just greedy associates, who are aware of his predicament. This is ASOIAF though, and Murphy's Law tends to reign supreme, so I would expect the Narrator to use this as an opportunity for Intrigue, or maybe even Combat.

As far as I am aware my character doesn't yet have any enemies, but she's only been in kings landing for 2 days...

Also, being Dornish, she is also a female heir, just to complicate things that little bit extra.

J
Julia
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG