Forming Units without House Creation rules

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Forming Units without House Creation rules

Postby Saturno » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:58 pm

One of my players has the CADRE Benefit, a squad of 10 veteran personnal guards and wants to purchase horses to all of them to use in a incoming battle with the assistance of other 4 players. The group has convinced 4 different NPC knights to ride to battle with them. So they pretty much making a Cavalry Unit from intrigue and imagination... and I have no idea of how measure the training of this unit as it mix veteran guards and players with average ride skills and capable knights with Animal Handling at least 4.

Can you guys help me?
Saturno
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Forming Units without House Creation rules

Postby coldwind » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Having an assorted collection of 20 random guys on horses is not necessarily the same as having a cavalry unit. For one, the cavalry unit has drilled and practiced together, and thus not only know each other's strengths and weaknesses, but are also (more) likely to actually care if each other survives.

That all said, I would say the unit gets no benefit from all the experienced knights joining up. Hand-wavy goodness says the added confusion of not knowing each other's capabilities as well renders moot any benefits they might lend. Stat up the unit just with the cadre's stats (since they outnumber the rest of the men), but consider them to be 20 strong. Then, pick 1 PC or secondary character knight to be a hero for the unit (which will give +1D on Fighting/Marksmanship tests and reduce discipline by 3. That'll sort of simulate the benefit of having experienced knights in the mix.
coldwind
Aficionado
Aficionado

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG